What never leaves your pack

Lowg08

WKR
I was cleaning out my pack. It got me to thinking. What items never leave your bag. When I cleaned it out. I had my first aid kit, kill kit, rain suit, puffy pants and jacket, water filter and a tarp. I thought it seemed a bit over kill but. It felt like it would get me through a situation considering the distance I go in to hunt. Does anyone else carry this much permanently on every hunt.

I was cleaning out my pack. It got me to thinking. What items never leave your bag. When I cleaned it out. I had my first aid kit, kill kit, rain suit, puffy pants and jacket, water filter and a tarp. I thought it seemed a bit over kill but. It felt like it would get me through a situation considering the distance I go in to hunt. Does anyone else carry this much permanently on every hunt.
Your list plus a firestarter, some ProBars & signal mirror/beacon flashlight/headlamp in case I become injured or ill and am spending the night in the backcountry sans shelter.

Last edited:
The only constants are butt wipes, kill kit, some para cord, very basic first aid kit, Cliff bar, and headlamp with spare batteries.

All other items are dependent upon what I’m hunting, where I’m hunting, how I’m hunting, and weather forecast.

I’ve used rain gear a small handful of days in AZ and Mexico since 2015. While it is always at camp, it rarely comes out to the field as it’s just a waste of pack space and weight.

I always bring my own water when hunting in AZ and Mexico. I have zero desire to drink “sanitized” water fresh from a tank chock full of fecal matter from a variety of animals.

ShakeDown

WKR
The only things that never leave my side are the items in my harness:

InReach, mini compass, bic mini lighter, small tinder bundle, extra lithium CR2 3V, couple small zip ties, aqua tabs, mini pen, wind checker, small ball cap clip on headlamp. On my person I always have a folding pocket knife, phone and chapstick.

Usually in my pack, SOL emergency tarp, first aid kit with SWAT-T and hemo gauze, raincoat, puffy, nalgene, steripen, Z Seat, small bow repair kit, headlamp, Anker battery pack.

Last edited:
OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I meant to mention a back up headlight. Also chapstick and cotton balls in my first aid kit have a flashlight in my first aid kit. Lots of stuff in my first aid kit. Emergency blanket lots of stuff

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll often switch bags or packs depending on the length of the hunt- day hunt to multi-day hunt. What I've done to simplify things is I have a couple of small dry bags (think they are 1 liter, maybe even smaller). They contain things that no matter the length of the trip, they're going. One contains a first aid kit, fire kit, repair kit, headlamp/spare batteries, Aquatabs; the other one contains a modest kill kit.

When I switch packs, I just remove those two dry bags and throw them in.

A compass, iPhone (w/ Gaiagps) and folder on my person and inReach Mini strapped to a shoulder strap always go as well.

It's nice to just grab the two small dry bags and go.

Sled

WKR
I see these threads from time to time and the theme is usually the same. Everyone talks about water, food and associated survival items. Then you read the next thread and everyone starts talking about dropping your pack on a stalk. Like @ShakeDown just said, that stuff stays with or on you for a reason. It can make a survival situation just another spike out camping trip if done right.

Like Mike Tyson said best "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
Making a list (spreadsheet) has helped. I use the spreadsheet to ensure I have everything I need before a hunt. Use it again after the hunt to review items that didn’t get used. After a couple of years of not getting used, those things get removed from the list. Keeps me from having a pack full of useless items. (Exception for a couple of key safety and backup items, of course.)

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Making a list (spreadsheet) has helped. I use the spreadsheet to ensure I have everything I need before a hunt. Use it again after the hunt to review items that didn’t get used. After a couple of years of not getting used, those things get removed from the list. Keeps me from having a pack full of useless items. (Exception for a couple of key safety and backup items, of course.)
I really like this idea. Something I may start doing myself

Tarp, flash light, water filter, matches, lighter, Vaseline soaked cotton balls, cordage, very basic first aid kit, compass, bottle of water, and a multi tool.

From September through April, I will either have a puffy (if it’s just me) or a down blanket (if family is with me).

manitou1

WKR
Depends on the time of year, elevation and weather forecast.
Rain gear comes out if no rain in the forecast. Stove and fuel come out if I am not hunting all day in cold weather... if it is cold, we like a cup of soup or coffee to keep motivated. Water purification stays out on day hunts. Puffy stays out in warmer weather.
My zoleo, water, flares, kill kit, compass and first aid kit go every outing.