What rifle to cut down to approx 18” and thread for suppressor?

What rifle would you recommend (between $600-$1500) to buy, cut barrel down to approx 18” to run a harvester suppressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
308, larger diameter projectiles are less effected by short barrels. 7mm-08 is a nice round though, and I really want a rifle chambered in it.

I have a Kimber and like it. Tikkas have better aftermarket support. A Winchester M70 featherweight stainless can be picked up from Midway in 308 for under $1000.

If I remember right, the Kimber has the best twist rate for running heavy subsonic loads out of those three.

Shraggs

WKR
308, larger diameter projectiles are less effected by short barrels. 7mm-08 is a nice round though, and I really want a rifle chambered in it.

I have a Kimber and like it. Tikkas have better aftermarket support. A Winchester M70 featherweight stainless can be picked up from Midway in 308 for under $1000.

If I remember right, the Kimber has the best twist rate for running heavy subsonic loads out of those three.
I agree with this. Smaller suffer less than larger.

18” I’d go 358 win or 338 federal

Shraggs

WKR
I have not, yet, gotten into the suppressors I want. So I couldn’t comment on that, but I bet it would be.

the suppressor would for me be secondary choice to what performance floor I would want for a short barrel.

Having a few levers, they are handy handling with short barrels hate a woods or timber reference as in limited range)

I feel, a lever is in asset in handling, second shots unless prone.

To me to have greatest range and lethality from a short barrel go mid bore as your not giving up anything from existing performance. At least for 358, maybe a little loss for 338 fed. Otherwise take a 7 mag not a 7-08 and go way overbore!

7-08 awesome cartridge to me, but to get that handling comes with such a penalty, less so with 308.

browning BLR is not a budget rig, so I would or will spend more for an appropriate suppressor.

If I recall some of Patrick smith’s writing in hunting and killing lots if stuff during his rambling days - his caliber of choice was 358 win, but in a skinny lite weight bolt rifle.

ericwh

WKR
The problem I saw with those is the rifle suppressors in larger caliber cost more. Maybe a handgun suppressor would work?

If it lasted and didn't blow up, it would not be as effective. The difference in volume and pressure of gas involved lends itself to different designs for handguns and rifles.

You could build a very effective form1 for larger calibers, with premium materials, for less money than a premium commercial .308 can. And you'd get your stamp quicker.

If it lasted and didn't blow up, it would not be as effective. The difference in volume and pressure of gas involved lends itself to different designs for handguns and rifles.

You could build a very effective form1 for larger calibers, with premium materials, for less money than a premium commercial .308 can. And you'd get your stamp quicker.
I have heard of making suppressor s , is there a place to learn the process? I like medium bores- have a 35 whelen, and a 9.3x62. Can’t find a suppressor to fit.

ericwh

WKR
I have heard of making suppressor s , is there a place to learn the process? I like medium bores- have a 35 whelen, and a 9.3x62. Can’t find a suppressor to fit.

I built one with a 1.625" OD x 7.5" long Titanium tube, titanium adapter and end caps, and heat-treated 17-4 stainless steel cones, for about $500.

My form1 was delayed and took ~4months, but most are taking about a month.

You can buy the components but they cannot have a hole in them until your form1 is approved. You basically decide on your dimensions, layout your cone spacing, trim the skirts on your cones (or cut spacers to length if you have skirtless cones) to achieve spacing, and, after your tax stamp is approved, drill holes in the cones and end cap. And get something on it engraved with your tax stamp info.

I built one with a 1.625" OD x 7.5" long Titanium tube, titanium adapter and end caps, and heat-treated 17-4 stainless steel cones, for about $500.

My form1 was delayed and took ~4months, but most are taking about a month.

You can buy the components but they cannot have a hole in them until your form1 is approved. You basically decide on your dimensions, layout your cone spacing, trim the skirts on your cones (or cut spacers to length if you have skirtless cones) to achieve spacing, and, after your tax stamp is approved, drill holes in the cones and end cap. And get something on it engraved with your tax stamp info.
Thanks for the info, I haven’t registered on that forum yet. How technical is the work? Any special tools needed?

ericwh

WKR
Titanium spacers can be cut with a large tubing cutter available at lowe's or home depot and then cleaned up with a sanding block. I'm not sure if skirted 17-4 cones could be cut with a tubing cutter. Probably if you took your time - they are very thin.

Drilling can be done with a drill press.

If you choose to clip your baffles (recommended and supposedly yields a metered dB drop; I didn't really notice a difference with my ears) you can do that with an end mill bit in a drill press and some wooden fixturing (what I did).

Engraving can be done DIY or by a professional for ~$50.

JoeDirt

WKR
I put a 17" barrel on my 6.5 Creedmoor. You can get pre fit barrels pretty cheap. I think mine was under $400 shipped. I bought a vice to swap barrels last year so my install was cheap.

A factory sporter barrel might not have enough meat to thread 5/8-24

1604601147788.png

The problem I saw with those is the rifle suppressors in larger caliber cost more. Maybe a handgun suppressor would work?
The Omega 36M would be perfect for a 338F or 358W. Rated up to 338 Lapua and these guys fired 375 Ruger though it, though it is not recommended by the manufacturer.

Last edited:

sram9102

WKR
I had a tikka in 6.5 cut down to 20 and threaded 9/16x24. I don't believe there was enough meat on the factory barrel to get enough shoulder for a suppressor or an adapter at 5/8 without getting into sbr territory. You may be able to thread it 1/2x28 or 9/16/24 and get a shouldered adapter to 5/8x24.