What round for bou?

OXN939

WKR
Different strokes for different folks, I think stainless is ugly. I took a blued rem 700 30/06 fell in a river had rain and snow off and on for 12 days. It still shot a Caribou and the rifle didn't crumble into a rust pile when it was done either.
5a0d330ea7259ac11214b674be05fc08.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Agreed on the "different strokes for different folks" part. My buddy's rifle didn't crumble into a rust pile either, but the value of his rifle is less after that trip than it was before because the blued finish rusted. The only difference with my stainless rifle is that it has one more round through it. All personal preference.

Stalker69

WKR
We spent some time in the Northwest Territories, and the Inuits used 22-250 s. Never seen one need more then one shot. Always had fresh camp meat. Don’t remember what bullets they used, but I imagine it was what ever they could get.

Ono

FNG
Different strokes for different folks, I think stainless is ugly. I took a blued rem 700 30/06 fell in a river had rain and snow off and on for 12 days. It still shot a Caribou and the rifle didn't crumble into a rust pile when it was done either.
5a0d330ea7259ac11214b674be05fc08.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Might be ugly, but spend a week hunting in the rain in the pnw and you might choose functionality over looks.

Our camp had a 7mm, 300, 30/06, and 270. All took bulls.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I have taken many-many caribou over the last 34 years. The Rem Model 7 Stainless in 260 would be close to an ultimate choice for me. Through in some 140 grain Partitions for grizz defense and done! I have found the bullet action of good 120 grain bullets in 6.5 to be ideal on thin skinned caribou.

Stainless is the only way to go when on foot and a multi day trip in the back country. Time is a premium and not having to baby your rifle is a must.

Here is a video essay I did on this very topic! I didnt get into stainless vs blued, but go stainless!

Last edited:

CGA

FNG
Just bought a stainless Tikka in 300 WM for 2021 hunt. (Already had a Rem 700 in 264 WM, but used the planned trip as an excuse to buy a new rifle.) Can't wait to go...

VernAK

WKR
I have taken many-many caribou over the last 34 years. The Rem Model 7 Ti in 260 would be close to an ultimate choice for me. Through in some 140 grain Partitions for grizz defense and done! I have found the bullet action of good 120 grain bullets in 6.5 to be ideal on thin skinned caribou.

Stainless is the only way to go when on foot and a multi day trip in the back country. Time is a premium and not having to baby your rifle is a must.

Here is a video essay I did on this very topic! I didnt get into stainless vs blued, but go stainless!

Greg's the man!

I hope he can retire soon as he has loads of country to hunt and explore.

OXN939

WKR
Not to go too far down a rabbit hole, but there seems to be a lot of talk on this thread about selecting a rifle that is suitable for both Caribou and bear defense. I would submit that trying to cover both bases with one firearm may not be the best idea. If you disagree, try a range day where you put as many rounds as you can accurately into a target moving 20-25 miles an hour while point shooting at a range much closer than your optics will be effective with a bolt action rifle in under 5 seconds. My personal opinion would be that a pistol or bear spray is a much better option for this scenario. Most grizz encounters happen in less-than-otpimal locations, such as thick brush or at night around a camp, neither of which is a good place to be fumbling with trying to point shoot what may well be effectively a single shot rifle. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

EastMT

WKR
I have taken many-many caribou over the last 34 years. The Rem Model 7 Ti in 260 would be close to an ultimate choice for me. Through in some 140 grain Partitions for grizz defense and done! I have found the bullet action of good 120 grain bullets in 6.5 to be ideal on thin skinned caribou.

This is the exact cartridge and load I made up for my wife this year, stellar performance on her caribou. 140 PT is hard to beat for light recoil and tough “just in case” bullet in bear country

Not to go too far down a rabbit hole, but there seems to be a lot of talk on this thread about selecting a rifle that is suitable for both Caribou and bear defense. I would submit that trying to cover both bases with one firearm may not be the best idea. If you disagree, try a range day where you put as many rounds as you can accurately into a target moving 20-25 miles an hour while point shooting at a range much closer than your optics will be effective with a bolt action rifle in under 5 seconds. My personal opinion would be that a pistol or bear spray is a much better option for this scenario. Most grizz encounters happen in less-than-otpimal locations, such as thick brush or at night around a camp, neither of which is a good place to be fumbling with trying to point shoot what may well be effectively a single shot rifle. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Bear spray can be tough to fly with in Alaska, so when often effective on camp bears, it's not always an option.

And having argued with brown, grizz and black bears over carcasses and camps, I can and do take a rifle or 12 ga over a handgun. And yes, I've done multiple range days shooting at those "charging bear" targets. Shot a few of those real bears too for that matter.

But I also don't sweat the caliber thing for bears when I'm hunting other things. Remember that non-residents can't shoot grizzly without a guide, and state law doesn't extend "defense of life and property" to game meat. For the average NR hunter without a grizz tag, your one and only option is usually to back off.

Worry about the rest of the logistics. Take whichever gun makes you happy. The caribou won't know the difference. Virtually everything else about the trip will be more important.

Squamch

WKR
Anything you feel like shooting them with. Few caribou get dropped every year with .223 out of a AR-15. Your overthinking it, pick the rifle you like the best. Though if your using this an excuse to buy another rifle, whatever caliber you want.

Exactly. The Inuit use .303s, .222, .223, and other "low power" or "varmint" cartridges.
They're just funky lookin deer.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Greg's the man!

I hope he can retire soon as he has loads of country to hunt and explore.
As an aside..I am in preretirement using my holiday and sick leave as I ride off into the sunset officially on August 22, but I no longer have to go to work. Best job I have ever had. Selling a bunch of guns to buy a Fierce Fury Carbon in 300 Win Mag. 6 3/4 pounds with another pound and a bit for scope and rings. I don't mind shooting out to 500 yards and at that range a bit more horsepower is helpful. It could still be done though with a medium cased 6.5. I have a 6.5 Rem Mag that has about 40 one shot kills on caribou. It's kind of a magic rifle for me. The 6.5 PRC is very similar, I think that 6,5 Rem was ahead of it's time.

I lived in Nunavut for 9 years and went down the 223, 22-250 route for a couple of years. The 223 ran out of gas past 150 yards but the 22-250 fast twist with heavy bullets was every bit as good (or bad) as a .243 out to 300 yards. Funny thing is that I never saw a bullet "blow up" with 55 grain or over soft-points. Always penetrated both lungs but I never hit the shoulder (ever). I notice the Heimo Korth uses the 22-250 and factory ammo for caribou and even moose. When you place the bullet exactly where you want to you don't need much cartridge. I think 6.5 might be the caribou sweet spot between too much and too little and the easy bullet placement has helped to create the conditions for the "magic".

As for bear defense, Spray can be effective but not so much in a bad wind which happens all the time. I'd hate to rely on a pistol even if it was legal to carry here. I keep my scope power down a bit have a 1.5-8X Razor on my Forbes 24B 30-06 and the 300 Win Mag will be wearing a 2-10X Razor. Another great scope I can vouch for is the Leupold 2.5-8x36. Being able to dial down to a 50 foot or greater field of view turns your sheep rifle into a potential life saver in a bad situation. Why not?

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
Worry about the rest of the logistics. Take whichever gun makes you happy. The caribou won't know the difference. Virtually everything else about the trip will be more important.

+1...I personally would worry a while lot more about "what rain gear is the best" and "do I have good boots" versus the whole pistol v. bear spray thing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For me, stainless or not isn’t a discussion, if it’s not stainless, I don’t buy it, ceracoat dosent count. Stainless or it’s a no go. I had one ceracoat rifle and had a bad experience, not worth it IMO.

2 weekends ago we got caribou, I used a kimber 308 with no issues, my buddy had a 270 which also worked just fine. I also carry a Glock 20 pretty much all the time (I have 3 of them) but I use the 220g hard casts form underwood or buffalo bore.

when weight isn’t an issue (boating etc) I have a Remington 870 marine magnum that goes along to deal with bears, other than that, it’s just whatever rifle I have as well as my g20. Now if I’m hunting moose and have my 375 with me, I usually don’t bring a pistol.

It's funny how many different choices you have. I get this question from almost all of my clients. Use the gun you are most comfortable with. The truth lies in how well does your favorite rife shoot at longer distances? At close quarters you could throw a rock and be successful but what about at 225 yards? how about 325 yards? The ability to reach out and ouch someone at longer distances is the key. in my family my daughter uses a .243 but she just picked up a 300 win mag and my son uses my old .308 which is also a fine moose and Griz gun but the .308 is a flat shooting gun. My choice is my .270 but I also like my 7x57. The common link with all these calibers is how well the shoot over 300 yards.

I think this thread really should diverge a bit and ask the question what optics are you using on your gun? For my it your glass that give you the ability to shoot those longer distances. Invest in your glass and you can take just about any caliber and it's go time. I have almost 100% Zeiss glass on all my weapons. The exception is the 300 win mag has a Vortex and the .243 has a Luepold.

Pay the extra and invest in your glass for Alaska hunting. Its wide open country up here boys, good glass is an investment in the success of your next hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
JonS

JonS

WKR
I’ve got good glass, my 300wm is blued, recently acquired a 6.5 creedmoor that’s stainless, have a .308 that’s stainless and a handy little .260 rem model 7 that’s also stainless.
Model 7 wears the 2.5-8x36 leupy, 300wm and 308 wear a bushy lrhs 4.5-18 and lrts 4-12 respectively. They’ve all done well on game and I expect them to continue if I do my part.

May put a 4-12 bushy or a 2.5-8x36 on the 6.5, will see which one looks better and gets the cheek weld I’m after.
Was thinking the 300wm for bear concerns, but may be carrying alternatives as well.
Need to find some loads for my 6.5, it may get the nod after some wringing out over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

MikeD2003

FNG
Im taking my son will be 15 to go on a caribou float trip next year. Wondering suggestions on caliber of rifle to use. I was planning on taking my bow but I wanted to get something for him that didn't have a lot of recoil but gets the job done. Suggestions?

AKBorn

WKR
This is why I've always shied away from the 6x14 power scopes and similar. I have a Leupold 2x - 8x on my stainless Ruger Model 77 in .338 WinMag, and I always have the scope on 2x until it's time to shoot a moose or bou. I do point and shoot practice at the rifle range, just have to tell the RSO what I'm doing before I get started, so he doesn't think I'm an idiot who is gonna shoot somebody...

Back to the OP's question....lots of good cartridges for caribou, .338 WinMag isn't the optimal cartridge. I carry my .338 in Alaska because I only have 2 hunting rifles for large game - my .338 and my .30-06 - and my .338 just fits me better, and feels better, than any firearm I have ever owned. It's the only rifle I have that I sometime take out of its case in the house, and shoulder it several times, just because it feels right.

Carry what you like and can shoot well, and don't overthink it. Odds are you have a higher chance of trouble on your drive to the airport, than anywhere else on your trip...

Nontyp

FNG
Take the stainless. I shot mine with my Tika 6.5 this year. It was blued but after much rain and even with me wiping it off every day with an oil rag it got some rust on it. Had it cerakoted when I got home.

PA Hunter

WKR
It's funny how many different choices you have. I get this question from almost all of my clients. Use the gun you are most comfortable with. The truth lies in how well does your favorite rife shoot at longer distances? At close quarters you could throw a rock and be successful but what about at 225 yards? how about 325 yards? The ability to reach out and ouch someone at longer distances is the key. in my family my daughter uses a .243 but she just picked up a 300 win mag and my son uses my old .308 which is also a fine moose and Griz gun but the .308 is a flat shooting gun. My choice is my .270 but I also like my 7x57. The common link with all these calibers is how well the shoot over 300 yards.

I think this thread really should diverge a bit and ask the question what optics are you using on your gun? For my it your glass that give you the ability to shoot those longer distances. Invest in your glass and you can take just about any caliber and it's go time. I have almost 100% Zeiss glass on all my weapons. The exception is the 300 win mag has a Vortex and the .243 has a Luepold.

Pay the extra and invest in your glass for Alaska hunting. Its wide open country up here boys, good glass is an investment in the success of your next hunt.
Love my 4-16 DIAVARI !

OP
JonS

JonS

WKR
Funny this got a recent bump and info. I recently was able to acquire a Great Gentleman's .270 put together in Pleasanton, TX
Stainless shilen barrel I believe and a stainless Rem action. Weighs 5lb 13.75 oz with an older leupy 2.5-8 x36 vxiii with a boone and crockett reticle.
Going to shoot it this weekend and may put a swaro z3 3-10 with the brh reticle on it.
I sold my 6.5 tikka here a few weeks ago as it was redundant and kept the .260 model 7 and the .308 and 300 win tikkas. The .308 may be for sale as well as I have another heavy barrel .308 and with the new Rifles Inc, may not need more than that for everything.
Looking forward to meeting Walt and having a blast with great friends!