What makes a good hunting DVD?

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that I can't stand is don't try and fool viewers into thinking the man behind the camera doesn't exist. Don't send the camera up to the expired animal and then have the Hunter come up and act like he has to ensure the animal is expired and its the first time.

Not much but thats my biggest pet peeve. I wish I had more $ to spend on DVDs! sounds like there are some good ones out there!

Mike

What Mike said X2!

One thing I can't stand is hunting shows where every episode the host is going on some kind of expensive guided trip where the cheapest trip of the season would be more expensive than I could ever afford in a liftetime. I would like to see these guys go on a DIY public hunt deep in the backcountry and try to be successful. However, I do find myself watching these shows, but I would much rather watch a show that the viewer could actually do if they put forth the research and effort.

I really like Steven Rinellas "Meateater" because the show focuses more on the hunt and the harvest of the meat, rather than the antlers. I think this is important in a TV show than seeing somone only focused on a trophy.

I also like shows that focus more on the preparation that goes into the hunting season and the surrounding nature just as much as the hunt. I really like "Heartland Bowhunter" because they have some awesome videography and they are not trying to pitch you a product the whole time.

I have seen trailers online for Pure Elevation's videos and Born and Raised Outdoors videos. I have not purchased any of these yet, but probabally will in the future. Looks like some awesome backcountry films.

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
Your videos are great Billy. I say videos but I have only seen one and that's your newest I bought a couple of months ago. It's hard to suggest much more than what you already doing as far as filming. I like the interactions with the hunters and pilots. Your personality really makes it seem like your there to have an adventure and help the hunter fill their tag.

Everybody is intrigued with Alaska now a days. It's the ultimate adventure destination so you are in the best spot in the world for filming hunting adventures.

I think it would be nice to see what all is involved in planning for the average hunter. What type of gear is needed for sheep, caribou, moose, brown bears and so forth.

Your thought process while you're there, your mindset. What's it like being alone in the middle of nowhere waiting for days for the weather to break to bring in a hunter? What types of dangers or injuries do you have to be prepared for whether it be a grizzly in camp, plane malfunctions or a hunter falling and breaking a leg, what's protocol for an injured hunter?

What you look for in a basin to glass for Dall sheep? Do you want to be high or low? Facing a certain direction?

What type of area do you look for big bears and moose in? What is there home range? Food sources and so forth?

Overall your videos have tons of great footage, scenery and animals.

It does miss a bit of cinematic quality. The cuts between scenes can be a bit rough and the transitions could be more aesthetic and smooth. Careful with the zooming in and out and panning shots. Are you using a professional service to edit your footage or are you doing it yourself?

Music can make a huge difference in video. Just watch Looney Tunes on mute sometime, it's just not the same. Dramatic music in the right spots help the viewers adrenaline flow.

What type of mic are you using on your camera? Sometimes your voice sounds far away. It's easy to tell you are behind the camera. Maybe look into non directional type mics (omni directional), but they can have their own challenges as well.

I am no pro, just a hobbyist and my equipment doesn't allow me to make much more than a high quality home movie of the family, in other words, my suggestions are worth what you paid for them.

If you don't make a single change, I would still buy your next video. I do enjoy broadcast quality projects though.

WV hunter is the victor, PM sent, claim your spoils! Thanks to all!! Some great stuff to work on this fall!

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Congrats to WV Hunter. Still think mine was better, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and WV Hunter had some very good ideas. Another thought came to me as I was reading this today. What audience are you trying to appeal to? This group (Rokslide folks) are not representative of the broader hunting population. I would presume this group to generally be more hardcore and knowledgable than the wider hunting population. What our opinions and viewpoints are may not be representative of the bigger hunting group. I did Youtube some of your trailers and was quite impressed. The trailers get me pumped up. Can't wait to get to Alaska to hunt. About 57 days and counting. Are most hunters gong to have the resources and time to do the Alaska hunt? Probably not, but you might get some of them motivated to find the time and money to do a hunt, whether it be a DIY caribou or a fully outfitted sheep or brown bear hunt. My dad did not hunt with me, but it must be in my blood to want to do it. If you can ignite or fuel the passion for some of these people to dedicate themselves to one of these hunts, I would consider it a success. If you want the videos to be a commercial success, then you should consider a focus group of a broader cross segment of hunters. Focusing on us (Rokslide groupies), may not necessarily be where you should stop your research. I do appreciate the opportunity to give you my .02 worth.

sessions

FNG
Hey Billy I have all of your videos and probably 200 other ones the best thing about your videos is you show everything leaving home missing your family setting up camp the gear you use You just seem to be a real person with a real passion for hunting even though it's not you killing the animal my favorite dad's by far thanks and keep them coming

JoshTX

WKR
Hey Billy I have all of your videos and probably 200 other ones the best thing about your videos is you show everything leaving home missing your family setting up camp the gear you use You just seem to be a real person with a real passion for hunting even though it's not you killing the animal my favorite dad's by far thanks and keep them coming

I completely agree, but holy necropost batman!

You have to see that they are having a good time.
When their face is all contorted to show how tough they are and not proud of the accomplishment...eh
i like some humor such as falling in a creek stubbing your toe do not need perfection something always goes wrong out there.
Like to be taught..."anything", tell us that we "can" do what you are showing us.
One primary individual but you have to mix things up with others as well...to learn and teach.
Scenery
Dub in the distance watching an archery shot sometimes it looks so far, other times they tell you it was 35 yards.
Dont pretend, where is the animal...well it is actually just this side of the cameraman you are walking towards.