What rebarreling caliber for Kimber Montana?

I have a 280ai Montana I don't need. I have a Tikka 280ai custom coming, some day 🙄.

I really like the Montana stock so would not mind keeping it. have a suppressor on the way so I am considering an 18-20" rebarrel. I am going to build a 7 saum or 7 ss with a 20" tube to run suppressed. What short barrel caliber would compliment the short mag?

Or should I just sell the Montana and buy something else? Heck, I could sell it and buy a couple of Ruger Predators in .223, 6.5 and .308.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a pile of Kimbers, several I’ve rebarrelled. The 84L is my least favorite model, due to it’s tight magbox and ejection port.

In my .280 AI, I couldn’t even reach the lands with a 120 grain bullet and still fit in the mag.

Both 84Ls I’ve had still shot fine, but I couldn’t take advantage of loading sleek bullets long at all.

Just something to keep in mind.

A 6mm-06 throated correctly would be a great match for that platform IMO. My hunting/shooting buddy has one in a .25-06 AI and shoots light weight Barnes in it. Very accurate and very fast.

That being said, the Montana is far and away my favorite platform to build on. The stocks are great and fit me perfect.

OP
MuleyFever
I’ve had a pile of Kimbers, several I’ve rebarrelled. The 84L is my least favorite model, due to it’s tight magbox and ejection port.

In my .280 AI, I couldn’t even reach the lands with a 120 grain bullet and still fit in the mag.

Both 84Ls I’ve had still shot fine, but I couldn’t take advantage of loading sleek bullets long at all.

Just something to keep in mind.

A 6mm-06 throated correctly would be a great match for that platform IMO. My hunting/shooting buddy has one in a .25-06 AI and shoots light weight Barnes in it. Very accurate and very fast.

That being said, the Montana is far and away my favorite platform to build on. The stocks are great and fit me perfect.

Would a 6mm-06 or 25-06 work well with a 18-20" barrel?

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m a 25-06 fan. Never seen one with a short barrel like you’re wanting, but you could still get plenty of velocity to hunt with. Honestly it depends on what kind of hunting you do, or if this just a project to play with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would a 6mm-06 or 25-06 work well with a 18-20" barrel?
Im running a 6.5 saum in a 16" barrel, 144s at 2925 with RL26. This is below max and accuracy is impressive.
Its stupid quiet with my Banish 30 suppressor in the 9" configuration
If you aren't a handloader then I'd recommend getting a 6.5 prc and staying at or below 18"

WKR
Short barreled 30-06 at 18" does real fine. I'd think about a short barreled suppressed 6.5-284 as well.

OP
MuleyFever
What minimum barrel diameter do You need do 5/8 24 threads? I assume you need a little extra for a good shoulder to tighten the can up to as well?