What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

Rokbar

WKR
What makes a two year old, used Tacoma worth more than a brand new one at full retail? 2019 TRD Pros listed at mid forties around here. Meanwhile there are 25 of them sitting on lots within 50 miles for 38k list price. What is that about?
People in Cults want them badly! All joking side. People know more than average you will get more of your money back on a Toyota than any other brand. Not saying Toyota's are better than other brands, but have better resale. Ok, I guess I am saying toyota's are better!

z987k

WKR
What makes a two year old, used Tacoma worth more than a brand new one at full retail? 2019 TRD Pros listed at mid forties around here. Meanwhile there are 25 of them sitting on lots within 50 miles for 38k list price. What is that about?
There's a sucker born every minute and since everyone seems to have money coming out of their ears, might as well part one of them from it.

Another vehicle entirely, but based on how I've seen this section double in price in 8 months, I'm tempted to put mine up for 3x what it should be worth and see if anyone is stupid enough to buy it.

Really? Who says so? Who says the Toyota’s aren’t like this one? With so many new parts it’s more new then old? Who says with facts any of what you claim? I can get on the internet and find facts about humans being created by a Big Bang. I don’t believe that either. But, it’s there if that’s what you look for.

I truly could care less. I’ve owned dodge, chevys, fords, nissans, and Toyota’s. All within the last 30 years. And drove fleet of all the above except Nissan. I buy the best deal. I’m not brand loyal or brain washed. And, my prior posts are my experience. Everyone is going to have a different opinions based on theirs. It’s the declaration of the Toyota cults opinion as being correct that people are pointing out as ..... incorrect. There is no right or wrong answer. Buy what you like. But, denying other people’s experience as wrong doesn’t apply. If that weren’t so, there’d be no one making autos except Toyota.

Personal experience does not a population data set make.

The data is compiled from registration records. So I guess the "who" is every county treasurer in the country. Argue with it if you'd like, you'll just be wrong. :)

A 1/2 ton chevy, a one ton chevy, a 3/4 ton ford.

Not one Toyota. Maybe they didn't get the message.

Still hard to beat a volvo.

No yota yet.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Back in 2013 I bought a used 2003 x-cab TRD Tacoma with only 25,000 miles on it from an older gentleman who only used it to drive his bags of trash back and forth to the dump center. It was in impeccable shape, garage kept. He didn't have it listed for sale, it just came up in a conversation and luckily I was able to jump on it. He told me he wanted $12,000 for it, that's what the internet said it was worth. I thought, that sounds like a helluva deal and later on I realized he probably was looking up the trade in value, not the sell value.

I drove it for 2 years and put another 50,000 miles on it before I realized I needed a crew cab. I ended up selling that truck in 2016 with nearly 80,000 miles on it, for $14,000 ($2,000 more than what I paid for it 50,000 miles ago) and the guy I sold it to thought he was getting a great deal on a Taco with less than 100,000 miles. That was my first Tacoma and only then did I realize the cult-like obsession with them.

.............So I used that equity on a down payment for a new crew cab. :)

I just did a nationwide search for New TRD Pro on Car Gurus. There’s 87 in the entire country listed, and they are 45k and up.

Are you sure you found 25 new TRD Pro trucks within 50 miles of your house for $38k?

The base TRD Sports and TRD Offroads are $37-$38k that I have found.

I just did a nationwide search for New TRD Pro on Car Gurus. There’s 87 in the entire country listed, and they are 45k and up.

Are you sure you found 25 new TRD Pro trucks within 50 miles of your house for $38k?

The base TRD Sports and TRD Offroads are $37-$38k that I have found.
My bad, I was looking at TRD Off Roads. I got confused on the trims.

MadeInTheRain

Lil-Rokslider
I ask myself that question every time I look at new pick ups. I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD extended cab that I purchased about 8 years ago for 8K with 150K miles. Today it has 250K miles and judging by the market I could make about 2-4K on the 20 year old pick up. They are reliable I will say that, but I still have had to rebuild the transmission and and replace the suspension. Along with other standard maintenance. Ill probably never sell this truck but I certainly wont buy another one for the price they go for now.

The data is compiled from registration records. So I guess the "who" is every county treasurer in the country. Argue with it if you'd like, you'll just be wrong. :)
All those registration records you somehow have access to indicate how often the engines and transmissions have been replaced or rebuilt in said vehicles? How often said vehicles have left their owners stranded? Or are you just pulling data out of thin air to satisfy the claims you’re making?

All those registration records you somehow have access to indicate how often the engines and transmissions have been replaced or rebuilt in said vehicles? How often said vehicles have left their owners stranded? Or are you just pulling data out of thin air to satisfy the claims you’re making?

All brands are subject to the same criteria. It’s not a biased data set.

I don’t know why this concept receives such a stimulus antibody response from some of you. Obviously one brand must make the longest lasting vehicles. If you have a different set of parameters and a data set by all means share.

I think your argument ought to be “sure Toyota’s last the longest, but you can have two Chevy’s for the same price, and two Chevy’s might last longer than one Toyota.” I couldn’t refute that. I’ll even agree the used prices are pretty nuts. But, have you seen new truck prices? It’s all crazy.

Do you care to provide said data. Or The maintenance records that come with it? I’ll wait while you compile it. Because you gotta have that to be right by your own admissions.

Weren’t you the guy asking for links in a Covid thread? To inept to google search. Seems you should be able to find what you claim since it’s obvious you are so information based. Or, you could keep on blabbing off what you assume to be the case while insisting others are wrong for doing so.

Do you care to provide said data. Or The maintenance records that come with it? I’ll wait while you compile it. Because you gotta have that to be right by your own admissions.

Weren’t you the guy asking for links in a Covid thread? To inept to google search. Seems you should be able to find what you claim since it’s obvious you are so information based. Or, you could keep on blabbing off what you assume to be the case while insisting others are wrong for doing so.

Toyota brags on a Tundra that went 1m miles.

I haven't found the tacoma that has done it. Seems Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and Toyota all have had full size trucks hit that mark.

Those are single vehicles, could just be outliers. However seems there should be lots of examples of Tacoma's doing it.

Billinsd

WKR
I ask myself that question every time I look at new pick ups. I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD extended cab that I purchased about 8 years ago for 8K with 150K miles. Today it has 250K miles and judging by the market I could make about 2-4K on the 20 year old pick up. They are reliable I will say that, but I still have had to rebuild the transmission and and replace the suspension. Along with other standard maintenance. Ill probably never sell this truck but I certainly wont buy another one for the price they go for now.
I agree, I don't plan to sell my 2002 with 140,000. Since this is not my daily driver and I drive it several thousand miles a year, I will rebuild the tranny and or engine if and when necessary. When I retire in a few years I'll probably buy a bigger truck to tow a trailer, and will keep my taco. Yes, I would not buy a 2002 Tacoma now for what they cost, even if they were cheaper. Mostly, because I'm too impatient and impulsive to shop for used cars. Also, I'm getting tired working on cars and am becoming wealthier as I approach retirement.

All brands are subject to the same criteria. It’s not a biased data set.

I don’t know why this concept receives such a stimulus antibody response from some of you. Obviously one brand must make the longest lasting vehicles. If you have a different set of parameters and a data set by all means share.

I think your argument ought to be “sure Toyota’s last the longest, but you can have two Chevy’s for the same price, and two Chevy’s might last longer than one Toyota.” I couldn’t refute that. I’ll even agree the used prices are pretty nuts. But, have you seen new truck prices? It’s all crazy.
Where is this mystical data though?

I’m not a brand snob in the least - I drove a Tacoma, then a Colorado, now an F150 so trust me when I say my request doesn’t come from an opposing place - I just want to access the dataset you claim to have. Probably would be beneficial for all of us to see that data to make better informed purchase decisions in the future.

Billinsd

WKR
Toyota brags on a Tundra that went 1m miles.

I haven't found the tacoma that has done it. Seems Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and Toyota all have had full size trucks hit that mark.

Those are single vehicles, could just be outliers. However seems there should be lots of examples of Tacoma's doing it.
Do these vehicles hit 1 million miles without a head gasket replacement, engine and or tranny rebuild? Seems to me, running a car or truck over 250k without a new head gasket is very impressive.

Do these vehicles hit 1 million miles without a head gasket replacement, engine and or tranny rebuild? Seems to me, running a car or truck over 250k without a new head gasket is very impressive.
I can’t imagine any of them do. Like I mentioned in another post, a quick glance on the classifieds for Tacoma’s or 4Runners will yield a LOT of them with new or rebuilt engines/transmissions or listed for a low price due to engine/transmission trouble. A lot more than the fanboys would have you believe, and while it’s less frequent than the trucks they bash on, it’s not so infrequent that it’s a non-issue.

They’re mechanical - no matter how well engineered they are they’re susceptible to the same things other engines are.

Perfect example - I’ve got a Honda Civic sitting in my driveway with 180k on it. Front main seal went on me on the way home one night, luckily I was only a couple miles from home and made it before the engine emptied itself. It absolutely would’ve left me stranded if it had happened right after I left for work as I work about 40 miles away. Reading online - Honda’s are BULLETPROOF the same way Toyota’s are... that doesn’t mean they won’t leave your ass stranded, or that they don’t break just like every other engine eventually does. Did it leave me stranded? No, but only due to sheer luck. Same way a guy loses a ball joint in his driveway “well it never left me on the side of the road!” I guess it technically didn’t, but only due to sheer luck on your part.

Blackcow

WKR
Toyota carefully curated this image starting over 40 years ago. While the big 3 had commercials showing their truck towing the heaviest stuff they could lug, Toyota had commercials of people writing the mileage on a picture and clicking their heels. I don’t know if it’s deserved or not, who knows and who cares, but whatever the reason you can’t beat the ROI. I already have 2 trucks, but I just bought a Tacoma a couple days ago. Granted, I’ve been looking for THIS truck for 6 years, and it’s maybe the deal of the century( for me), but it’s looking like it might fund my retirement if things keep going the way they are with these things.

Yes, some do. Duramax with only injectors. Honda civic went 750k before it needed a fuel pump.

When you make a few million, there's one that can end up going the distance when the stars align.

Hold on: the guy that has denigrated me for asking for a link has asked for a link?

Can’t make this up folks.

First link: https://www.businessinsider.com/8-longest-lasting-pickup-trucks-200000-miles-2020-4?amp

Full disclosure: they pick the Honda Ridgeline as #1, but I think we can all agree that’s not even a truck.

Reactions: WRO