What makes the Ruger 10/22 special?

johwinz

FNG
Been meaning to ask this for some time now, why is this ugly thing special? It looks kinda less than beautiful, its just a .22 and its ugly, so why is it so redeemed?

Laramie

WKR
It is accurate, reliable, and needs very little maintenance. When it does need maintenance, it is very easy. There is also an gob of aftermarket stocks and accessories available so guys can easily customize so they aren't "ugly".

Rich M

WKR
It just shoots and keeps shooting.
If I was gonna get another it would be the takedown version.

Kentucky

WKR
I’ve got an old one from the 80s, has metal trigger guard, solid walnut stock, it’s an I went through the phase on wanting to swap shit around with stocks and what not, but I like it as is… had in for 30 years.. got it when I was 8

So redeemed? Revered maybe?

It's fun, handy, reliable, durable, inexpensive, accurate, adaptable and American made. Other than that, there's not much of a reason to have one.

I’ve got an old one from the 80s, has metal trigger guard, solid walnut stock, it’s an I went through the phase on wanting to swap shit around with stocks and what not, but I like it as is… had in for 30 years.. got it when I was 8
👆 same! 10/22 was my first rifle! It’s had tons of bricks 🧱 down it. Taken piles of critters

ChrisAU

WKR
Picked up my first one last week for $360 bucks, just like this one. I like it so far. Put a Weaver 2.5-7x28 on it. Don't think this model is too ugly.

getimage.php

03mossy

WKR
There just fun! My father bought himslef one when he was 13. Gave it to me when I turned 10. And I passed it down to my son just last year when he turned 10. Couldn't even begin to count the number of rounds through that gun or the number of small game it has taken. We shoot it pretty much weekly.

MattB

WKR
It just shoots and keeps shooting.
If I was gonna get another it would be the takedown version.
I have the takedown and do not like it. The accuracy is not as good as the std version I used to have and the groups seems to shift around after disassembly/reassembly. Frustrating because I love the concept.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
For me, there's nothing "special" per say about them. BUT, that doesn't mean they still aren't a great little plinker.

They're kind of like a small block Chevy V8. Not only is there tons and tons of aftermarket parts available for them but just about every parts store in American will have what you need. You don't have to be a Chevy guy to appreciate the value in that. I look at the 10/22's the same way, you don't have to even like Rugers to appreciate the value in a 10/22. Even if you get one that doesn't do exactly what you want there is so much aftermarket stuff for those damn things you can replace any part/piece you don't like.

Also, I haven't been around one for years so I don't know if this has changed but they used to eat and go bang with just about anything and everything you could feed them and when it comes to plinking and shooting volume, that is a good thing.

I don't own one and probably never will, they just don't trip my trigger, but for a volume plinker that you may want to someday modify, I can't think of a better option.