What rings, or rings and rail for tikka-nightforce

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Guys,

I currently run a 300 wm tikka super light w talleys and a 14x vx3i cds. I’m ordering a nsx 5.5-22x50 to have the piece of mind of a bulletproof scope and reliable dialing turrets. A lot of $ is invested in hunting trips out west and in 2 years Alaska. I feel it’s worth the extra $ to have a scope I have 100% confidence in.
That being said I don’t shoot extreme long ranges, but do have access to where I can shoot to about 550 yards. I would love to get this gun set up to confidently do that on the range and possibly hunting as well in the rt conditions.

Looks like I have couple ways I could mount:
- Direct mount like the tally or Hawkins hybrids (which look pretty beefy)
- Mount a rail and set of quality rings

I like the idea of a rail and rings like the nightforce w a single mount screw. Seems like I could easily take off the scope and put on another rifle w same rail if wanted/needed to very quickly (Seen others doing this is what gave me the idea). I’d like to keep the scope as low as possible, to avoid having to add something to get decent cheak weld. At end of the day I want something rock solid, that takes full advantage of the scopes reliability. What is everyone’s thoughts and opinions on brands and heights?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback

Sportsmatch rings were good, but they ended up making my scope too low and the empty brass hit the windage knob and would send the spent brass back into the gun. That was with two different scopes. Seems like it’s an issue with magnum cartridges.
I ordered a Mountain Tactical rail and Seekins low rings. Hope that gets it just high enough to clear the windage knob. The rail gets here Monday so we’ll see. The Mtn Tactical rail has a recoil lug, which makes it pretty solid in my opinion.
Sportsmatch rings are pretty popular on here, and a solid option I thought worked great, just beware of the issues with brass hitting the windage knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the sports match rings myself. If I was going to buy a rail I’d get another area 419, I only got rid of it because it made my scope too high with the NF ultralight low tings.

mid you want some 30mm talley lows for your tikka, PM me, I’ll give you a great price on them since I’m not using them.

cdowell

FNG
I have tally's on my 300WM. Use thread lock and lap the scope rings and its a bulletproof setup. I did mine 3 years ago and have not had to touch that scope since.

Well, I just got the MT rail and mounted it with Seekins low rings. Spent brass is still hitting the windage knob. If I mount the scope as far forward as possible it ejects the brass and not sending it back into the ejection port, so at least there’s that.
I might see about having a smith mill the port larger or work on the ejector to not have the brass fly so much up, and more horizontal. Frustrating.
But the MT rail is well made and a nice piece. Probably keeping it, just need to see if a smith can tweak the ejector.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
free,

Have you tried removing the windage turret and seeing if it still does it? Most that I have seen when they do it (all LA), the cases are hitting the knurled part if the knob.

free,

Have you tried removing the windage turret and seeing if it still does it? Most that I have seen when they do it (all LA), the cases are hitting the knurled part if the knob.

When I had the SWFA 3-9 on it, when I removed the windage knob it cleared no problem. I’m assuming with this LRTS I just got it would also work fine if I removed the windage knob. I can see where it’s hitting clear as day as it scratches the paint just a little.

ce332bb52e6ae10ce19f2cd9e1684abe.jpg

Yep.

I’d send the knobs to Shaen rifles and let him mill them down.

Thanks again Form! Messaged Shaen and he sent me pics of some of the knobs he’s turned down. Excellent work and very reasonable prices.
I tested the scope without the windage cap and brass ejected no problem, so I think having the knob turned down by Shaen will fix it. So far I’m liking the LRTS. Would have likely just kept the SWFA 3-9 had I known this was still going to be an issue with the LRTS, but overall I prefer the LRTS just a touch more. Although the 3-9 really does make an excellent hunting scope.

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If anyone needs help with ring height or selection let me know.

The Long Range Hybrids are direct mount, very solid (we've run them on 300RUM, etc.) and the Ultra-Light Tactical line is a good solution for if you'd like to run a pic rail. I have some weights below too. Normally a SA aluminium pic rail is about 2oz. Give or take.

Long Range Hybrid Rings with level - 3.47 oz (30 mm/low)
Ultralight Tactical Rings with level - 3.88 oz (35 mm/low)

I've had great luck with Sportsmatch rings and LRHS scopes on several Tikkas.

The OP has a 300 wm, I’m almost positive he will have the same issues as I did with brass hitting the windage knob, not to mention the Sportsmatch T084 won’t work with his 50mm Nightforce he’s getting.

Maybe the T3X won’t have the same issue I experienced as mine is a T3. Either way, since your going with such a big scope I’d say MT rail and Seekins lows will work best.