What new gun to buy

IaArcher

FNG
I had to put a new scope on my 7mm Mag a week before I left for antelope hunt in Wy first week of October. I decided to buy a new Leupold Vx3 4.5-14 to replace my vx2 3-9 that wasn’t tracking. I sent the scope in to be fixed thinking I would just sell it but now thing I should add a new gun instead. I mainly hunt antelope but will be doing a elk hunt next year. I really don’t enjoy the recoil of the 7mm so was looking for something with lighter recoil. My local Mills Fleet Farm has a Tikka 270 for $490 that has my interest. I already have a 243 that can be used also. I was thinking a 6.5 Creedmoor might be a good fit. I also would like to buy factory loads for now. Would like to stay under $600 if I can.

Rodéo

WKR
If it were me, I'd buy a howa 1500 (or weatherby vanguard), Mauser m18, or a tikka. The tikka is the only one out of the three that I haven't shot but it'll probably be my next rifle based on all the great reviews and the light weight. They all shoot great and all have good build quality for"budget" rifles.

The Tikka in 270 Win is a great choice.

If you can wait till Thanksgiving/Black Friday, Bass Pro/Cabelas will have the Savage 110 Storm for $550 (including rebates). I have one in 6.5 CM and it is a shooter with commercial ELD-X and ELD-M. I'd look to see if you can get a 7mm-08 since elk is on your list.

OP
I

IaArcher

FNG
I will probably stick with the 7mm Mag for elk so really asking what caliber and brand to buy for deer and antelope.I would like to have something that was good out of the box without having to modify triggers and stocks. How good are the Tikka triggers? I do like Savage so the Bass Pro sales are definitely interesting. How good are the Bergara rifles which are a little more than I wanted to spend?

wyosam

WKR
I will probably stick with the 7mm Mag for elk so really asking what caliber and brand to buy for deer and antelope.I would like to have something that was good out of the box without having to modify triggers and stocks. How good are the Tikka triggers? I do like Savage so the Bass Pro sales are definitely interesting. How good are the Bergara rifles which are a little more than I wanted to spend?

People love to tinker with the Tikkas, but they don’t need it. The triggers are fantastic- you can lighten them plenty, and they are very crisp. The Tupperware stock is one of the better factory offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squincher

WKR
I'd get a Weatherby Vanguard in .25-06 for deer and antelope.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Get a 7-08. I had one and sold it and am saving for another. Tikka, Howa and Bergara look hard to beat at that price point.

kickemall

WKR
I had to put a new scope on my 7mm Mag a week before I left for antelope hunt in Wy first week of October. I decided to buy a new Leupold Vx3 4.5-14 to replace my vx2 3-9 that wasn’t tracking. I sent the scope in to be fixed thinking I would just sell it but now thing I should add a new gun instead. I mainly hunt antelope but will be doing a elk hunt next year. I really don’t enjoy the recoil of the 7mm so was looking for something with lighter recoil. My local Mills Fleet Farm has a Tikka 270 for $490 that has my interest. I already have a 243 that can be used also. I was thinking a 6.5 Creedmoor might be a good fit. I also would like to buy factory loads for now. Would like to stay under $600 if I can.
Your going to be hard pressed to find a better deal on a Tikka, or any quality gun, than the .270 you listed and its a quality gun right out of the box.

nphunter

WKR
Kimber hunter in 6.5cm would be a great option as well. I bought them for both of my boys and they both shoot sub MOA. They are both equipped with Talley rings and Leupold 3-9 scopes.

A 280 Remington is also a great choice, it would be a great cartridge for large animals as well.

JDE

FNG
The Tikka in 270 Win is a great choice.

If you can wait till Thanksgiving/Black Friday, Bass Pro/Cabelas will have the Savage 110 Storm for $550 (including rebates). I have one in 6.5 CM and it is a shooter with commercial ELD-X and ELD-M. I'd look to see if you can get a 7mm-08 since elk is on your list.

I’ve been looking at the savage 110 in 6.5 cm
Do they do ok with other ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk