What never leaves your pack

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I always bring a lighter, water filter, head lamp, plastic grocery bag, and an emergency blanket. Pretty much always have a pocket knife too but it's not in my pack.

Shilly21

FNG
Mostly day hunts for me in Arizona but sun screen ,head light, hiking sticks, and first aid kit never leave my pack.

Compression bandages for snakebite , and gaiters, PLB. I actually saw a video on Y/Tube the other day about general backpacking and watched the snake bite scenario with great interest. It was a US based vid. In it the girl said wash the wound which I thought was unusual and she made no mention of using a compression bandage, and even suggested trying to get out of the woods if you were bitten. Your rattler have huge fangs compared to aussie snakes so you would sure know you got bitten, not so in Australia. You won't last long trying to get out of the woods if your bitten by most of our snakes sadly. The above are mandatory for Hunters and Hikers here.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone running a tourniquet in their first aid kit or as part of your pack load?

I have been for 2 years. A guy hunting near us slipped when gutting his deer and slashed his wrist. He lost a lot of blood fast and became delirious and started wandering around. A buddy found him and put a tourniquet on his arm and they airlifted him out of there. He would have died without the tourniquet.

Sled

WKR
I have been for 2 years. A guy hunting near us slipped when gutting his deer and slashed his wrist. He lost a lot of blood fast and became delirious and started wandering around. A buddy found him and put a tourniquet on his arm and they airlifted him out of there. He would have died without the tourniquet.

Keep it in the top of your pack if you're going to carry it. I like the cat style tourniquet since it's easy to use one handed. When you need it it needs to be quick.

I was just thinking about adding these to my med kit in my pack. Anyone use them before or have any thoughts?

Skinning knife, headlamp, block and tackle, drag rope, and water bottle in saddle bags. Small saw, parachord, leather shoelaces (short segments), gps, range finder, minor first aid kit in vest. Don't wear a pack.

Over the years I have learned to use a little knife for delicate work. Little knives make little cuts and none on me.

Loper

WKR
Keep it in the top of your pack if you're going to carry it. I like the cat style tourniquet since it's easy to use one handed. When you need it it needs to be quick.

I saw a post or two about always having zip ties in a pack. This may be a dumb question, but could large zip ties be used as a makeshift tourniquet if necessary?

Sled

WKR
I saw a post or two about always having zip ties in a pack. This may be a dumb question, but could large zip ties be used as a makeshift tourniquet if necessary?
I wouldn't if I had the option. You need something that you can tension without cutting skin. The idea is to apply deep pressure and it takes more pressure than you think sometimes. The nice thing about the cat tourniquet is it can be adjusted easily. If you can get control of bleeding any other way, then you have the option to return perfusion to the extremity (or quickly shut if off if you're fix didn't work). An Israeli bandage, styptic powder or rolled gauze can be a limbsaver if you're more than 4-6hrs deep in the woods. Not to mention it hurts like hell when you cut off circulation to a limb.

If you get good with the two finger stuffing technique, then rolled gauze is quite effective at stopping bleeding from penetrating injuries.

*zap*

WKR
a piece of magnesium ribbon should be able to cauterize any wound for you if you can bear the pain....don't look at the light....

Loper

WKR
I wouldn't if I had the option. You need something that you can tension without cutting skin. The idea is to apply deep pressure and it takes more pressure than you think sometimes. The nice thing about the cat tourniquet is it can be adjusted easily. If you can get control of bleeding any other way, then you have the option to return perfusion to the extremity (or quickly shut if off if you're fix didn't work). An Israeli bandage, styptic powder or rolled gauze can be a limbsaver if you're more than 4-6hrs deep in the woods. Not to mention it hurts like hell when you cut off circulation to a limb.

If you get good with the two finger stuffing technique, then rolled gauze is quite effective at stopping bleeding from penetrating injuries.

Good to know. Thanks for taking the time to reply and explain this.

Making a list (spreadsheet) has helped. I use the spreadsheet to ensure I have everything I need before a hunt. Use it again after the hunt to review items that didn’t get used. After a couple of years of not getting used, those things get removed from the list. Keeps me from having a pack full of useless items. (Exception for a couple of key safety and backup items, of course.)
*removes bow, kill kit, and tags from pack.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Anyone running a tourniquet in their first aid kit or as part of your pack load?
A lot of combat training includes make shift tourniquet training. You can learn everything you need to know from a youtube video. I mean honestly you can make a tourniquet out of just about anything. While carrying one isn't a bad idea, I get sick of all the "just in case" gear i.e. sat phones, extensive med kits, etc.

Now if you are worried, carry that shit. Otherwise, just be smart.