What scale do you prefer

Chubscout

FNG
I’ve been comparing scales (hornady- rcbs) and I’ve been getting between.2-.5 grains difference +- in loads. What scale do you guys run/prefer

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Hornady GS-1500 scale. I would say it is accurate down to .2 grains. Not the .1 grain as advertised. Now I will say it is much more convenient and quick than a beam scale. I weigh each charge and it seems to work for me. I have found it is best to work fast so the scale doesn't shut off on it's own, thus keeping it warm. If I were you I would buy a scale with and AC adapter so you can allow it to warm up and stay warm. The boards and case of an electronic scale need to expand/contract too provide accurate results.

Jkling12

FNG
I’ve been running a chargemaster with great results. I check about every 3-4 charges on my beam scale and it’s always spot on. One of the keys to a digital scale is keeping it warmed up. I like to turn it on 20 minutes before loading and leave it on until I’m done.

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Im weird. If im gunna be checking a digital all the time i just use a ol 505.

I wouldnt mind a charge master

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use a Chargemaster. I got tired of the inconsistency and painfully slowness of a beam scale. I won't ever go back to a beam scale.

OP
Chubscout

Chubscout

FNG
I just purchased a chargemaster last weekend. I’ve heard they are accurate, I mostly just want to be able to load faster. But my rum is 2 grains over max and I want to make sure I’m not going anything over that.

I was curious and this winter started using 3 scales. RCBS 505, old Redding harmonic dampened with oil and a paddle, and a cheap $30 yosoob jewelers scale that was recomamended on another forum. I throw a charge and trickle up on the 505 then pour that into the electronic while I throw another and get it balancing. If the electronic confirms I pour into the Redding which also must confirm before the powder goes into the brass. Seems tedious in description but maybe adds 5 minutes total to a loading session of 50 or so rounds. Really gives me confidence in my charges and I do find probably 1 in 8-10 that the 505 is off. Generally the Redding and electronic scale agree. If this trend continues I may think about trickling into the Redding I’m just not sure how well it would work with the dampener.

With this system I am absolutely confident my charges are as identical as they can be down to a single powder kernel.

My groups and long range shooting have improved also

The older Ohaus scales were the better beam scales. Gotta keep them clean. Over time the beam blades become dull and affect accuracy. Still have my dads old 505 and a 1010 I picked up some time ago.

When I started reloading I bought what I could afford.....Hornady. In time I’ve had several equipment failures from Hornady. Out of spec dies, more Lock N Load parts failures. When the baseplate quit ejecting, I called Hornady yet again. The CS rep suggested I reloaded too much for that press. Bought the baseplate and sent the whole thing to a friend. Had the Hornady powder charger. Fought that thing for a while too. I’ve had several Hornady issues, But I digress.

I’ve been using a chargemaster for a while now and have been happy with it. It gets within plus minus 0.1gr which is fine for me. A friend of mine has a multiple thousand dollar dispenser that weighs to 0.02gr for his benchrest endeavors. 1/2 MOA is fine by me for my needs.

Gorp2007

WKR
I run a chargemaster, but before I start I'll sort out a set of check weights at the same or close to my powder charge and use those to periodically test the scale as I'm reloading. Keeps me from trying to dump powder onto a beam scale and messing with that set-up. Like others said, I also turn my scale on well ahead of time to make sure it's nice and settled before I start reloading.

Mosby

WKR
I have used a PACT powder scale for the last 25 years or so. Never had any problems with it.

yet "another" repeat thread …. Scott Parker 661-364-1199

He "tunes" a balance beam scale to work like no other - he usually has several already tuned and ready to ship - balance beam for me - after tinkering, fighting, fidgeting, realizing things like fluorescent lights were messing with the digitals I gave up on them - I found Scott and bought one of his recommended balance beam scales, one of the best moves I've made as far as reloading goes

As with a lot of other things in life reloading is not about the "hurry ! hurry" crowd, it's about doing it consistently and safely for better loads, accuracy and overall experience …. the "journey"

Termite I

FNG
I have a RCBS 1010 and an A&D FX120i with the auto throw / auto trickle. The A&D is quick, accurate and pricey but in my opinion worth every penny.