What makes the Ruger 10/22 special?

Q child

WKR
I've had one since I was a little kid. My first firearm. Great little guns. Mine has been trusty, and I haven't always treated it as well as I should have. But, it always cleans up nice and keeps shooting. Not sure if that makes it special or not... Its just a cheap and (mostly) reliable gun.

kurtiss00

FNG
I love mine, first rifle I ever bought with summer wages. I've swapped stocks several times but have come full circle in my older age and now lives in with original walnut. I've lost count of tin cans and rabbits that I've perforated. Hope my kids will get to do the same.

Jlee91w

FNG
It is the only 22 you need to have if you only get to have 1. I always tell people to buy a 10/22 because you can do so much with them. Kind of like a Glock or Remington 870, universal and you will always have parts and can sell it when you want to upgrade to something else.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's because shooting one immediately takes your back to being a kid. Some of my best shooting memories were popping woodchucks and squirrels with my 10/22 as a ~10 year old.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
I have the takedown and do not like it. The accuracy is not as good as the std version I used to have and the groups seems to shift around after disassembly/reassembly. Frustrating because I love the concept.
Have you made sure the O-ring that attaches to the barrel assembly is really snug when you put it back together...almost to the point of the barrel being hard to put in? Mine shot as yours did til I realized that. It's now as good or better than my other ones.

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 Marlin 22s. A model 25n bolt-action and a model 795 semi-auto (mag fed). They both are far more accurate than the average, standard barrel-band 10/22.

I must confess, however, that since I was a little kid I stared at catalogs with 10/22 parts wanting to "build" one with a crazy-colored, laminated whale pelvis stock and a 2" diameter barrel. It's the modular nature that is attractive. Never got around to it.

Now-a-days I would appreciate a walnut, Monte Carlo, adult-size stocked example (preferable with the silver receiver) and a match-grade barrel/chamber. I'd be lucky if it shot better than my $99 Marlin 795, though.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Have you made sure the O-ring that attaches to the barrel assembly is really snug when you put it back together...almost to the point of the barrel being hard to put in? Mine shot as yours did til I realized that. It's now as good or better than my other ones.
I tightened it as much as I could by hand, didn’t seem to help much.

I’ve got an old one from the 80s, has metal trigger guard, solid walnut stock, it’s an I went through the phase on wanting to swap shit around with stocks and what not, but I like it as is… had in for 30 years.. got it when I was 8
Same here. I'll just buy a new modded one if I want to do that. The old one shoots well and is just plain fun.

got one as a kid because my parents were cheap & didn't wanna pay for a baby sister & a brick of shells only cost $5 back then, there wasn't a living squirrel, blackbird, woodchuck or striped gopher alive within miles of our farm because of 10/22 & to this day still shoots like a dream