What packs are all you gram weenies using?

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside peregrine. It can handle a five day minimalist early season hunt no problem. For late season, or longer hunts I use the same frame but switch bags to a 6300.

Doddse1

FNG
Has anyone in this thread experimented with building their own pack on a frame they already own? Like a SG krux evo or kifaru frame? There may be another thread for this. But I’m considering building my own bag out of some different lighter weight material other than 500d.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone in this thread experimented with building their own pack on a frame they already own? Like a SG krux evo or kifaru frame? There may be another thread for this. But I’m considering building my own bag out of some different lighter weight material other than 500d.

I haven’t but that’s what I like about the kuiu ultra or LT (as it’s called now) it’s made from a lighter 330d? That makes a noticeable difference. Sure it will wear faster but for a specific need it makes sense.

I built a bag on a kifaru frame, bag weighs like 16 ounces I think from Xpac v50 if I remember correctly. I think my compacity is somewhere around 50 literS. Mine is pretty simple, and there’s a few things I wish I had done differently but it does the job. It just attaches via compression straps and G hooks. A sleeve for the frame like kifaru uses would be a little better, but at the time I was keeping it as simple as possible. It honestly works more like a dry bag or the HPG pack bags with integrated straps.

Last edited:

Doddse1

FNG
I built a bag on a kifaru frame, bag weighs like 16 ounces I think from Xpac v50 if I remember correctly. I think my compacity is somewhere around 50 literS. Mine is pretty simple, and there’s a few things I wish I had done differently but it does the job. It just attaches via compression straps and G hooks. A sleeve for the frame like kifaru uses would be a little better, but at the time I was keeping it as simple as possible. It honestly works more like a dry bag or the HPG pack bags with integrated straps.

Did you sew it all yourself or have a sew shop do it? I wanted to use some more resistant lighter material that dynema from rip stop by the roll and make it a little more that just a dry bag. But I have zero experience with sewing so I have to practice first. How much material did you use to make it around 50 liters?

Clarktar

WKR
Seekoutside external with a 7400 CU bag in the Ultra PE fabric.

4278e4cae751c0831fd3c3245324cc74.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Did you sew it all yourself or have a sew shop do it? I wanted to use some more resistant lighter material that dynema from rip stop by the roll and make it a little more that just a dry bag. But I have zero experience with sewing so I have to practice first. How much material did you use to make it around 50 liters?

I made it myself. Of everything I have sewn that project was honestly one of the easiest. The xpac holds it shape super well and you can fold it like paper so it’s kind of like sewing a bunch of pieces of card stock together. I used binder clips to hold stuff together and then went from there. I used exactly 1 1/2 yard for my pack, but if I had it to do over again I would’ve made my roll top collar a bit longer (4”-6”) which would’ve given me around 2 yards or so. Some extra fabric would've also given me more room for seam allowance and rolled hems for drawstrings and stuff. I can upload pictures and my rough drawings if you are interested. It’s pretty rudimentary but does what I need. I’ll have to look at my rough calculations for volume again but I think it was about 50 liters including external pockets. I figured I can always add a lid or strap stuff to the bottom if I need more volume

Last edited:
I made it myself. Of everything I have sewn that project was honestly one of the easiest. The xpac holds it shape super well and you can honestly fold it like paper so it’s kind of like selling a bunch of pieces card stock together. I used binder clips to hold stuff together and then went from there. I used exactly 1 1/2 yard for my pack, but if I had it to do over again I would’ve made my roll top collar a bit longer (4”-6”) which would’ve given me around 2 yards or so. I can upload pictures and my rough drawings if you are interested. It’s pretty rudimentary but does what I need. I’ll have to look at my rough calculations for volume again but I think it was about 50 liters including external pockets. I figured I can always add a lid or strap stuff to the bottom if I need more volume
BED7D0F1-0F8C-45C6-A8F7-ECC6AB0244B2.jpegBD3860D3-35EF-4FD1-BC32-B72783114561.jpeg34685573-2654-4F46-9D5F-D501BC5C3AC7.jpeg
I have since switched the hardware to G hooks for ease and weight. In retrospect I probably should’ve done more tabs on the sides for more options for strap placement but wanted to keep it as light as possible. I’ll probably revisit the project and design at some point but it works great for now. I also got rid of the load lifter buckles and replaced with ladder locks

Last edited:

Doddse1

FNG
View attachment 442252View attachment 442253View attachment 442254
I have since switched the hardware to G hooks for ease and weight. In retrospect I probably should’ve done more tabs on the sides for more options for strap placement but wanted to keep it as light as possible. I’ll probably revisit the project and design at some point but it works great for now. I also got rid of the load lifter buckles and replaced with ladder locks

Bro that’s an awesome set up! I think I can definitely do something similar. I will add a couple more features. Like a waterproof 3/4 side zip. I’m looking at ordering the ultra 200 or 400. It will probably be louder but it’s supposed to be stronger than Dynema. Not sure about Xpac. I’ll probably pm you to run some other ideas by

Bro that’s an awesome set up! I think I can definitely do something similar. I will add a couple more features. Like a waterproof 3/4 side zip. I’m looking at ordering the ultra 200 or 400. It will probably be louder but it’s supposed to be stronger than Dynema. Not sure about Xpac. I’ll probably pm you to run some other ideas by

I think if thats what the SO packs are made from it should be significantly quieter than DCF and also quieter than xpac.

Trackselk

WKR
Hauling no more than 20 lbs: huge MLD (17 oz.) I love that thing!

Extremely comfortable up to about 25 lbs: osprey exos 58.

Hauling meat up to about 50 lbs: osprey aether 70.

Looking for ideas for a replacement for my MLD that is camo. Anyone know of a tall (for hauling rifle) 17 ounce camo pack? I even spray painted my MLD camo, but it didn't really look much different, and probably added an ounce. Still black basically...
-pretty quiet also, unlike Cuban fiber.

I cheat and have pack goats carry most everything, so I can run a crazy light pack.

Hauling no more than 20 lbs: huge MLD (17 oz.) I love that thing!

Extremely comfortable up to about 25 lbs: osprey exos 58.

Hauling meat up to about 50 lbs: osprey aether 70.

Looking for ideas for a replacement for my MLD that is camo. Anyone know of a tall (for hauling rifle) 17 ounce camo pack? I even spray painted my MLD camo, but it didn't really look much different, and probably added an ounce. Still black basically...
-pretty quiet also, unlike Cuban fiber.

I cheat and have pack goats carry most everything, so I can run a crazy light pack.
Been looking for something simmilar:

-Get a cottage maker to make you something in camo xpac from rbtr.

-ULA custom multicam pack

-Kuiu Venture (far from 17 oz, but the additional storage means less stuff sacks and pouches so the weight isn’t terrible). You can also loose the hip belt to shave some more weight, or just start cutting and probably loose a few additional ounces

Those are about the only options I know of unfortunately. As far as hitting your weight goal, I think cottage is your only option.

Last edited:
I’m curious how you did that, probably in a separate post to not derail this one.
Just swap out the sidelock buckles on the SG frame with the Kuiu buckles. Everything lined up pretty good, way lighter with more pockets than the SG bags. My buddy has the SG bag on his frame and constantly says he wishes he had just done mine, jealous of the pockets.

Trackselk

WKR
Been looking for something simmilar:

-Get a cottage maker to make you something in camo xpac from rbtr.

-ULA custom multicam pack

-Kuiu Venture (far from 17 oz, but the additional storage means less stuff sacks and pouches so the weight isn’t terrible). You can also loose the hip belt to shave some more weight, or just start cutting and probably loose a few additional ounces

Those are about the only options I know of unfortunately. As far as hitting your weight goal, I think cottage is your only option.
Thank you for the ULA lead! Looks like around 2 pounds(?) and no more worrying about my down gear getting wet, and comes in camo.