What rife caliber for a 10 yr girl for elk

sro914

FNG
huge fan of the 7mm-08 for youth. I bought my son a remington 700 youth model some years ago. The recoil is pretty minimal but I added a mercury recoil reducer to the stock and now the gun is like shooting a 223. The thing I like about the 7mm-08 compared to the 6.5cm or 243 is that you can the best premium bullet selection for bonded, monolithic and well constructed bullets in a wide variety of weights. We shoot 139 hornady interlock and 120 barnes ttsx. both have performed very well for us on deer and elk. Right now a large concern would be what ammo is available for any rifle I buy or what components if you are a hand loader.

upacreek

FNG
I bought my similar aged son a 7mm-08. I got a Savage with adjustable-length stock so it fits him well. It's a dream to shoot and he shoots it really well. Quite a bit less recoil than my .270, particularly with low-recoil rounds. He's killed several deer with it and is lining up an elk hunt this fall.

AkRyan

WKR
I can’t speak for a 10 year old girl specifically, but just did this shopping for my girlfriend. Once we found a Camilla to hold nothing else was even close in fitting her. We ended up with a 6.5 because it’s what they had and quite a delay on a 7-08. I’d highly recommend based on what I’ve seen so far.
Camilla are amazing for woman. Mr. Weatherby built that rifle for his wife....Camilla Weatherby. The stock is specifically designed for woman.

AkRyan

WKR
For example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you talking base model or there better options? I've personally never felt a savage action I thought was smooth. Most people agree the 7-08 is one of the best choices for younger or smaller shooters that can also continue being used into adulthood. The 6.5cm is a great option also. I personally choose a tikka compact 7-08 for my daughter and she handles it great. All in I have $850 invested and she can use the rifle for the rest of her life. Not to mention tikka actions are baby butt smooth.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Some great advice so far. I’ll be in the same boat in a couple years, and have been giving this quite a bit of thought, as well.

... I’m not sure what you’re budget is, but I would highly recommend putting a suppressor on whatever you get her. They tame recoil nearly as well as a brake, and obviously cut noise, etc. significantly. This makes shooting fun, and reduces the likelihood of developing bad habits. (I’ve had several kids and women initially hesitant to shoot my 6.5 saum, but after they shoot that first round, they want to keep shooting).

.... as for the rifle and cartridge, (nothing wrong with a 7-08) personally, I’ll be getting my daughter in a tikka in 6.5 prc, cut down to 20” with a suppressor. This will run 140’s over 3,000 fps, be very manageable (both handling and shooting), and will allow her to grow in her abilities if she decides to take up long range plinking, etc, and will be a gun that she will use for life.

sextonds

FNG
I would go with 7mm-08 or even a 6.5 CM. I’d recommend a muzzle brake to keep the recoil down

Petersen

FNG
I see a lot of 7mm-08 rec's and you cannot go wrong with it. For my daughter's larger gun I put together a 280 remington and had a brake installed. The only reason I went with the 280 is because some of parts i had on hand were for a long action. If I had a short action parts on hand, I would have gone 7mm-08.

mojofly

FNG
Lots of good thoughts in here thanks for this one. I think I am going to go for a 6.5CM for a good all around for my son. His first hunt is next year and he is really excited. hopefully I can get some ammo so we can practice

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a dog in this fight but I will say that a .243 is a pretty underrated caliber. Possibly the greatest deer caliber for 300yds and under and the recoil is a gentle push. But you can’t go wrong with the other suggestions

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I think if you can keep the distance around 200yds I would trust a 243 for an elk. It’s so much better than a 30-30 which have killed lots of elk

Solheim

Lil-Rokslider
I have two daughters and I bought them both Tikka T3x compact in 6.5 creedmore both have killed white tails with one shot also had with on a cow elk hunt but never killed one.

AkRyan

WKR
Anything bigger than a 6.5cm. A prius can finish the Lemans race but is it the right choice??? We all can agree Elk are tough as hell right? Shoot a larger caliber with a muzzle break and take the worry out of hunting. If your kid wounds a animal and never finds it that might be just enough to make them not want to do it again.

2KWS

FNG
Good day .So my daughter is 13 now and started shooting 2 yrs ago with a,22 250 not hunting with one as it is not legal here .I found the biggest thing for her was a rifle that fit . She did try shooting my 243 A bolt and what we found was the LOP was just to long for her and she couldnt hold the rifle properly . So the hunt was on for a,smaller rifle what we found was alot of the "youth"or compact modles only came with shorter barrels 20 ".the stock and LOP was still to long .She settled on a Browning Micro Midas with an adjustable LOP in a 6.5 CM and 129gr SST.She took her first muledeer at 220 yds and her first cow elk at 150 this past season .This little rifle is a hoot to shoot and she handles and shoots it so well it will be around for years .Have good day 20211126_164842.jpg

Attachments

• 20220105_083739.jpg
    20220105_083739.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 30

cem3434

FNG
I would suggest a Ruger American compact in 7mm-08 and add a muzzlebrake. Dial it in with 140 to 160 grain ammo (depending on if you load or will be using factory ammo) and your kiddo will be set. This is all the gun you will need and your kid can ethically kill an elk with this setup. This is the same setup I have for my kiddos and they can shoot it comfortably as the setup is pretty light and recoil in negligible with the brake.