What pockets are you running on your 44 Mag?

Oregonboy

WKR
Hello everyone,

i finally pulled the trigger on a new pack and I’m overwhelmed with options on how to set it up.

i mostly bow hunt the usual oregon critters (deer, bear, turkey, and elk), however I’ve been shooting more and more and will probably get a rifle tag or two next year.

I like the Sherman pocket but thought I may be better off with 2 large pockets on the back. I feel like the Sherman would act as a grab it with 2 pockets, which I like. I don’t know how much I would use the gun system as I have a gun bearer and really like that system.

How do you guys have your 44 mag set up? Pictures would be much appreciated.

thank you!

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Live in Alaska. Use the 44 mag through NOV. Sherman up top with Claymore at bottom. Sherman holds rain gear or extra mid-layer top and bottom, gaiters, gloves and hat, utility/med kit, steri-pen. Claymore at bottom holds Diamond Shaped Tarp from Seek Outside, kill kit, game bags, a few other odds and ends. Might seem like a lot. Lays out nicely, though, and keeps the side pockets on the 44 mag open for optics, tripod on one side and stove, cook gear and sleep pad on the other.

pc3

WKR
A sherman, medium belt pouch and the nalgene holder....I see the 44 Mag as a large day pack that you dont have to play tetrus with. I cant see the weight difference between say the 44 and the 22 mag being that different to warrant getting a 22 mag.

The 44 is there Malcolm in the middle pack........I suppose others would say its neither fish nor fowl.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
thanks for the replies! I picked up a Sherman pocket and have a few small pockets laying around. I’m gonna try the Sherman and a small pocket and see how that does.

pack is arriving on Tuesday, i feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

rhustek

FNG
Claymore in the middle, just below first fold at top of bag. Bottom is a grab-it since CO requires orange and I did not see a point in covering up a pocket.

I would run a large belt pouch instead of the claymore but the items I want to carry in that spot don't fit.

I am going to try and carry the rifle using the meat shelf, maybe using some spare straps. I use the gun bearer during the hunt but want to find a different method for hikes in and after kill. If that doesn't work I will probably put a small/medium belt pouch behind grab it and carry the rifle like my buddy does with his reckoning.

LionHead

WKR
I really like the blue force gear large/medium utility pockets. They are pricey but lay flat when empty and barely weigh anything. They fit on the "mag" bags like they were ment for it.

That being said i still used a Sherman for bow carry last season with BFG large below it. Worked out really well.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I almost always run the Sherman pocket, small belt pouch, and water bottle pocket. I'll add a Guide Lid for extended hunts when I need some more capacity. The Sherman is a great addition to the pack for smaller items you need quick access to or lash a jacket to the outside of the pack. I also found it to help compress the pack during day hunts.