What over the counter medication?

Rob5589

WKR
Aleve for my back, Motrin for headaches. Lidocaine patches for when my back (sciatica) get really bad.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Still at local stores here.
Interesting. I can find the other 45 different products Emergen C makes just about everywhere, but can't find the Electromix anywhere. That started a year ago. I contacted the company yesterday and they sent a reply about supply chain issues etc. But I would expect those issues to affect all their products, if that was the case. Who knows.

I think we're over analyzing ibuprofen. Does not affect your liver!

It may stress kidneys.

If taken in correct doses for a brief period of time it is a safe medication.

All patients that I've seen with issues from ibuprofen were due to either excessive dosing or chronic long-term use.

Last edited:

hoff1ck

WKR
I think we're over analyzing ibuprofen. Does not affect your liver!

It may stress kidneys.

If taken in correct doses for a brief period of time it is a safe medication.

All patients that I've seen with issues from ibuprofen were due to either excessive dosing or chronic long-term use.
For sure. Unfortunately there’s a fair bit of bad information in this thread.

Throw some pot in - great for sleep, inflammation and soreness. Plus you get a buzz and no hangovers. Time your dosage correctly near bedtime or you might find your snack supplies get hammered.
Calm and some electrolytes are great too. Lots of options there.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Generally speaking, ibuprofen is probably the single most useful OTC medication. An antibiotic would be the most useful Rx. ORS powder (oral rehydration solution) can be useful too.

Personally I would avoid Imodium and such in the back country on the assumption diarrhea is likely caused by bacteria or parasite and the risk of not letting your bowels clear it, Pepto is a better first line if you want something for diarrhea.

Benadryl is garbage, if you want a antihistamine (H1 blocker), bring a second generation. Second generation antihistamines are better in every way (particularly for acute, non-anaphylactic reactions), unless trying to get groggy, first generation are better for that. Though, they are really a bad sleep aid as they reduce REM sleep and restorative rest as well as slowing mental processes for up to 24 hours after taking them.

For anaphylaxis, epi, the evidence for H1 blockade having any meaningful effect is pretty much none existent. But, if you are going to try it, a second generation is the better choice as they do not compromise mental status or blood pressure and lack the anticholinergic effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7607509/

Aleve for my back, Motrin for headaches. Lidocaine patches for when my back (sciatica) get really bad.
Aleve (naproxen) is an NSAID like ibuprofen, over a 24 hour period you should really pick one or the other and stick with it. Mixing the two is a recipe for problems, primarily by getting too much NSAIDs in your system. While acute toxicity takes massive doses, one could expect increased risk of GI and cardiovascular problems, to include bleeding, over time. As well as increased incidents of other NSAID adverse effects.

Tylenol is a different drug class, so it is safe taken in combination with an NSAID.

For long term use (such as chronic back pain), naproxen is a better choice than ibuprofen due to the difference in adverse effects.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
For sure. Unfortunately there’s a fair bit of bad information in this thread.
Agreed, its Tylenol that can be bad for the liver. Advil/Ibuprofen is bad for the stomach and intestines as well as kidneys.

I have to take a PPI with me like Priolsec in addition to those others ones noted. I usually take some tums too in case something I eat gives me heartburn. I also take my rescue inhaler - for me, but also for anyone else that might end up needing it for some odd reason.

woodswise

FNG
Aspercreme, over the counter topical creme. Little to no scent. Non greasy. Rub it into your joints and muscles when needed. Follow the directions. Works quickly.