What optics to buy next

bhuntin

FNG
Hey Rokslide

I'm trying to decide if and what optics I should add or upgrade. I currently have a pair of 8x42 Nikon Monarch and a low end spotter in the 15-45 range.

I currently live in the Midwest and my goal is to do a western hunt every year or every other year rotating with elk, mule deer, and possibly antelope.

My budget is $500-$700.

I was thinking about getting a pair of vortex vulture 15x56 or do I try and upgrade my spotter? Other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Firehawk

WKR
If you hunt like a lot of the guys I know, you will spend far more time behind your bino than your spotter. My opinion, upgrade your bino first to as good of a bino as you can afford. That Nikon Monarch was good in its day, but you will likely find that the $500-$700 binos are far better than your older Monarch (assuming you using the older Monarchs and not one of the new ones that have the number at the end like "Monarch 7" or "Monarch 9" or their higher end "Monarch HG").

I use my binos every hunt and my spotter occasionally. Look at a good quality 8x or 10x bino, tripod adapter and a "butt pad" and have fun glassing. Spotters have their place, but binos are your day in and day out tool.

FH

Good luck!

elkguide

WKR
I would "get by" with what you have and save your money and then go with a pair of high end binoculars. I did and haven't regretted it (except when I spent the money). Good glass makes all the difference in the world. You can't hit what you can't see.

I'm very happy with my 10X42 Swarovskis.

I've been using the Vulture 15x56 binos for the past two years now. I've compared them in the field and in low light side by side with binos of the same specs from Zeiss and Swarovski. There's no denying the glass is crisper in the two Euro brands but I didn't feel there was enough of a difference to warrant the extra $1,500. If I ever get to the place where I can afford the upgrade to better binos then I will but until then I feel my vultures do everything I need them to. $1,500 is almost three years worth of non resident Colorado elk tags and almost 4 years of deer tags.

Just my 2 cents.

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely get good binos in 10x42 & a tripod. For what you are doing a low cost start is vortex viper hd used & tripod. Pretty dang good setup for the money

balerjoe

WKR
Do not go cheap on glass even if that means having to save longer to get what you want. I have had cheaper glass and I used to think they are not that much worse then the top dollar stuff. I bought Swaro's and for me that was a game changer. I tell people if it comes between using an older bow or rifle then it is better to have old stuff then to use cheaper glass. Another point is if you plan on selling your Swaro's down the road they hold their value while other companies not so much. Its an investment look at that way. Just my 2 cents.

I forgot to mention, Robby has a review of both the Vortex Vulture and the Vortex Kaibab here on Rokslide. A little Google search should bring it up if you're really interested in those Vultures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk