What rain gear for archery elk

What rain gear does everyone use for September elk season Colorado? I’ve heard of guys just carrying a large military poncho that will fit over them and frame pack, easy to pack. Does anyone carry separate pieces tops and bottoms. Are they packable and what weights are they. Anyone run cheap frog toggs? Best wishes

I use the cheapo Frog Toggs top in my pack for a light weight penalty.

Two caveats - I have a pair of better rain gear (Patagonia Torrentshell) that'll I'll bring if the forecast looks bad along with rain pants.

Even if the forecast is good I'll usually get hit a couple times in the mountains anyways. If it's a light drizzle I'll just keep hiking but if it's heavy I'll throw on the frog togg top and get under trees till it passes. The Frogg Toggs dont breathe at all and likely to tear if you hike hard in them.

Been using a Marmot Precip jacket for several seasons now with zero complaints. Only carried pants 1 time and never used them. Planning to try the Sitka Cloudburst next year. I hunt archery elk in Sept in CO for reference.

tracker12

WKR
I have been hunting Co since the early 80's and to be honest except for a couple years rain is sporadic. Any light weight rain gear recommended above will work.

crich

WKR
I pack a FL vapor stormlight jacket. Most guys will tell you that youll rarely use it during archery and I agree. Id rather be prepared so something light yet functional fits the bill.

I brought both Space Rain and cheap Frogg Toggs. Only put them on for an hour total and ended up just using the frogg toggs because they are half the weight. That was for day hunts. If I was bivy or spiking, I’d bring the nicer jacket.

I’m a tarp camper so we also pulled that over us in a hail storm. Where we were, we could find some big pines to dip under and get protection.

Felix40

WKR
I go against the grain on this a little bit. I like to keep hunting in the rain because that’s been one of the best times for me. There’s no way I’m hiding under a tree when I should be out hunting. I like my Kuiu ultra jacket and Chugach pants. Having a slightly heavier pant is nice because my experience has been that I’m most likely to tear them when sitting or walking through deadfall. I also painted the butt and knees with seam sealer since that’s where leaks come up the most.

Ive been on trips some years in sw Colorado where it rained and sleeted more than it was sunny. At least if I pack the rain gear in I have it. I can always leave one or both pieces in the tent for the day if it’s hot and sunny.

KUIU Chugach jacket. Scored a deal.

I don’t wear rain gear pants when hunting. Too noisy. My pants have some water resistance anyways.

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
I run the arcteryx zeta sl jacket and pants. Lightweight and so far have held up well. Got them both on sale.

Brendan

WKR
Put me in the camp of always having a good set of rain gear, good gaiters, and making sure my boots are waterproof before I leave. Despite a lot of years where this hasn't mattered, I got really really burned once on it in September archery. Had one of the cheaper UL backpacking rain shells that didn't work worth a damn, pants leaked, boots leaked.

I like Kuiu Chugach, currently have Sitka but don't have enough time in it to comment. Naturally, this year was pretty dry and I didn't wear rain gear the whole year.

j33

WKR
It's important to know, are you day hunting from truck OR are you packing in camp? Dayhunting can get away with very little rain protection but if you're out there a few days you're gonna wanna pack more than bare minimum.
This fall most days I didn't back anything, but was day hunting from the truck and it was so dry anyway. My bare minimum is frogg togs (6oz) or an Eddie Bauer Jacket (10oz) and just wait it out under a tree.