What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

I am looking for a reliable, knock around rig. Seems every 20 year old kid with hounds has one that is beat to hell. But what am I missing that makes a 23 year old micro pick up with 200,000 miles worth $11,000?

I just sold a 1998 4Runner with the same 3.4L engine. Who knows what # owner I was. Think I bought it with 170,000. Sold it with 255,000. Invested little into it over the 4+ years I owned it. Reliable? I'd say so. Bullet Proof and Go Anywhere? Hardly.

Wasn't terribly impressed with it in snow, ice and hunting. Almost wrecked it a couple times on what I thought were pretty calculated and slow speed roads.

I've looked on CL across the US. These trucks hold their value coast to coast. Blue book puts them at $3000-$5000 in excellent condition. But they all go for way more than that. I was contemplating a move on a 1998 this week. Extra cab V6 with 106,000. Listed for $12,000. I wasn't going to leave work to make a play on it. It sold within a few hours the first day it was listed. Seller was cool. Told me he let it go for $11,000.

Just wanted to know Am I missing something? Not even sure these trucks are big enough for me and two dogs and duck hunting gear, or a bow and a critter in the bed.

Rob5589

WKR
Like most things, they are worth what people pay for them. I contemplated a Tacoma a couple years ago when in the market. In the end it just didn't do what I needed, especially for the price.

Geewhiz

WKR
I'm with ya man, I don't get it. I had a 1993 4x4 extra cab pickup in pretty good shape with 130k miles. I listed it for $6500 and immediately had people lined up to buy it. Its a 28 year old pickup for goodness sakes and its not they're diesels or can haul mega loads or anything, and honestly my f150's seam to get around better, specifically in the snow.

They have a following, that's for sure. I mean sure I liked mine, but good grief people pay out the azz for them. Even hagged out beat to crap toyotas get alot of money.

JRMiller

WKR
Not sure why but Toyotas where i live are coveted with rediculous price tags even though there are thousands alike around. I wanted one a few years ago but wasnt paying the uncalled for premium. Bought an Explorer instead. It Was $5k with 69k miles on it, ten years old.
Going price for tacomas/ 4 runners was $15k+ for 15 year+ and 200k plus miles.
Only a fool would buy that

OP
J
I fully can see they go WAY over book prices....but why? I have experience Rock Crawling. Tho I am not a Grease Monkey or Wrench Turner...I understand crawl ratios, lockers, etc. Just don't know WHY these trucks are pulling these prices. What am I missing?

Rodéo

WKR
This is the reason I bought a 20 year old Xterra instead. Got it for a literal steal, easy to work on and I'm no mechanic, well-built and generally bulletproof in terms of the engine. Until prices on 4runners and tacomas come back down to earth I don't see myself buying one even if all the cool kids seem to like them. There's just too much value to be had in other rigs. I guess that's the reason I like direct to consumer optics (looking at you Maven and Tract). Function and value > hype.

Vandy321

WKR
I fully can see they go WAY over book prices....but why? I have experience Rock Crawling. Tho I am not a Grease Monkey or Wrench Turner...I understand crawl ratios, lockers, etc. Just don't know WHY these trucks are pulling these prices. What am I missing?
Because I can sell my Tacoma for more now than when I bought it a year ago...supply and demand.

Same reason the trade in value on my wife's 2016 4runner has increased $4k in the last year...suppy and demand.

I wouldn't overpay for a Tacoma, I agree...but let's not get crazy saying the F150 is a better truck...thats a joke (I know you specifically didn't say that, but folks have)

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased my 2018 Tacoma in Dec 2017. $32,400 out the door. High blue book today is $37,500... I also sold my 1996 Tacoma with 255k on it for $7k back in early 2018. It blue booked for $2,500 for excellent shape and it was not in excellent shape.

All used vehicle prices are through the roof, at least where I am in the Pacific Northwest. The amount of money being pumped into the economy the last few months has tons of people buying new to them used vehicles.Used vehicle prices are up $2000-$3000 more just since the beginning of 2021 on a lot of used vehicles.

Also the new vehicle production is down, so new car dealerships are getting less new vehicles. The rental car companies can’t get new vehicles, so they aren’t selling the used ones with 20-30 k miles at auction
replace with new cars.That was a major source of 1-2 year old vehicles for the used part of new car dealerships to sell.

Toyota has always held value, but these factors are pushing prices even higher

I watched a guy buy a 2004 Toyota Tacoma at auction last week for $18700 with 146000 miles! Same guy paid $18300 for a 2005 Toyota Tundra with 109k miles!

Pretty sure we are seeing inflation on almost everything.

cars, houses, travel trailers, any building materials all have had huge price increases over the last few months

“Supply and demand” isn’t an answer, considering the OPs question is basically “why is demand so high?”

I have no idea. I’d like to get a 4Runner to daily/hunt/fish so I don’t have to drive a big loud Cummins everywhere, but it just isn’t gonna happen. I refuse to pay those prices. Looking at XJs and Outbacks instead.

People pay the price because they can put a lot of miles on them without major problems in most cases.

The Toyota’s just last way longer on average. When looking at used you won’t see many of the other brands with the high miles. They don’t last as long

Geewhiz

WKR
I have heard people say toyotas are not nessarily any beefier than other vehicles, but for what they are, they are over built and under powered, which is a recipe for longevity and reliability.

I suppose that makes sense.

Vandy321

WKR
Asking again....WHY? What makes them so special?
It's the best value jack of all trades/master of none truck you can find...and they last >300k with few problems. IMO, that's why.

And,as you've seen, it's resale value is part of the appeal as well. Try getting that forcac30 year old F150.

OP
J
Pandemic has not affected my employment. And I've never smelled a Stimulus Check. I got ZERO free Cheese like everyone else. I thought everyone was broke, and out of a job? These prices are insane....and these vehicles are gone in a day.

I moved the 4Runner to get a used Outback...lol. It's way better in the snow. But it aint a Duck Dog, Marsh Masher. Hence the search for a Tacoma