What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

grfox92

WKR
Now park an 89 Ford Bronco 2 with identical miles next to that for $1,399. Yes 90% cheaper. Gotta drive it to work daily, hunting seasonally and fishing on the weekends. Who takes the Ford? Anybody?
I would drive the Ford all day before I spent a year's worth of mortgage payments on a 25 year old truck that might last 25% longer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

excaliber

WKR
I have a 1991 Toyota pickup. It's what they call an Extra cab Deluxe with the 3.0 V6. I have 230,000 miles on it and it's in really good shape. I've only had to replace a starter, one window regulator and a front locking hub in all they years I've owned it.

This truck was Japan built and Toyota really built this truck well. It had the V6 campaign recall where they rebuilt the engine at 89,000 miles for free.
It's leaking a bit from the valve covers and transfer case but other than that looks good and runs well. When these trucks were built the California speed limit was 55 and just heading to 65.

This truck doesn't like to run faster than 72 as the RPMs are in the 2800 range at that speed. They were not geared for 80 mph like we have today.

These Pickups excel at slow crawling up and down hills. I've had this truck in some nice hunting country in Ca., NV, OR and ID. It's narrow width help it fit between the sagebrush on the narrower trails. My friends are scared to drive their trucks where this truck goes due to getting too many scratches.
It's been a great truck.
KBB says it's worth around 1800.00 but I've had offers double that when the prices were stable a few years ago. I have no idea what someone would pay for it now?

Last edited:
I didn't read though everything, I stated before, Toyota made their name back in the day as did Honda with their ATVs. One thing you can't argue, is that the big three may be nice trucks, last forever these days, but the level of little things that break on them will drive a person crazy i.e window regulators, wiring shorts, quirky 4 wheel drive engagement issues etc.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I went from a Tacoma to an F150 and as of yesterday, back to a Tacoma. The Ford was awesome for power and room...but my kids won’t hunt much and it’s usually just me solo. The Tacoma with a 6’ bed suits my needs and is easier to drive around daily. Easier to load MX bikes or a quad on my own as well.

I actually had the dealer stack a couple rebates on top of each other and paid a fair price. Took a couple months for it to show up though. Glad it did. Was a PITA not having a vehicle. Went in, paid cash and was home in an hour yesterday.
Saw they had 3 other Tacoma’s on the floor. Every one was sold before it even arrived. Crazy stuff.

EE75A60C-B896-4AEF-81FC-DD0D82AA3CC5.jpeg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a 1991 Toyota pickup. It's what they call an Extra cab Deluxe with the 3.0 V6.

This truck was Japan built and Toyota really built this truck well. It had the V6 campaign recall where they rebuilt the engine at 89,000 miles for free.

This truck doesn't like to run faster than 72 as the RPMs are in the 2800 range at that speed. They were not geared for 80 mph like we have today.

KBB says it's worth around 1800.00 but I've had offers double that when the prices were stable a few years ago. I have no idea what someone would pay for it now?
Mine is an SR5 xtracab '89 with the 3.0L. Mine never got rebuilt under recall, but had the head gasket replaced in 1999 when I had a valve job done. Nothing major done since except a clutch replacement, new starter, and ball joints at 235k. Still has original rear brakes. Mine runs great at 80mph, but it is running 3300rpm's.........I'm always trying to shift into some imaginary 6th gear that I wish it had. KBB showed right around $4000 for my truck a couple weeks ago, but it also showed a bunch of listings for these 1989-1994 style pickups starting at $13k and up for 4wd models. I only paid $15k brand new some 32+ years ago. But according to KBB my F-350 is still worth $4000 more than I paid for it 13 years ago. So I guess trucks are really holding their value these days.

Pflum

FNG
Just saw a 2000 Tundra SR5 for sale today.
160k miles, some body rust. Didn't look any closer. Guy wants $3500. Would be cheap for a Tacoma. Guess Tundras don't have the same following?

brushape

WKR
I went to a big Toyota dealer yesterday to stock up on oil filters for my Tacoma but they salesman tried to buy my 2006 off of me and said they had zero Tacoma’s on the lot several of the plants are closed and there is very little supply right now. If there is no new trucks to buy the used ones are going to skyrocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I went to a big Toyota dealer yesterday to stock up on oil filters for my Tacoma but they salesman tried to buy my 2006 off of me and said they had zero Tacoma’s on the lot several of the plants are closed and there is very little supply right now. If there is no new trucks to buy the used ones are going to skyrocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. Toyota was the only one to stockpile some chips, but the Texas truck plants are down due to Covid.

Its making it easier to hold out and see the 2022 redesign of the tundra and tacoma though...

ewade07

WKR
Pretty much sums up Bozeman.

Attachments

• 12F76C4E-BBFC-4D0E-8ADC-6151CA7E39ED.png
    12F76C4E-BBFC-4D0E-8ADC-6151CA7E39ED.png
    919.9 KB · Views: 90
I feel like I won the lottery. Last Friday I bought a 2006 F250 super duty, with a long bed, zero rust, one dent, a bulletproofed 6.0 power stroke, and a total of 133,000 miles. It’s still booked for $19,000 in the shape it’s in. I paid half. I’m a happy guy.

Attachments

• 028C0C69-8EAE-466A-8ED1-53688EA2464B.jpeg
    028C0C69-8EAE-466A-8ED1-53688EA2464B.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 41

Billinsd

WKR
I bought two new ball joints for about $200. It took me a couple hours to get the truck in the air, replace them, and get the truck down. Very easy. FYI it's easier to reconnect the 4 bolts first, before putting the castle nuts on the two ends. I used red lock tite on the 4 bolts. I got a new castle nut and cotter pin for one end, but not the other. Reused the smaller castle nut and bought a new cotter pin. The old ball joints "seemed" perfectly fine at 144,000 miles. I got peace of mind. This is another point on the graph.

Vandy321

WKR
I dont think the market is quiet as inflated as it used to be. Wish I'd have sold about 2 months ago, but I planned on keeping this for the life of it. Wife now says she wants an F250 for more room for the growing family (and a 2nd dog this month).

Not gonna post this in the classifieds, but if anyone is looking for a built tacoma...shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
I dont think the market is quiet as inflated as it used to be. Wish I'd have sold about 2 months ago, but I planned on keeping this for the life of it. Wife now says she wants an F250 for more room for the growing family (and a 2nd dog this month).

Not gonna post this in the classifieds, but if anyone is looking for a built tacoma...shoot me a PM.

Feel free to throw spears, but that's about 3k over book on a stock truck for a >$20k build.

I got 1k rounds of 22 lr and 200 rounds of 9. I won't ship but if you want to drive to the east coast with it I'll consider the trade after I get to look it over in person.

If it's as perfect as you list, I'll throw in a 4×4 pice of 1/2" osb.

Vandy321

WKR
I got 1k rounds of 22 lr and 200 rounds of 9. I won't ship but if you want to drive to the east coast with it I'll consider the trade after I get to look it over in person.

If it's as perfect as you list, I'll throw in a 4×4 pice of 1/2" osb.
.22 and 9mm...You have any manly calibers stockpiled?