What Mono bullets you shooting?

WyoElk

WKR
TTSX, I've never had reason to try anything different. I love how fast they are and they hit like lightning.

Scottyboy

WKR
I had Steve at Hammer load me up a round for my 7mm and they worked perfectly. I plan on sending him my 300wm once it's completed for load development

Boreal

WKR
Trying to see if the6.5 mm 129 gr LRX are going to make me give up the 130 TSX

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
shot TTSX quite a lot on elk and they work flawlessly - also been interjecting Nosler etips into the stable when I have time, ALL characteristics are every bit as good as TTSX with the added comment of liking the terminal performance of the etip very much (on elk, haven't had the chance to try on other game as yet) - I am going to try 150 etips in the '06 AI this fall

Accubonds have been the old standby and have never let me or anyone else I know of down ...... just sayin'

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
145gr LRX in 7mm calibers. 168gr TTSX in 30cal stuff has worked well for myself/group I hunt with.

I shoot the 145gr LRX pronghorn through elk. I stick to an impact velocity of 2200+ in my deployment of them and don't just shoot for lung shots with them since I don't feel that is an ideal placement for this style of bullet.

efnm

WKR
145gr LRX in 7mm calibers. 168gr TTSX in 30cal stuff has worked well for myself/group I hunt with.

I shoot the 145gr LRX pronghorn through elk. I stick to an impact velocity of 2200+ in my deployment of them and don't just shoot for lung shots with them since I don't feel that is an ideal placement for this style of bullet.

Meaning you try to break the shoulder?

efnm

WKR
Those hammer bullets pretty damn cool, too bad I have a bunch of 120g TTSXs built up for my 7mm08 already otherwise I'd be all over the 131g hunter as an option to build.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Meaning you try to break the shoulder?

I shoot for the heart zone (heart, front lungs and lots of large bore blood vessels) in many instances which means I'm encroaching on those shoulder bones at some shot angles but not specifically targeting center of shoulder. When bones are hit the bullet holds together and continues right on through the animal thus why I don't shy from them.

I view their performance as if it was an arrow that can pass through bone and creates a few inches of destruction around its path. It doesn't penetrate and dump its energy into a beach ball sized path. I personally want to direct that path right through the heart zone as opposed to rear lungs where I don't feel its as effective (where fragmenting bullets are effective).

GKPrice

Banned
Which is pretty much what any "controlled expansion" bullet is designed to do and does given shot placement/impact velocity - If each shot at game was placed perfectly for a double lung shot then Ballistic Tips would be all that was needed
"bonded core" bullets emulate the famous Nosler Partition which does both expand on impact and penetrate, the Accubond was born as a "hybrid" (for lack of a better word) between good flight characteristics of the Ballistic Tip and good penetration traits of the Partition - Barnes came up with the TTSX as their timely response to the TSX and both of them work great in their element as well

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep. I was just clarifying how I deploy them for results I find favorable. Not everyone will initially think in terms of a more controlled pass through channel in terms of placement selection, they might pick a bullet purely because someone else they knows shoots it and not consider that shot placement needs to be factored in as well. Shoot a controlled expansion bullet through rear lungs on an elk and you might not like the results.

But also the main thing I was pointing out is even though barnes says the LRX are rated to 1600fps and TTSX are rated to 1800fps impact velocity to "open" I didn't like the photos I could find of the bullets at those impact velocities as they didn't have full peel back of the petals. So I hold myself to 2200fps impact with those bullets as photos seemed to have pretty much full expansion at those velocities.

I tried catching one at 400yd from my 7-08 in a water bath for shits and giggles one day to see in person but I didn't have a thick enough column to stop the bullet, I need to revisit that at some point.

I picked up some 127gr LRX bullets for the 6.5CM to try. I've shot them at the range with decent results. If anyone's got experience with these on game, I'd love to hear it. Especially at moderate distances.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I picked up some 127gr LRX bullets for the 6.5CM to try. I've shot them at the range with decent results. If anyone's got experience with these on game, I'd love to hear it. Especially at moderate distances.

My advice was above for the slightly larger 145lrx. I have put those through 2bulls, half dozen antelope and a mulie. Just medium range shots out to 400.

I've been using Barnes for about 5 years now and have been very impressed. 80 gr TTSX in .243 for pronghorn. 290 gr TMZ in the muzzleloader for deer. 150 gr TTSX in .300 for everything. As others have mentioned, the only downside is getting the bullets to expand at lower velocities on long-range shots. That is why I step down in bullet weight for the caliber to increase velocity and help with expansion.

GKPrice

Banned
Yep. I was just clarifying how I deploy them for results I find favorable. Not everyone will initially think in terms of a more controlled pass through channel in terms of placement selection, they might pick a bullet purely because someone else they knows shoots it and not consider that shot placement needs to be factored in as well. Shoot a controlled expansion bullet through rear lungs on an elk and you might not like the results.

But also the main thing I was pointing out is even though barnes says the LRX are rated to 1600fps and TTSX are rated to 1800fps impact velocity to "open" I didn't like the photos I could find of the bullets at those impact velocities as they didn't have full peel back of the petals. So I hold myself to 2200fps impact with those bullets as photos seemed to have pretty much full expansion at those velocities.

I tried catching one at 400yd from my 7-08 in a water bath for shits and giggles one day to see in person but I didn't have a thick enough column to stop the bullet, I need to revisit that at some point.

ALL points well made ..... At those posted minimum expansion velocities most all of the monolithic bullets usually look like a solid dug out of a Cape Buffalo .....