What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

When they were actually little pickups it made sense to me how much people liked them, based on the fact that other little pickups werent nearly as good.......well other than the nissans.......

Always wondered why the t100 never really got popular? they sell dirt cheap around here.

THese are not the only vehicle that get a cult following......like the first generation cummins trucks, and now the 95-97 crew cab powerstroke trucks.....both of which make less sense to me than the tacoma "cult". 2-3 years ago a 200k mile 95-97 powerstroke crew cab was in the 5-6k range. People are selling them for double or triple that (some even more) right now.

It is less about vehicles and more about people.

chasewild

WKR
Had a 2001 4 door short bed. Sold it at 112k and I regretted it immensely. Bought a 2015 Tacoma, small lift, 4 wheel camper on the back and I'll be buried with that truck and my Elite 35.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
When they were actually little pickups it made sense to me how much people liked them, based on the fact that other little pickups werent nearly as good.......well other than the nissans.......

Always wondered why the t100 never really got popular? they sell dirt cheap around here.

THese are not the only vehicle that get a cult following......like the first generation cummins trucks, and now the 95-97 crew cab powerstroke trucks.....both of which make less sense to me than the tacoma "cult". 2-3 years ago a 200k mile 95-97 powerstroke crew cab was in the 5-6k range. People are selling them for double or triple that (some even more) right now.

The small truck thing might be part of it too. I don’t know measurements, but the new Tacoma’s/colorados/rangers sure feel a lot bigger than the older ones. There’s probably plenty of people out there like me that want a smaller truck than almost anything built in the past 15 or so years

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm going to drive it for 80,000 and move on to the next one. I literally don't care if it makes it to 300,000 miles. It drives handles pulls and feels 10,000 times better than my 16 tacoma. That's what I care about. Oh and it gets better mileage while having 100 more horsepower.
Vehicles are nothing more than a "tool" like any other tool you might use or need. There are many uses where a small Toyota excels for the job, and there are many uses where a larger more powerful truck will excel. I don't use my Toyota for pulling, and I certainly don't use it for power.......that's what the F-350 is for. I don't pull my F-350 with the Toyota, I pull my Toyota with the F-350.......just like I don't use the F-350 to go up that narrow, twisting, rocky 4x4 trail. When I load up the family, I certainly don't take the Toyota.......just a tool.

If you can only have one tool.......then you have to pick the tool that can accomplish as much as you need it to. But there will be shortcomings on either end of that spectrum.

I just find it amazing that you can drive a brand new American truck off the lot.......and it comes with rattles and squeaks already installed. But a 32 year old Toyota is still tight as a drum without those rattles and squeaks that will multiply and increase the more it's driven......especially off-road.

But I also find it amazing that I've had my current 2001 F-350 for 13 years now and blue book is still higher than what I paid for it 13 years ago, even with an extra 125k+ miles on it. That says a lot all the way around the market for all used trucks. And the way new trucks are priced these days, used can be a lot more attractive.

Last edited:

cjdewese

WKR
I owned a 92 regular cab 22re motor. Two motors blown in 6 months just at highway speeds no abuse. First and last Toyota. I’m not paying what they want for one. Just ridiculously over priced.
This is the 1st time I have ever heard anyone with ANY issues on a 22re motor. My dad got rid of his with 395K on it and it still drove for many more years after that. ONLY oil changes and brakes not 1 other thing wrong with it.

I'd have a hell of a time justifying buying a used taco vs just buying new with the way resale is.

There is a hell of a premium to be paid for resale, reliability, and offroad capability. They seem to be lagging the crowd in every other metric but those 3 items sure mean a lot.

Lowg08

WKR
This is the 1st time I have ever heard anyone with ANY issues on a 22re motor. My dad got rid of his with 395K on it and it still drove for many more years after that. ONLY oil changes and brakes not 1 other thing wrong with it.
I must have gotten a lemon. It ruined me on them. I’ve never owned a Toyota since then.

Rob5589

WKR
Over on Tacoma world the guys in rust belt go on and on about fluid film and wolly something.
I guess you paint it in the frame every fall and squirt it inside or something. To keep rust out.
Maybe check it out if ur interested.
Fluid Film is very popular in the Jeep segment also; Jeep frames are fairly thin and rust out. Especially in states where they salt the roads.

OP
J
I currently have a 2002 F-350 Powerstroke. It's been a Money Pit. Only 144K on it. Just dries my vag out driving it everywhere. Foot has to stay up the ass....no balls. A pain to park. Just kinda Over It.

But these prices had me reconsidering on the drive in to work....to maybe just keep it and F the Tacoma price tags.

At almost 50yo....I just can't wrap my head around the new truck price tags. I am not a Dave Ramsey nerd, but my credit card has maybe $500 on it. Mortgage is very reasonable. Child Support ends next summer.

But I've never been a Truck Pimp. Never had a blinged out Newest and Bestest truck. I've build and priced diesel Colorados, F-150 EcoBoosts....even the plainest Janes are $45,000 to start. New Taco is the same. And I am not really certain a new Taco or Colorado is large enough for me and Sweets and a few dogs in the back.

You can't Sniff a new full sized rig with a gas engine for sub $50,000

So this thread....has done little to aid my direction. The truck I missed....the '98 with 106K was prolly the best bet going. The other that just popped up is a year older (97) with 185k on the Odo. Think I need a kick in the crotch for even considering it.

S.Clancy

WKR

Wait, what? You're telling me my 97 power stroke is worth how much?!?!

And where do you live that T100 are dirt cheap?

OP
J
BR-

As I stated in my opening comment.....this is a Cat Rig. Lots of them over here. Without the Lockers and 4.88s would this same rig impress you?

This rotten spring snow sticks a ton of trucks. Trying to 27 point on a snow covered logging road usually bites you in the ass. Yea....a $100 set of chains for 31" tire would be a game changer, but it would help any other rig you added them to.

Rob5589

WKR
I currently have a 2002 F-350 Powerstroke. It's been a Money Pit. Only 144K on it. Just dries my vag out driving it everywhere. Foot has to stay up the ass....no balls. A pain to park. Just kinda Over It.

But these prices had me reconsidering on the drive in to work....to maybe just keep it and F the Tacoma price tags.

At almost 50yo....I just can't wrap my head around the new truck price tags. I am not a Dave Ramsey nerd, but my credit card has maybe $500 on it. Mortgage is very reasonable. Child Support ends next summer.

But I've never been a Truck Pimp. Never had a blinged out Newest and Bestest truck. I've build and priced diesel Colorados, F-150 EcoBoosts....even the plainest Janes are $45,000 to start. New Taco is the same. And I am not really certain a new Taco or Colorado is large enough for me and Sweets and a few dogs in the back.

You can't Sniff a new full sized rig with a gas engine for sub $50,000

So this thread....has done little to aid my direction. The truck I missed....the '98 with 106K was prolly the best bet going. The other that just popped up is a year older (97) with 185k on the Odo. Think I need a kick in the crotch for even considering it.
They're out there, need to look for specials. My 19 Ram was 50k, marked down to 36k with all kinds of discounts. It was as-is, meaning there was no way to add any options other than dealer installed. No biggie for me as it had way more than I was looking for or expected to get. At the time used pickups with ~ 75k miles and 4-5 years old were going for 20k +. As much as I drive it didn't make sense to buy a vehicle that would spin over 100k in less than 2 years.

BR-

As I stated in my opening comment.....this is a Cat Rig. Lots of them over here. Without the Lockers and 4.88s would this same rig impress you?

This rotten spring snow sticks a ton of trucks. Trying to 27 point on a snow covered logging road usually bites you in the ass. Yea....a $100 set of chains for 31" tire would be a game changer, but it would help any other rig you added them to.
Thats how this truck was hounded. 31s and chains and did everything you did need tracks for.
Its got 35s now so 4.88s are kinda required.
I think a taco is better because the coil front vs the torsion bars.
I hounded an 04 taco extra cab with 32s for awhile and it did well.
My older brother bought a 88 ranger new and put 33s on it. The drivetrian just can't hold up like the Toyota.
He had to have a 9" narrowed. And the front end would still blow. Talking ring and pinion thru the housing.
Toyota has the toughest drive train period.

I don't use this Toyota much. Id sell it for 15k.
Pretty much everything is new. Power windows, a/c
3.4 swap w rebuilt motor, 4.88s arms, 40 gal aux tank. Protech box. Nicest interior you'll find on a truck this old. Im in the build about 20k

There no real answer to spring snow.
Tracks is about it.
I love the flatbed because I can back it into anywhere to turn around with nothing much more then a spray paint touch up.
Winch the front end around if I have to.

I went to an 05 tundra and love it.
Its mostly stock and is much more comfortable to tooling around.
But not near the offroader.

I've fully built a 7.3 as well if you want some help living up that truck.
20210416_115543.jpg
20190708_180053.jpg20210218_170815.jpg

CorbLand

WKR
I bought an 01 Tundra in 2013-2014 for 7500 with 150,000 on it. I have been contemplating selling it for a 4Runner and went to see what each was worth and about fell out of my seat. I have been tempted to sell my Tundra because I could at least get 8500 out of it 7 years and 50,000 miles later.

Just cant find anything to replace it with.