What one day's worth of food looks like for us

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My wife is a diet and physical fitness counsellor, and she brought this home a couple years ago.

It makes life easier when shopping for health food (when trying to loose weight), or backpacking food (when trying for highest caloric intake).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375699943561.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375699943561.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 206
I've noticed a bunch of people vacume sealing butt-hole sammies. When you do. You dont have to vacuum so much. Right before it starts to smash. Stop and seal. Also I like to freeze them and then vacuum and seal. Less of a mess.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've noticed a bunch of people vacume sealing butt-hole sammies. When you do. You dont have to vacuum so much. Right before it starts to smash. Stop and seal. Also I like to freeze them and then vacuum and seal. Less of a mess.

I vacuum them that much on purpose and it doesn't make a mess. How is it messy for you?

eh. you know peanut butter spreads out the sides sometimes. peanut butter Spread with the sugar holds better.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
The granola we are using (Quaker in the purple bag from Costco) has 240 cal in 1/2 cup. My powdered milk calls for 1/3c of milk powder to make 1cup of milk. So I put 1 cup of granola in each ziploc with 1/3c milk powder for a total of (240x2) + 80= 560 calories per breakfast. In the field I add approx 3/4 cup of water (I never measure, but its close!) stir and enjoy....

My feeling on powdered milk is I would rather have it a little strong than too watery. Can't stand "chalky" milk....
I totally agree! Watery milk.....yuk!
I buy the Carnation box that has 4 1qt pkgs. I divide a Quart pkg by 4 (1 cup) and add powder directly to my Vac bags of granola. When using it, I just add enough water to make it taste good. Oviously you can double the powder for a whole pint if you like, nothing wrong w/ doubling the calories & protien.
Hunt'nFish

PA 5-0

WKR
I have never seen this on any food list but I have a question folks: with all the athletic types on here, anyone ever pack good ole protein powder for simple protein shakes??? With all the body and muscle breakdown talk, I am in the process of bagging up my favorite protein powder for two shakes a day(in addition to real food). Two scoops of lightweight powder in a small ziploc is a couple hundred calories with a more important 50grams of protein. A general rule with training is to consume at least 29 grams of protein within an hour of finishing a strenuous workout. Hastens recovery, provides muscle fuel, etc, etc.

Look forward to your thoughts/opinions.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know many who take it and mix it with their morning oatmeal. Not to many that I know that just make shakes though.

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
It's either protein powder or a cliff builder bar for me. I drink two protein shakes a day year round. So when I venture off on my backpack hunts is when I change up my diet. Log more fats and sugars during the day. Bcaa in my water which is a pre digested protein in itself. Then every night is finished with a mountain house and some other sort of high protein snack. I have put two scoops of chocolate protein powder in a raspberry crumble. It was simply amazing I recommend it. On that note though it was only a two day scout trip. Five six days of food i find my protein in my elk jerky.