What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

Billinsd

WKR
The Tacoma demand is quite a phenomenon and I have never been able to figure it out. EVERYBODY loves them and you can't find one for a fair price anywhere. Why not just buy a side by side instead?
Because we don't want to break down, getting to where we are going. I can and have driven in some places meant for quads and side by sides. The smaller size of first gen Tacomas is popular. I usually go alone or one other person, so the tacoma is the right size and I can get to where I want most of the time.

Billinsd

WKR
I'd have a hell of a time justifying buying a used taco vs just buying new with the way resale is.

There is a hell of a premium to be paid for resale, reliability, and offroad capability. They seem to be lagging the crowd in every other metric but those 3 items sure mean a lot.
I wouldn't buy a used 1st gen Tacoma from a stranger myself. That's very old and unless the previous owners maintained it well, it could be ready to fall apart. I've gotten burned buying used cars from strangers period. I just don't ever plan to sell my old Tacoma, mostly because new trucks are so expensive and it's not my daily driver. I do plan to buy a BIG truck in the future to pull a trailer, but I'll keep my Tacoma.

HUNTNUT

FNG
Got a 2005 Tacoma with 275,000 miles on it. Have had almost no problems with it. Funny thing, 10 yrs ago was driving from central TX to Wyoming and my wife asked if I thought it was a good idea to drive my truck that far. Silly girl, I would do it today with no worries. And no, it is not for sale.

Hunthigh1

WKR
Toyota did not over engineer those old trucks. For me I like them because of the simplicity And the LACK of features. Simplicity creates fewer opportunities for problems. Simplicity also means that when something does fail to function, I can usually redneck fix it and get myself back on the road immediately. When parts do wear out or break they tend to give you fair warning before total failure.

Simplicity is wonderful when you try to be your own mechanic and when you do most of your recreation solo. My 87 has 290,000 hard miles on it, burns oil and has very little power but I still trust it more than a newer rig.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Had a Tundra. maybe a 2011. Here in upstate NY, salt is an issue for cars. The demise of the Tundra was a blown head gasket. currently have a 2001 Tacoma. 2wd, standard. at 170,000 needed to replace the engine. cylinder 3 went. bought a used motor for 500, and paid 400 to have it dropped in.

Do I like Toyota's? Yes I do, but I haven't had good luck with them.

At work have driven 3 GMC Canyons, 2 GMC 3500 dual wheel landscape type dump trucks and a GMC Sierra. of the 6, EVERY ONE had the transmission go and need to be replaced within 4 years or within 100,000 miles. (landscape dump trucks don't leave the property often and are used as a plow truck)

I think I want to buy a RAM

colersu22

WKR
I have had a few(1987,1980 and 1992) Toyota’s, the 87 was sas’d on 1 tons with a 350/turbo350/203/205. I realized it was not drivable on the road and with no tow rig I parted it out and got the 80 which was good until I 4 linked the rear. The 92 was a 4Runner with a 4” and 33’s.

I have been looking for another Toyota for a woods truck but like other noted the prices are insane in Wa right now. I did just see a 2000 tacoma that was in an accident that would make a good wheeler/woods rig for 2,000 if anyone in the Portland area is looking. I don’t have time to make the trip down to check it out and tow it back.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My 1997 Tacoma has 296K on the odometer. I would still be willing to drive it across the country without hesitation. Manual transmission, windows, transfer case, and hubs. I like the simplicity. A guy got pushy about buying it and my price in 2014, I told him 15K. At the time that got him to leave me alone. Today I would say 25k.

I drove it from Prince Rupert to Anchorage with 280K on it without issue. There is no drive in the lower 48 that combines that distance and remoteness.

While not recommend, you can rebuild the engine without removing it from the vehicle.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy following here in Hawaii also, i've pretty much always had project Toyotas except for a 69 Camaro. Tacomas were so expensive I bought a 02 Tundra about 10 years ago for $8K, Just sold it for $6K with 225k mi. on it, and just saw one the same year with 150k mi going for $14k on Craigslist. had a lot of off road mi on mine, rebuilt the front end but thats about it, kinda miss it. Have a 97 LX 450 basically a land cruiser with 250k mi on it, think i'm keeping that one for a while as they are getting harder to find and more popular with guys like Rogan talking about them all the time. We also have a 2017 Tacoma, can't see these holding up as well with all the plastic and electronics but time will tell.

Broomd

WKR
They only made T100s for a few years. I think it was just a stepping stone to the Tundra. Prior to the T100, everything was a "pick-up." Then the "pick-up" turned into the Tacoma series and the T100 morphed in to the Tundra series. Most of the earlier T100s I see have the somewhat problematic 3VZ-E V6 from the earlier pick-ups (problematic by Toyota standards). Pretty soon thereafter the Tacomas got the improved 5VZ-FE and the Tundras came out with the iForce V8s.

I clean T100 with the 5VZ-FE is probably a nice truck.
Mine sure was until it was stolen in S-hole Seattle area in '19....sorted as nicely as any Toyota T100 in the country.

XeXK%gEySlWAezhvQkOLhg_thumb_184d.jpg

Antares

WKR
This was my daily for 10 years. This is towards the end when she was looking a little ratty. She was pretty tidy in her day.E7F92F8E-3631-442A-87FD-A1E50F7D1092.jpegDE285FC0-B600-4ED4-97B8-0D72CDF134E3.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve owned Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, Honda, and Toyota. My driveway is full of Toyota’s and a 2006 5.9 diesel Ram for towing.
I could go buy a new rig tomorrow if I wanted. It’s no accident my rigs are all Toyota 4-runners, and Tacoma’s and then a Dodge of near the last year of the 5.9 common rail.

The newer Toyota’s don’t seem as good to me, though still better than all the other brands. They are just built better, engineered for longevity compared to other brands.

Jeeps, Fords, ect.. are literally designed to fail at 150k. Tons of plastic, even in critical parts, thin stamped steel and aluminum running gear, engines that never seem to stand the test of time, ect... Sure they have cushy interiors and lots of technology, but that’s it.

1st gen Tacoma’s and 3rd gen 4-runners are to me near the top of automotive manufacturing. Plenty of power, easy to work on and maintain, cushy enough for daily driving, yet ruggedly reliable for the back roads.

Yes, folks ask $8k+ for them, and that seems steep. But tell me, what other rig could you buy for even double that money that’s worth a shit?

I currently drive a damn near unicorn. 1998 4-runner 220k(much newer JDM motor), 5spd, factory locker, no sun roof, 99 intake(MAF), and center console.
Tundra brakes and suspension up front, OME in the rear with modified panhard bar mounts, JBA upper arms. All rubber bushings replaced.

I have maybe 9k into my rig and I consider it money well spent.

ewade07

WKR
Anyone out there got one of the older Rav4s? You wanna talk about hard to find! I would love to get my hands on one of those little buggers.

Because we don't want to break down, getting to where we are going. I can and have driven in some places meant for quads and side by sides. The smaller size of first gen Tacomas is popular. I usually go alone or one other person, so the tacoma is the right size and I can get to where I want most of the time.
My Duramax gets me where I’m going without fail?

I had a Polaris ATV that I bought brand new in 2001 and had it for 19 years and hunted all over the west on it. Rode it like I stole it, beat the hell out of it, and was still running strong when I decided I wanted a new one. I can’t see spending $45,000 on a Tacoma to take it where I could easily take an ATV but I do like Tacomas. I just wouldn’t beat my truck up like that