What optics to compliment 10x binos - S. AZ

kthomas

FNG
New member here, and new to hunting. Some here may recognize me from SH.

Looking for some optics advice, for my specific area and species. Hunting mule deer this fall just north of Tucson, and next year would love to go after some Coues. I'm based out of Tucson, most of my hunting will be in this area.

I just purchased a pair of 10.5x44 Kowa Genesis 's from Doug at CamerlandNY, the best glass I can afford for now. This should do for my upcoming mule deer hunt, but I want to plan and save for the future. If you were in my shoes with your current knowledge, what would you pair with a set of 10x bino for hunting in Southern AZ, for mule and Coues? A 15x binos? A spotter?

Also, for context I already have a really good tripod setup from my precision rifle hobby. RRS TVS-33S paired with a Uniqball UBH-45 Gimbal ballhead. So that's already taken care of.

I grew tired of packing 10s and 15s. Honestly if you love to glass and cover country with optics, a set of 30x66 double kowas or a btx is an incredible tool if you're in the open desert country. I'll pack my kowas into places a sane man probably shouldn't. My optic setup changes a little every year but i'll never give up my kowas.

Save your pesos for a pair of quality 15x (ex: SLCs) binoculars and get them on a tripod. Once done with that, you are better off than the bulk of the hunters in the world including the Rokslide elite. The reason is simple: you are building an optics arsenal rather than making a compromise to run a single optic for all of your hunting needs.

I have never felt the need to bring both my SLC 10s and 15s into the field at the same time while chasing Coues. It is one or the other depending on where I am hunting.

OP
kthomas

kthomas

FNG
Save your pesos for a pair of quality 15x (ex: SLCs) binoculars and get them on a tripod. Once done with that, you are better off than the bulk of the hunters in the world including the Rokslide elite. The reason is simple: you are building an optics arsenal rather than making a compromise to run a single optic for all of your hunting needs.

I have never felt the need to bring both my SLC 10s and 15s into the field at the same time while chasing Coues. It is one or the other depending on where I am hunting.

15's seem to be the consensus from my research, appreciate the response. Glad to hear that only one pair is really required on a hunt.

I'll save up and next year I'll look into getting a quality pair of 15x56's - perhaps a pair of Meopta Meostar B1 Plus.

Specific question for you - do you ever find the need for a spotter on a Coues hunt, or is a 15x enough power to accomplish your glassing objectives?

15's seem to be the consensus from my research, appreciate the response. Glad to hear that only one pair is really required on a hunt.

I'll save up and next year I'll look into getting a quality pair of 15x56's - perhaps a pair of Meopta Meostar B1 Plus.

Specific question for you - do you ever find the need for a spotter on a Coues hunt, or is a 15x enough power to accomplish your glassing objectives?
For several years I only had my SLC 15s and I did just fine.

Now that I have a spotting scope, I always have it when chasing Coues. I primarily use it for confirmations (ex: buck vs branch) but I do use it for field judging if my SLC 15s are not providing enough information to make a call. In AZ I pretty much limit my field judging to "big enough" or not. In Mexico I'm counting inches usually but I've also taken plenty of character bucks down there.

My opinion as an avid coues hunter is that 15x56s on a tripod is the gold standard for coues hunting. I would always tell someone starting after coues to get the best glass in the 15-18 power on a tripod. Now, I do often carry a spotter to confirm/investigate deer or suspicious areas. I wouldn’t prioritize it though over the 15s. I hunt southern AZ with this combo and it’s the one I recommend.

Gone4Days

WKR
I also live in AZ, probably not that far from you in San Tan Valley. My coues optics are: Swaro SLC 8x42 on chest, SLC 15x56 on tripod. I also have a 65mm spotter but mainly use that for confirmations, preseason scouting and digiscoping. Good luck!

Northpark

WKR
Also live in AZ. I’m up in Globe. I differ from the other guys it seems. I like a pair of 12x50 binos on a tripod pairs with a lightweight spotter for confirmation. Might have something to do with where I hunt and the fact that the terrain typically limits my glassing to under 1000yards.

My current setup is a pair of 12x50 viper HDs with a maven 12-27x56 spotter. I’m also an ounce weenie who does a fair bit of backpack hunting.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in Az. I have 12 El’s and a btx 85. There are times I’d like 15’s better than either, but overall it’s a good setup.

Also live in AZ. I’m up in Globe. I differ from the other guys it seems. I like a pair of 12x50 binos on a tripod pairs with a lightweight spotter for confirmation. Might have something to do with where I hunt and the fact that the terrain typically limits my glassing to under 1000yards.

My current setup is a pair of 12x50 viper HDs with a maven 12-27x56 spotter. I’m also an ounce weenie who does a fair bit of backpack hunting.
How do you like the maven for your use? I’ve been thinking about trying that, the kowa or the new swaros.

Northpark

WKR
How do you like the maven for your use? I’ve been thinking about trying that, the kowa or the new swaros.
I really like it. Nice and lightweight. That’s a consideration considering my favorite deer spot is about 5-6 miles in one way. The glass is very clear. The top end of 27x is plenty for me to identify shooter vs pass out to about 1500 yards but I’m not counting points past about 800 yards. The scope is pretty easy to use at 27x vs some of the other scopes I’ve used over the years that went to 45x but were tough to use past about 35x. So I was paying the weight penalty for magnification I wasn’t really using. Just my thoughts.

metau

FNG
For coues, I'd definitely go with 15x56's before buying anything else, since you already have 10's. That was my setup for many years chasing coues down south. If money and weight didn't matter, I'd run 8's on my chest, 15's in my pack and either Kowa Highlanders or a 115 BTX.

GlassSnob

FNG
It all comes down to money in preference (like so much in life). The first thing I was going to say was, "Buy a solid tripod that you can pack." Then I finished reading your post. LOL! The folks posting 15x56 SLC Swaro here know what they're talking about. However, those are some big binos. You might not be in the position now, but save for a pair of 12x42 NLs. They are AMAZING! The 3x you give up will be more than made up for with clarity, depth of field, field of view, weight, etc. Put those on a tripod and your SET. I mean SET forever. The amount of animals I glass up is ridiculous. My friend had a pair of Vortex HD and after we went Javelina hunting he sold enough gear to buy the NLs.

I carry a pair of 8x32 Zeiss FL on my chest while walking/stalking and pull out the NLs once I reach my perch. I've owned a couple decent spotters, but the truth is I rarely used them. Anything you can see with your big glass will be in range of a stalk - say 1/2 mile or so.

BTW, I hunt out of Tucson as well for Mule and Coues deer. Best OTC anywhere around. Best of luck! -Luke