What percent of deer have shed this point?

Headed down to Southern Utah where I usually hunt. What percent of deer do you think have shed at this point? I'm heading down on Wednesday. I'd like to see some bucks on the winter range but guessing about 50% have shed already.

I’m central CA I did not see any shed bucks 2 days ago. They were still holding. Usually they are beginning to drop this time of year. My buddy on the coast saw about 1/2 of the bucks still holding which seems very very late compared to prior years…usually completely done and shed at this point.

All that to say, similar good moisture/feed situation here and southern Utah..I’d expect a later drop and deer still holding.

But very curious what you see vs my anecdotes and theories

Mule deer here in Southern Alberta do not shed until mid to end of March most years. I have seen lots of MD bucks in April with their antlers intact.

nphunter

WKR
Very few mule deer have dropped. I’d stay out of the woods and winter range and let them drop or they will be spread to hell and gone. Saw a half dozen bucks still packing Saturday, zero shed out bucks, normally ours start dropping early Jan and are almost down now. Defiantly a weird year, the also packed velvet a coupe weeks later, saw a few big bucks still fuzzy in mid Sept.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Very few mule deer have dropped. I’d stay out of the woods and winter range and let them drop or they will be spread to hell and gone. Saw a half dozen bucks still packing Saturday, zero shed out bucks, normally ours start dropping early Jan and are almost down now. Defiantly a weird year, the also packed velvet a coupe weeks later, saw a few big bucks still fuzzy in mid Sept.
I will not be leaving the road last thing I want to do is run them around especially on the unit that I hunt 😂. I'll just be glassing from the road.

I have seen quite a few bucks around northern Utah that are missing an antler.

jdoyle243

FNG
Headed down to Southern Utah where I usually hunt. What percent of deer do you think have shed at this point? I'm heading down on Wednesday. I'd like to see some bucks on the winter range but guessing about 50% have shed already.
Not sure if it is different for mule deer but here in Oregon the vast majority of blacktail bucks have already dropped. Lost of good browns laying around in the woods.

ColoradoV

WKR
Of the 30 or so bucks I see each day around my house one 2pt has shed 1 side..

We are late both growing out and shedding or it will be a month or so before most have shed here at 900ft in Central Co.

Saw medium sized 4 pt last Thursday with one antler in Central CO around 6800 ft. IME the bigger bucks shed first

ColoradoV

WKR
Man, you really do have honey hole don't you. :ROFLMAO:
Hahah yea usually I am adding a 0 not subtracting one 🤦🏼‍♂️.

Also man shoot me a message as the pics and bulls from this past year 🤌🤌…..

As far as deer 2 more dropped one side and the local kids are driving every am to jump out n grab em if they see em so I guess they are dropping around here now.