What never leaves your pack

Sled

WKR
A lot of combat training includes make shift tourniquet training. You can learn everything you need to know from a youtube video. I mean honestly you can make a tourniquet out of just about anything. While carrying one isn't a bad idea, I get sick of all the "just in case" gear i.e. sat phones, extensive med kits, etc.

Now if you are worried, carry that shit. Otherwise, just be smart.

It says in the top of the pack for archery season. Other times of the year it may be elsewhere. I've only applied a handful of tourniquets but when time is a concern I don't want to be looking for supplies to make one. I'd rather use a pressure bandage if given the chance and if it will do.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I was cleaning out my pack. It got me to thinking. What items never leave your bag. When I cleaned it out. I had my first aid kit, kill kit, rain suit, puffy pants and jacket, water filter and a tarp. I thought it seemed a bit over kill but. It felt like it would get me through a situation considering the distance I go in to hunt. Does anyone else carry this much permanently on every hunt.
A good old fashioned compass!

A lot of combat training includes make shift tourniquet training. You can learn everything you need to know from a youtube video. I mean honestly you can make a tourniquet out of just about anything. While carrying one isn't a bad idea, I get sick of all the "just in case" gear i.e. sat phones, extensive med kits, etc.

Now if you are worried, carry that shit. Otherwise, just be smart.
While it's true that you can technically make a tourniquet out of just about anything, this is poor advice. Improvised tourniquets are the last (read worst) case scenario.

CAT Tourniquets (and SOF-T depending on unit SOP's) are THE standard for major hemorrhaging, junctional wounds not withstanding. In fact, improvised tourniquets were the norm in the early years of the GWOT until we realized that we were losing too many troops to major hemorrhaging that, upon investigation, should not have been fatal.

The idea that an untrained individual will be able to create an improvised tourniquet from items on their person that compresses enough tissue to completely stop circulation long enough to extract themselves from a field situation, in a life-or-death scenario, after a traumatic event, is almost laughable.

Commercial tourniquets are so widely available and distributed that if you are using an improvised tourniquet in a combat situation only one of two things is possible: you really, really f'd up, or there is a mass casualty situation.

josef

FNG
I always take at least a partial roll of electrical tape with me. Orange color is a bonus there. I also bring a wad of folded duct tape for various things (blisters mostly). Most other items have been covered.

You must be a medic. Solid advice.

If you’ve ever seen someone bleed out, you know how fast it can happen in real time. Although it felt like time stopped, it was less than 10 minutes and they were gone.

I’m grateful for threads like this that make me refocus. I went into my med kit and found my CAT missing! Shit! Good catch!!
Additionally, the time until that person is in hypovolemic shock (dependent on several factors) and, frankly, incapable of helping themselves is even quicker.

Get yourself a new Gen 7 CAT for $30 and ~3oz and call it a day, my friend!

1) Flashlight or headlamp. Can't use any other tools after dark if you can't see them.
2) First Aid kit. Needs no explanation.
3) Compass. GPS and OnX are fine until the battery dies.
4) Garmin InReach for actual emergencies.
5) Sawyer water filter. So light it's foolish not to have one.
6) 50' small diameter paracord. Takes up barely any space and weighs nothing.
7) Emergency space blanket. Again, size and weight are negligible.

I could put everything above in a 1 quart ziplock with room to spare. No excuse not to have it.

bline

FNG
Year round, even for day trips:
Lighter wrapped with Leukotape
Headlamp
Small FAK with ibuprofen, CAT tourniquet, Imodium, couple bandaids, a couple single use antibiotic cream, and some gauze
Fixed blade knife
Stainless steel water bottle so I can boil water if needed
30' 550 cord or bank line
Contractor trash bag
Steri-pen
Zoleo
Phone with GAIA
Beanie and a light long sleeve shirt in case something happens and I need to stay out overnight

Added during hunting season (minimum):
Extra batteries for headlamp and Petzl E-lite
SOL emergency bivy
Puffy coat and extra gloves
Kill kit with extra cordage
Extra lighter and tinder in waterproof container

I also always carry a G20, but it's either in a chest or belt holster, along with a folding knife in my pocket.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
One time it was a clementine. When I finally found it, it was completely petrified.

Bino Harness:
- Garmin InReach
- Chapstick
- Probar
- Earplugs
- Lens cloth
- iPhone
- Game tags/License/Hunter safety
- Headlamp w/ extra batteries
- extra ammo rounds

Backapck: ( I use small waterproof bags for each “kit” and simply throw each kit from bag to bag. Simple and efficient).
- First Aid kit
- Water filer straw/collapsible 1 liter water pouch
- 50’ paracord
- TP/Dude wipes
- Fire starter kit: Lighter with electrical tape wrapped around it, waterproof matches/
- ACR resqlink PLB
- Prescription antibiotic bottle with leukotape and duct tape wrapped around it
- Headlamp w/ extra batteries
- Kill kit

TomJoad

WKR
I strive for a pretty high level of gear org but it gets a little tough depending on pack and purpose. Irrespective of season or purpose (hike, camp, hunt) there are always a few things in the pack:

Oh s… bag:
This is a set it and forget it bag with the contents of a small med kit plus emergency basics: Mylar blanket, compass, micro bic, single small gear aid sheet, Needle with a few meters of thread. This is the pouch I never ever open unless disaster strikes: someone gets hurt or critical gear breaking. When I’ve had to use it I go back and rebuild it after the trip to make sure everything is intact for next time.

EL Basics: Phone with Gaia and onX area maps downloaded, Headlamp (1x spare lithium batteries), small battery bank and cord for phone (I wrap this with one band of 3 layers of duct tape for gear repair and easy first aid)

Rigging: 4 ITW nylon carabiners and 2 small petzl Ang biners. UL 1.5mm dyneema cordage 2 bundles 50’ each. 2 bundles heavy cordage 3mm solid braided dyneema at 50’. Depending on season this is for everything possible but always rigging to bags, shelter, hanging bear bags and gear field repair. This is doubled on the heavy cordage for hunt season (quarter hanging)

ULW Tarp: homemade 8x10 dyneema tarp 4oz alone or 6oz with all needed guy lines attached. This is an excellent emergency shelter but I use it as a wind break glassing, as a backcountry kitchen for shade or rain, any number of things. At 1/2 the size of a nalgene it’s an indispensable versatile piece of kit.

Shell: from ultralight in deep summer to 3L goretex in fall/winter

Med wt merino socks: always an extra pair of merino in the pack. I use these for stream crossings without shoes. Wool is way stickier than rubber on slick rock, there is a reason good wading boots have had felt soles, it works. This has the added benefit of keeping your boots dry. Irrespective of trip length I’ve got two pairs: one on my feet, one on/in the pack. I trade these throughout a trip.

Bandana: always 2 light cotton bandanas, usually one tied to the pack drying in the sun. So, so many uses, hanky, dishrag, washcloth, sun protection, wind protection, foraging basket (shrooms & greens)

Small Knife: Opinel no. 8 carbon

Hunt Specific Add:

Kill Kit:
single pouch with the following: Tags, ballpoint pen, zipties x 6, 3 @ 1gallon ziplocks for offal (heart, liver, caul fat), ulw breathable game quarter bags.

Dressing/camp knife: skeletonized White River backpacker

Maki35

WKR
Never leaves my pack... Headlamp w/extra batteries, folder knife, lighter & ferro rod, canteen, first aid kit, 550 cord, and a poncho.