What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

Squincher

WKR
I challenge you too point out I’ve said they were “cult like”

One quote will do.

You can twist this anyway you want. I simply don’t care what you drive. But, the OP asked for everyone’s opinion. And, that’s what I gave him. I have a guy working on the same site as I am, talking about how great Tacoma’s are. How his is so good. You know where it’s at? In the third garage it’s been to in six weeks. Getting the transmission over hauled and a new rear ended installed. 167,000 odd mikes on it. I know this because he’s been borrowing that f150 with 300,000 plus thousands mikes on it in I referred to in the part two thread.

It's right there in the post I quoted.

A lot of people get real carried away and most don't want to admit their car isn't the best.
That’s the thing that’s wild to me. It’s a product - not a body part. I have zero problems discussing any issues I’ve had with anything I’ve purchased, trucks included... and I’m not gonna cherry pick stuff to make anything I own/have owned look better than it really is. I don’t get that mentality. I’d much rather share the truth and help someone make an informed decision!

Billinsd

WKR
That’s the thing that’s wild to me. It’s a product - not a body part. I have zero problems discussing any issues I’ve had with anything I’ve purchased, trucks included... and I’m not gonna cherry pick stuff to make anything I own/have owned look better than it really is. I don’t get that mentality. I’d much rather share the truth and help someone make an informed decision!
I agree and it makes it real tough to make a good decision. It's like that for everything pretty much.

I had a condom break one time.

Magnums ain't what they are cracked up to be I guess.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
There was actually a recall on some tacoma's for the frames rusting. My dad has an 2004 that the dealership replaced the frame. Not knocking other manufacturer's, but just going off my own experience. With enough salt any vehicle will rust! The lust for toyota's is a simple example of supply and demand.
That was the Tundra, not the Tacoma. Also included the Sequoia.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Toyota brags on a Tundra that went 1m miles.

I haven't found the tacoma that has done it. Seems Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and Toyota all have had full size trucks hit that mark.
I would imagine that vehicles would hold up better going a million miles in under 10 years, than going a million miles in 30+ years. Parts and components break down because of time........especially depending on the climate. Last year I thought my Toyota had a throttle body issue as the idle suddenly wouldn't drop when it was warm. Then it started creeping higher and higher until it was over 2k rpm's. So I pulled the TB and cleaned it and took out the idle screw. The rubber o-ring was smooth with the metal surface and hard as a rock that broke into several pieces when I removed it. In the end, it ended up being the throttle cable where it attaches to the pedal and hanging up. I was sitting at a stop light revving 2500 rpm's at idle and reached down, grabbed the pedal, and pulled it towards me. It popped, gave way, and RPM's dropped to 800. (face palm) Rigged the cable and pedal, and now my Toyota planets are aligned and all is well again.

Last edited:
I would imagine that vehicles would hold up better going a million miles in under 10 years, than going a million miles in 30+ years. Parts and components break down because of time........especially depending on the climate. Last year I thought my Toyota had a throttle body issue as the idle suddenly wouldn't drop when it was warm. Then it started creeping higher and higher until it was over 2k rpm's. So I pulled the TB and cleaned it and took out the idle screw. The rubber gasket was smooth with the metal surface and hard as a rock that broke into several pieces when I removed it. In the end, it ended up being the throttle cable where it attaches to the pedal and hanging up. I was sitting at a stop light revving 2500 rpm's at idle and reached down, grabbed the pedal, and pulled it towards me. It popped, gave way, and RPM's dropped to 800. (face palm) Rigged the cable and pedal, and now my Toyota planets are aligned again and all is well again.

Yeah, constant freeway driving is going to be easier than stop and go.

I think it's largely that if you take something built heavier (like a half-ton) and use it with no added stress, it's going to take longer to wear out.

Kinda the same idea of the first gen toyota trucks. They were reasonably overbuilt and underpowered. That's a recipe for longevity.

My point is it's just interesting that a taco a isn't on the list for the million miles. I'd think they out number tundras by a fair margin, but maybe not.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My point is it's just interesting that a taco a isn't on the list for the million miles. I'd think they out number tundras by a fair margin, but maybe not.
That's possible. I remember back in the 80's and early 90's commercials and magazine ads showing Toyota pickups (before the Tacoma) going over a million frequently. But the more electronics, plastic, and other cheap materials that are used.......and they're made more for replacing than lasting........just like appliances and everything else these days. I would love to have a 1950's Power Wagon.

That's possible. I remember back in the 80's and early 90's commercials and magazine ads showing Toyota pickups (before the Tacoma) going over a million frequently. But the more electronics, plastic, and other cheap materials that are used.......and they're made more for replacing than lasting........just like appliances and everything else these days. I would love to have a 1950's Power Wagon.

I haven't found any of the ads or claims you are talking about. I would assume they would be out there, but I haven't turned them up.

That was period where 100-150k was kinda an expected lifespan of a vehicle tho, it might be they were actually advertising 1/2 million miles.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No they were out there. That's why Toyota became so popular, their longevity. Haven't seen any since back then, but I generally don't watch commercials anymore.