What puffy do you use under a fanatic jacket?

Diesel

WKR
Trying to put together the right combo for cold weather stand hunting primarily that can use pieces individually for other conditions. As I have gotten older my cold tolerance has lessened and am going to make some changes to stay out there in the game.

Is there a need for a puffy under a fanatic jacket when sitting in 20 degree conditions?
If you use a puffy, what is it?
Is there a puffy you would prefer over the one you are using now?

Appreciate any help from your own experiences.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a Cabeles synthetic down puffy vest to keep my arms free. I wear my normal size (medium) in the fanatic to maintain my ability to draw my bow. My current layering system is the above puffy vest, REI high loft fleece zip up and Cabeles Polar weight long underwear top. Under the bibs I wear the Polar weight bottoms, mountain pants and of course some heavy tall wool socks . I top it off With the Fanatic beanie. I have been down to 12 degrees and was as comfortable as I could ask for considering I could easily draw. I m a skinny guy with average to below average cold tolerance.

rich99

FNG
IMHO....the fanatic jacket is an extremely warm piece. If it gets cold enough to use it, i usually wear a Sitka 1/4 zip heavy T, with a stratus vest over that and then the fanatic. If super cold. the fanatic bibs go on and that essentially gives another partial layer for the core. Have not needed anything else.

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
IMHO....the fanatic jacket is an extremely warm piece. If it gets cold enough to use it, i usually wear a Sitka 1/4 zip heavy T, with a stratus vest over that and then the fanatic. If super cold. the fanatic bibs go on and that essentially gives another partial layer for the core. Have not needed anything else.

I was hoping to get this kind of response. It was my take away the the fanatic was a very warm piece and bibs would make it even more so. It can get pretty cold in rifle season here in northern Pennsylvania, Actually it is 18 degrees right now with 20 to 25 mph wind. So the heavy T and vest would be appropriate. Below 18 I would think a full puffy would be needed for me.

Thanks for all your info, I think I have a good idea of the parameters from your feedback. I wish the Fanatic Jacket did not have that funky diagonal zipper.

I'm a cold person by nature and use midweight merino base layer, heated vest, and a zip up fleece than my fanatic :ROFLMAO: the heated vest only gets turned on when I feel myself getting cold and its usually just on low to take the chill out. Best $100 I've ever spent.

rich99

FNG
I was hoping to get this kind of response. It was my take away the the fanatic was a very warm piece and bibs would make it even more so. It can get pretty cold in rifle season here in northern Pennsylvania, Actually it is 18 degrees right now with 20 to 25 mph wind. So the heavy T and vest would be appropriate. Below 18 I would think a full puffy would be needed for me.

Thanks for all your info, I think I have a good idea of the parameters from your feedback. I wish the Fanatic Jacket did not have that funky diagonal zipper.
I wasnt crazy about the diagonal zip either but since i have used it for awhile, i like it. Its a little awkward going on but then very convenient with the handwarmer. I just cant wear it around unzipped cause it hangs wierd. Good luck, i think you will enjoy it.

RAPTOR

WKR
I use the celcius midi too. That comes with me on every hunt because it packs so nice and is warm for what it is.

Having just got the fanatic jacket and using it the last few hunts, I LOVE it. I agree the diagonal zip is weird going on (jacket almost feels like it won't fit until you zip it) but the layout is awesome. The handwarmer is top notch, the pockets and obviously the warmth of it.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm a cold person by nature and use midweight merino base layer, heated vest, and a zip up fleece than my fanatic :ROFLMAO: the heated vest only gets turned on when I feel myself getting cold and its usually just on low to take the chill out. Best $100 I've ever spent.

+1 for the heated vest. Everything depends on what you are wearing over your entire body, and how long you are in the stand. I use the Sitka INCINERATOR jacket and Fanatic bibs and have sat all day for 2 years in a row in 20 degree, or less. Bottom to top - boots with hand warmers, layers under the bibs, and several layers under the jacket - including a FL puffy and a couple of heavy merino layers (200g full body suit and 600g top) - in addition to the Pnuma vest. But can't forget the Sitka incinerator muff, hat and gaiter - the last of which really locks in so much of the heat that would escape otherwise, even with the Incinerator jacket.