What ONE item has the biggest impact in your shots?

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
So this is kind of not fair because i know for me it changes from time to time. But today I was shooting and when I relaxed string forearm and only held the string with enough tension to hold it back I started shooting baseball groups (ok just outside baseball groups) at 30 and 35. (thanks to a quick comment in one of the stickbow chronicles podcast)
With that example in mind what is one thing in your form or process that tends to tighten everything up?

Could be useful info in here!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Shoulder alignment with the target. If you're out of alignment it doesn't matter how smooth your release is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fletching with shield cut feathers so that they sit just off my chin at full draw. Engage the back muscles to touch the feather to my chin, and the arrow is gone. It works like a clicker. It’s very consistent.

Outside of the obvious Good-form and follow through, the thing that tightened up my groups was, focusing on how important a role the Peep Sight plays for repeatability.

If you go too small, you lose vision too soon under the canopy of the trees in low light.
If you go too big, the sight pin can float around in way too much for good target acquisition.

Getting the right size Peep, and remembering to center the sight pin Halo in it, before focusing on the sight pin is key. It takes some practice, but eventually comes naturally, and so does hitting a small target accurately.

Geewhiz

WKR
For me, I have to be very conscious of my release every time. If I start shooting poorly, most often times it comes from a poor release.

Mythewood

FNG
Think it was Howard Hill who said hold your bow like it's in a vice. Don't crush it but it shouldn't move. Too often I have a tendency to want to push the bow away to the left.

Macleod

FNG
Maintaining a constant pull, not holding my shot at all. When I focus on increasing tension throughout the whole shot, it feels great and I spent less time digging field tips and broadheads out of pine trees.

Just ONE thing? Gee, I dunno.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about alignment, getting my eye right over the nock of the arrow, and pulling through the shot without losing tension.

Beendare

WKR
Many pros talk about alignment being important.......I think it was Terry Green on Trad gang and his form clock that really hit home with me....worth a look.

Once I really focused on it....my DL was more consistent and I didn't lose as many shots from side to side.

It starts with your grip......just a slightly cocked wrist with my hand pushing slightly away from the target kills my accuracy and consistency.

Versus when my grip pressure is pushing right at the target- I get better accuracy and consistency.

I think someone said its good to 'grip that bow like you mean it'-well I know a longbow with a low mass riser is different- but with my recurves, I do not need a death grip like I do on Glocks [more for controlling recoil and fast shooting with Glocks than accuracy]

For me, Its much more important my hand pressure is pushing right to the target with a straight locked wrist....vs a stranglehold or a slight angle. In fact, I shoot worse when I put a death grip on my riser.YMMV

Many pros talk about alignment being important.......I think it was Terry Green on Trad gang and his form clock that really hit home with me....worth a look.

Once I really focused on it....my DL was more consistent and I didn't lose as many shots from side to side.

It starts with your grip......just a slightly cocked wrist with my hand pushing slightly away from the target kills my accuracy and consistency.

Versus when my grip pressure is pushing right at the target- I get better accuracy and consistency.

I think someone said its good to 'grip that bow like you mean it'-well I know a longbow with a low mass riser is different- but with my recurves, I do not need a death grip like I do on Glocks [more for controlling recoil and fast shooting with Glocks than accuracy]

For me, Its much more important my hand pressure is pushing right to the target with a straight locked wrist....vs a stranglehold or a slight angle. In fact, I shoot worse when I put a death grip on my riser.YMMV

Grips make a difference. I had a hybrid with an amazing grip that felt perfect no matter how I held it. My hand just fell into place. My other recurve and my ILF I have to make sure and get my hand set on it perfect pre-shot or I'll have some float or weird groups. I definitely have to cock my wrists pre-draw to make sure I fall into alignment.

Working with a coach made a lot of things make sense in my head, especially alignment. When I went into my shooting form without my bow in my hands, a hand on each elbow made me crumple up like a can. After getting the correct alignment for my shots, it is night and day. Better hold, less float, longer tensions and cleaner breaks.

IdahoElk

WKR
One day shooting a friend tossed me his Arizona archery finger tab and I shot the best groups of my life, been using one ever since.

Wrench

WKR
For me its running the whole shot every time. That means doing everything right or starting over. Ounces make pounds and a single missing ounce is not a pound.

I would say confidence number 1. If you aren’t confident you can hit what you are looking at, all sorts of mental crap goes on and you will not shoot good groups at all.

Other than that, it would have to be true back tension (leading to a smooth/pluckless release). Once I figured out the groups tightened up a lot.

Seeknelk

WKR
Lately, I've been focusing on bracing, flexing legs,glutes and core with an open stance and then hit the alignment to target. Wow. I like it. I'm just working that part right now. Not a full ,quivering rage flex , just flexing the legs and core down a bit. But that's just the thing that help me a lot right now.