What makes a 23yo Tacoma worth $11,000?

OP
J
Not a Cat guy. Just looking for a reliable rig I can run and gun out of. Go 100 miles and scout. Overnight out the back. End of the road type rig. Have it start when I am ready. Or at least push in the clutch and bump start it if needed.

Poser

WKR
I bought an 01 Tundra in 2013-2014 for 7500 with 150,000 on it. I have been contemplating selling it for a 4Runner and went to see what each was worth and about fell out of my seat. I have been tempted to sell my Tundra because I could at least get 8500 out of it 7 years and 50,000 miles later.

Just cant find anything to replace it with.

If you decide to sell it, I may be interested. That’s about the price range I’m looking for.

Not sure it is helpful, but I read an article today that said whole prices (dealer auctions) for used cars are up 25% year on year. Seems part of the drive is a slow down in new car inventories due to parts shortages that is turning buyers to used cars.

Not a Cat guy. Just looking for a reliable rig I can run and gun out of. Go 100 miles and scout. Overnight out the back. End of the road type rig. Have it start when I am ready. Or at least push in the clutch and bump start it if needed.
1st Gen Tundra man.
You pay some premium for them over other brands. But super reliable, easy to work on. U love mine. Canopy and drawers, sleep platform.
More room, more power.
Still not a wide body full size. And I could absolutely care less about the paint so the fact its Slightly wider then a taco doesn't bother me.
Paid 11.5 for mine. W 117k . About 15k total with Canopy, timing belt kit, all new front brakes, ball joints, 2 sets20201007_174119.jpg tires. And I've put 25k on it flawless.

S.Clancy

WKR
I use my Honda Fit for all but the end of the road. It's the perfect undercover hunting rig.

CorbLand

WKR
If size isnt of major concern, a kid I do most of my hunting with has an S10. That thing goes and he picked it up for 2500.

It's a cult, but they are dependable vehicles BUTTTTTT I bought a brand new 2006 Tacoma, drove it until 200k. It had a few issues over the years, mostly wheel bearings which is a common issue. When I sold it, the paint on the roof was toast, it needed two more wheel bearings, the AC was toast. I sold it for 13k walked away and bought another new one.

I'm at 50K with my new one, all good so far except I need new shocks all the way around. I toasted them last year hunting in areas that were made for a 4 wheeler.

In the end, Toyotas and Honda ATVs are cut from the same cloth. The reliability of the old ones still sells the 2nd and 3rd generations that we see today.

You have around $10k to buy a pickup...what else are you going to get that you expect will run another few years? There's your demand side of the equation...

And the market is nuts right now. I paid $30k for my 2019 Tacoma last April, KBB says current trade in value is $35k and private party $39k.
Probably another 90s Chevy just like my 97 (220k going strong) and I’ll keep the other $5k. Absurd to think the demand is due to a lack of alternatives.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I paid $7,200 for my '01 T4R in 2018. It was a high for then by maybe a grand. 156k miles and in VG shape with nary a spec of rust. I have added a like amount in upgrades like Gobi rack, lights all around rack, sliders and a few other items I know I can't remember. It's now at 175k.

I suspect I could get close to what I have invested given the high demand for low mileage, rust free T4R's, but I love this truck and will drive was long as I can get into and out of it.

It has served me well on two elk hunts (especially in 2019 when there was 12"+ of snow and multiple trips into Hell's Canyon last year; HC will be my next elk hunt later this year) and has been trouble free during my ownership. I am meticulous about maintenance.

Eddie

Attachments

• T4R3G.jpg
    T4R3G.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
There no real answer to spring snow.
Tracks is about it.
I love the flatbed because I can back it into anywhere to turn around with nothing much more then a spray paint touch up.
Winch the front end around if I have to.

I went to an 05 tundra and love it.
Its mostly stock and is much more comfortable to tooling around.
But not near the offroader.

I've fully built a 7.3 as well if you want some help living up that truck.
View attachment 285296
View attachment 285297View attachment 285298

The answer to spring snow is low air pressure (like all snow) and a mt tire (toyo mt and geolander mt both work good).

Lightweight helps, but low psi on any vehicle makes more difference than any other thing you could do. Including chains.

Antares

WKR
Always wondered why the t100 never really got popular? they sell dirt cheap around here.

They only made T100s for a few years. I think it was just a stepping stone to the Tundra. Prior to the T100, everything was a "pick-up." Then the "pick-up" turned into the Tacoma series and the T100 morphed in to the Tundra series. Most of the earlier T100s I see have the somewhat problematic 3VZ-E V6 from the earlier pick-ups (problematic by Toyota standards). Pretty soon thereafter the Tacomas got the improved 5VZ-FE and the Tundras came out with the iForce V8s.

A clean T100 with the 5VZ-FE is probably a nice truck.

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I bought my first new Toyota in January, a 2021 4Runner. Prior to this, I had about half a million miles on a Nissan Titan and Nissan Xterra. I loved my Nissans but the resale value SUCKS on them, and the interior and other components just don’t hold up. My Titan had 280k miles on it when I sold it and never did anything but routine maintenance. I would have trusted to drive it cross country the day I got rid of it. However, it looked like hell, the interior looked like hell and I could t get anything for it.
For me, buying a new Nissan just didn’t seem smart, and the prices on used Xterras is climbing fast also. I found it actually made more sense to buy a new 4Runner and feel pretty confident that I will be able to drive it for the next decade or more with very little work other than standard maintenance. Not that any new car purchase is likely a smart investment, buying a Toyota seems to be the least not smart option to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewade07

WKR
They've been like that in MT for years, maybe over a decade, so it's nothing new. I have no idea why the demand is so high for them. They can't tow shit, my Honda Fit accelerates faster, and the fuel economy sucks. The engines last a long time, but I still don't get it. But, a ton of people LOVE them, my brother included. He's had 3 or 4.
I have had 3: a 92 pickup, a 99 Tacoma and now a 2002 Tundra. After reading this thread I may have to get rid of the Tundra. With only 190k on it i bet i can still get $10,000+ out of her. Any takers out there?

MP43

FNG
View attachment 285332

Before anyone points it out...yes, some of these are Landcruisers, not Hiluxs. It's still funny though.
Damn, that is funny and oh so true. The crap they put in the crankcases in place of actual motor oil (i.e. last week's cooking oil) is a real testament to the quality of the motor and bearings.

Used prices on anything worth having are ridiculous right now. I did end up buying a 21 F150 XLT for well below 50k last month. I was shopping used vehicles in hopes to save some cash but most of the ones I wanted(Toyota Tundra included) that were 2-5 years old were still within 2-3k of a brand new one. Rams are even cheaper, I had them down to 37k on a bighorn but I couldn’t stomach paying that with some of the long term reviews/horror stories about FCA so I took a hard pass. Besides, they were way too damn quick to come down on that price.

I’m not buying used to save 2-3k. It’s not worth it, I’ll pay the extra to know how it was taken care of. This was the same story when I bought a Tacoma in 16 - 4 year old used one was only 2k cheaper and had 30k on it. No thanks I’ll take the new one.

Tacoma’s are reliable, and like someone mentioned looking at them as a tool keeps you in check. Definitely not a whole family rig(my reason for buying this time - another kid due any day), you’re definitely not towing much with it, but for the right guy they’re great.