What puffy are you guys using?

njonas126

FNG
After trying my first pair of PraNa Zion pants recently it really has me thinking about stepping away from hunting brands and taking a look at stuff from companies that are more mountaineering/backpacking focused. I’m in need of a new jacket after my kuiu puffy got caught on a down limb and ripped a big hole in the sleeve this last season so what would you guys recommend? I love the idea of the lost park parka but would like something lighter. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
No free lunch with puffys. I tried the ultra lights they do not have enough warmth for me. I am also leary of down in wet conditions. I have been using the LPP and I really like it. It is heavy but it's warm and a little more sturdy than others. It is also synthetic. It is not the best at anything but it is good at everything.

Patagonia just came out with a silent down collection that might be worth checking out. I have some of their pieces I've used climbing/mountaineering and loved them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I been using the Filson down featherweight since October. So far it been pretty sweet. 850fill and heavier then most outer shells. Weight it’s slight heavier then my OR and Sitka Kevin lite. That said it warmer and looks to be more durable as well. I am going to get through the rest of this winters hound season and maybe do a review on it.

Mt Al

WKR
I use the Simms Downstream hooded jacket with primaloft gold insulation. Crazy warm but in no way rugged. It's always under a Sitka shell unless I'm sitting/glassing. Also have a Cabela's puffy, no hood, for chores and not-so-cold days and it works great.

tlkaetz

WKR
Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody, Sitka Kelvin Down WS Hoody & Kifaru Lost Park Parka. I love my Feathered Friend Sleeping bag and am thinking about picking up one of their puffy jackets.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
Kifaru LPP gets used the most. When it's really cold I use it with a Uncompaghre vest under it.

Kuiu Kenai is the most breathable and I use it some early season.

The Uncompaghre vest is nice if I don't need a full jacket

I want to add a Chamberlain puffy for the long sits in real cold I currently use the LPP and vest for. I'd prefer it be water resistant down though so I've held off so far. I got the Kuiu Superdown Pro pants this fall and love them so I might try that jacket. I'm not sure it would be that much warmer than the LPP though.

I put this list of cold weather puffy insulation levels together from what people have said on forums and companies adds. I don't guarantee it's right but to my knowledge it is.

Chamberlin (11oz of untreated down)
Montbell Permafrost (9oz of down)
Sitka WS down (around 9oz of down synthetic mix)
Kuiu Superdown Pro (5oz of treated down)
Kifaru LPP (3.6oz synthetic) - same stuff as the 20 degree Slickbag, but the bag uses 2 layers and this uses one.