What Pistol?

IAHNTR

WKR
I am looking into getting a pistol that will be used for a sidearm when headed west, whitetails in Iowa (has to have 4" barrel) and to have around the house. I don't know too much about pistols so am asking you guys to help me in brand and caliber. My budget will be around 500$. Thanks

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Glock 20 or 29 (10mm), it will take care of most things short of grizzly. i think they are right around the $500 mark.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A hunting capable pistol is going to limit you to .357, .41 mag, .44 mag, or larger IMO. The $500 limit is going to severely limit your choices for top end revolvers in these calibers.

Personally I'd up my budget and be looking at the Smith 329 PD, a 44 mag that weighs about 26 oz empty. I actually bought a 327PD back when they were still available. It's an 8 shot 357 N frame that weighs 26 oz. Loaded with HOT Buffalo Bore ammo it isn't far behind a 44 mag.

I just found a 4" used Taurus 425 Titanium 41 mag on gunbroker for $750. It'd be a good option.

If you're stuck on $500 on the upper end then the ruger redhawk will be one of your only options. It's a good gun, but there are lighter (and more expensive) alternatives.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite back country pistol is my S&W 329 PD. It is a scandium frame ultra-light .44.

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
I just kinda throw out the 500 dollar budget, but I would spend up to 8-900 on something that I love and will have forever.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
+2 on the Glock 29 10mm. I have shot a few black bears with this pistol. It's light and packs a punch! Plus you get 10 rounds.

Lost Arra

FNG
You might shop around for a Ruger SP101 in .357.
I've got the 3" model but they make a 4" barrel in .357. It's not easy to find and it is closer to your budget than the 329 PD which is also a great pistol.

sodak

FNG
I have used several Ruger pistols (single and double action). If you get a trigger job done on them they always work. But a good Smith and Wesson in 41 or 44 mag is my favorite. For 500 bucks you should be able to find a single action in any chambering, but it would be used. Don't look past the 45 colt if you handload.

BuckSnort

WKR
I recommend you shoot both a revolver and an auto to see how you like them and what you prefer.. Some folks like one and not the other so it's a good idea to shoot both before you spend the cash...

7mag.

WKR
You might shop around for a Ruger SP101 in .357.
I've got the 3" model but they make a 4" barrel in .357. It's not easy to find and it is closer to your budget than the 329 PD which is also a great pistol.

I agree. The SP101 is a nice revolver, probably my favorite, for the money. They should run around $500-$600.

Lawnboi

WKR
I went with a glock. .45 cal. can have up to 12 rounds in the mag. My thinking is that id rather be able to take 12 well controlled shots with the glock rather than a few hail mary shots with a big caliber revolver.

Iv been considering getting a 10mm sub compact version of the glock for backpacking. My standard size is still pretty light though, and with 12 rounds theres not much id be scared to come up against.

hodgeman

WKR
Don't overlook the Super Blackhawk....4 5/8" barrel in .44 Mag will be the consummate outdoorsman's revolver. Should fit the budget and they're tougher than Chuck Norris.

dotman

WKR
I just picked up a Taurus 444 ultralite 44mag, this thing is awesome and talk about light weight at 28oz. Good luck finding a black one though, took me 6 months. I picked mine up new on sale for $563.

Also just an fyi... The Taurus can handle the 305gr bear loads that have been locking up the S&W 329 PD.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I went with a glock. .45 cal. can have up to 12 rounds in the mag. My thinking is that id rather be able to take 12 well controlled shots with the glock rather than a few hail mary shots with a big caliber revolver.

Iv been considering getting a 10mm sub compact version of the glock for backpacking. My standard size is still pretty light though, and with 12 rounds theres not much id be scared to come up against.

Might want to rethink what you would shoot the .45 at. The forest service has a great article they did on bullet performance, the minimum cal for bear is a .44 but they did note that the .41 bear loads were not out when testing was done and that it probably would work. Also best load on bear is solid lead, you want it to penatrate not expand and only go few inches in.

Last edited:

JG358

WKR
Don't overlook the Super Blackhawk....4 5/8" barrel in .44 Mag will be the consummate outdoorsman's revolver.

Or a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, they're a little more user friendly as far as recoil goes. As far a cal, I'm a 45 Colt fan :)

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
As a practical side, how much time have you spent shooting handguns? This is really important if you are expecting the need will arise to save your life or that of someone else. Most people wouldn't think of going after a grizzly or other dangerous game with their old 30-30 yet that firearm is superior to a .44 magnum pistol. In order for a pistol to be useful you have to be able to shoot it well under stressful, adrenaline charged conditions, at a fast moving target at close range. I would find a firearms dealer with a range that offers training or a local gun club. This will allow you to shoot the pistol you may be considering ahead of time and gain valuable experience. One of my instructors, and old army veteran, claimed that it takes 5000 repetitions before a movement becomes second nature. I would guess that is an average rather than a concrete rule but you get the idea. If this isn't something you can do then I would advise a large can of pepper spray as a defensive tool.

jamaro

FNG
Those are all pee shooters...
IMO people chase sexy with all those XD's and Glocks and all those 1911 Style Guns... If you are all about business then step up to the JUDGE

Taurus Judge shooting buckshot...

BuckSnort

WKR
Some of the sidearms mentioned are pretty heavy and bulky pieces... Yes bigger is better when facing danger but only if you have it with you at the time... I have a few large caliber powerful revolvers, because of their weight/bulk I left them at home often..Since I got my Glock 27 I take it everywhere...