What other "Creedmoors" are we likely to see?

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
The round is too anemic to excel with heavy for cal vld projectiles in 7mm and up.. Had the 7mm08 been developed during the long range craze, the Creedmoor wouldn't have even registered as a blip..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Not enough capacity for an ideal 7 and you run into COAL issues quicker with long 7 bullets (not any sooner than the 6.5 PRC though!). Peterson and Alpha already make 25 creed brass but quarter bore bullet options have a way to come before that is an easy transition. 6-6.5 is kind of the sweet spot for that case.

TauPhi111

WKR
Q/Hornady are making the 338 Creedmoor, aka 8.6 Blackout. For those that don't know, it will have supersonic and subsonic loadings. 8.6 will be to 308 what 300 Blackout is to 223 Rem.

BuckSnort

WKR
22 Creed, 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed are the ones I show interest in... The 25 cal is really limited on bullet selection and if you wanna go bigger than 6.5 then the 7-08 just make sense...

Q/Hornady are making the 338 Creedmoor, aka 8.6 Blackout. For those that don't know, it will have supersonic and subsonic loadings. 8.6 will be to 308 what 300 Blackout is to 223 Rem.
This is interesting,, I've been looking at a suppressed 300blk for a while!

shmtastic

FNG
I'm currently working on a 6.8 Creed. Basically building it around 130gr bullets, with the option to shoot the lighter 6.8 Spc bullets.

No need for it. The 22 has some legs, 6 is legit, then any bullet diameter over 6.5 would be a turtle race.

I wonder how many 6.5 CM owners understand that their CM being a great cartridge has nothing to do with power or speed?

If context is commercial viability, hard to figure a 25 could go anywhere in CM brass. Being realistic, there's nothing a 25 CM can do that a 6 won't do better, flatter, or faster.

No need for it. The 22 has some legs, 6 is legit, then any bullet diameter over 6.5 would be a turtle race.

I wonder how many 6.5 CM owners understand that their CM being a great cartridge has nothing to do with power or speed?

If context is commercial viability, hard to figure a 25 could go anywhere in CM brass. Being realistic, there's nothing a 25 CM can do that a 6 won't do better, flatter, or faster.
From what I've seen some of the new 25 cal bullets have a higher bc than the 6.5s ( and 6) and the velocity they are getting is pretty impressive. The way I'm looking at it 25 Creed = faster, and flatter at distance than 6 and 6.5 . Might be a great round if brass availability etc. becomes similar to the other 2?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hunters are no longer driving the market, shooters are- competition shooters. To be specific: PRS/field long range shooters. For any real chance of a new cartridge being a commercial standard it is almost certainly going to have to be a cartridge that competitors will use.

With that, I would expect that 22CM and 25CM have a very good future.

OP
Newtosavage
22 Creed, 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed are the ones I show interest in... The 25 cal is really limited on bullet selection and if you wanna go bigger than 6.5 then the 7-08 just make sense...
Well, people said that about the .260 Rem too.

But really, isn't the .284 Win the "7 Creedmoor", only too far ahead of it's time?

Am I hearing that in a true short action, anything above 6.5 isn't efficient enough?

OP
Newtosavage

But that's what they said about the 6.5 CM when compared to the 6.5 Sweded and .260 Rem., and look what happened.

Axlrod

WKR
The round is too anemic to excel with heavy for cal vld projectiles in 7mm and up.. Had the 7mm08 been developed during the long range craze, the Creedmoor wouldn't have even registered as a blip..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I was using the 7-08 back in the 80's for silhouette- 600 meters shooting off hand no sling and a scope with duplex reticle and no external adjustments. It seemed like long range back then:)

Axlrod

WKR
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Lots of folks were saying there was no need for the 6.5 CM because of the .260
I don't think there is a "need" for most new things, but if all that was avail was 22lr, 223, 30/06 and 416 Rigby ( or any 4 sm,m,L & xl cartridges) and after most people had a collection of those, gun and ammo makers would dwindle to a few or less.
They have to come out with new stuff all the time to survive.