What powder and bullets for disc extreme

I just purchased a knight disc extreme in a 50 cal and would like to pick some of your brains for some info. First I would like to know what bullets you guys would shoot through this? I am going to use it on moose and elk. Also what powder would you guys use? I could get some blackhofn for a crazy price of 75 bucks for a lb. Or I could get some triple 7 fairly easily. If you have other powder suggestions that would be great. And finally what sights would you use? I want something colorado legal. I think williams peep hole? Also plan to use it in New Mexico and would like to put a scope on, but take it on and off easily. Sorrg for the long post. Thanks for any help!

blkqi

WKR
Are you wanted a full bore or saboted projectile?

Blackhorn 209 at $75 per lb is robbery, I normally see it (when supply and demand are stable) about $35 per 10 oz.

If you want to be able to switch between scope and irons easily without losing zero (ideally) your best bet is to use a rear iron sight that mounts to a scope base. A couple of options are available, from NECG and XS Sight Systems.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I have a disc extreme. BH209 is best powder. I have the Williams Legend FP with a target knob for elevation. I backed out the elevation screw and gib screw a bit, so I can adjust the peep in a hunting situation. Williams told me to coat these screws with vibratite v3, so they won't move. You have to take a scope off to put a peep on and vicsa versa. Buy the Lehigh breech plug. I use Barnes Tmz 390 sabots and they work well. This gun operates like the mountaineer and the ultralite I own, so it's a backup. Search Sabotloader and Knight on this forum for a weath of knowledge. Read his recent post about shimming the breech plug. You may need to do that.

Elknutty

FNG
I also have a disc extreme and shoot 80grains of 777 ffg along with a “No Excuses” 465 grain bullet. These bullets are all lead and perform very well. I can shoot a 2-3 inch group at 100 yds open sights. The bullets are top notch. I believe they are coming out around 1300fps. More powder was not necessary. It led to more recoil and bigger groups.

OP
M
Thanks for the helpful responses guys! What about primers? What kind would you recommend and does anybody have any leads on where to find some?

Elknutty

FNG
I shoot musket caps that are made in Germany. I have never had a misfire with them. I picked them up at a local big box sporting goods store. Check the package and make sure you don’t buy any that say “For re-inactment use”. I like the musket caps over #11 caps mostly due to the size of them. They are easier for me to handle with my fingers.