What scope for dialing or hold over?

I have been doing most my ML hunting with open sights the last while but am looking to get a .45 and put a scope on it. What would you guys trust for a scope to dial or one with a good hold over reticle that will handle the recoil?

nobody

WKR
I have been doing most my ML hunting with open sights the last while but am looking to get a .45 and put a scope on it. What would you guys trust for a scope to dial or one with a good hold over reticle that will handle the recoil?
This doesn't have anything to do with the Henry's deer tag does it? ;)

What distances are you hoping for? 500-ish? 300-ish?

A Zeiss V4 4-16 can be had for a reasonable price, I wanna say we have one for sale at Sportsman's for $800 or $900. Killer glass, and the 4-16 will be perfect for shooting further than you have the ability to with the muzzleloader.

We have one more paramount at the Heber Sportsman's too on clearance, if you wanna make a weekend trip to northern Utah I can stick it on hold with your name on it and you can get a great setup for less money.

I have a good one for that use in the classifieds right now. Tri-MOA reticle has hash marks at 1 MOA intervals so you can work out your load then just hold over to whichever mark corresponds to your distance.

on my ML I have a 2-7x33 Leupold with the LR duplex reticle. But those are getting very hard to find.

OP
MuleyFever
This doesn't have anything to do with the Henry's deer tag does it? ;)
Absolutely, going to be a long 4 months.

I want to extend my effective range as best I can. 400 would be great. I dont think I would be comfortable much past that. Of coarse I need to get to the range and practice and verify.

The Sportsmans here has a Paramount and a Pro model but the Pro had a Vortex on it and they said they wont sell it without it. I am still on the fence on the rifle. The CVA looks good and using 140-150gr of BH209 would be great for ballistics. The Knight UL is a lot lighter for carry but I would be limited at 120gr. Not sure were I want to sacrifice.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely, going to be a long 4 months.

I want to extend my effective range as best I can. 400 would be great. I dont think I would be comfortable much past that. Of coarse I need to get to the range and practice and verify.

The Sportsmans here has a Paramount and a Pro model but the Pro had a Vortex on it and they said they wont sell it without it. I am still on the fence on the rifle. The CVA looks good and using 140-150gr of BH209 would be great for ballistics. The Knight UL is a lot lighter for carry but I would be limited at 120gr. Not sure were I want to sacrifice.
Are you still in Utah? Hit me up and I'll let you run this paramount pro though it's paces. It has a Vortex LHT on it. Will shoot out past 400

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Are you still in Utah? Hit me up and I'll let you run this paramount pro though it's paces. It has a Vortex LHT on it. Will shoot out past 400

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Thanks but I don't know when I would have time and with how hard it is to find anything I think I'm going to have to buy something soon. Can't risk missing out.

ENCORE

WKR
Learn to dial and with the combination.

I got sick of busting scopes on muzzleloaders and now shoot Nightforce.

NXS - MOAR file.jpg

Rich M

WKR
I have a viper 2-7 scope on mine, soon to be swapped out with a 3-9 VX2. Optima v2. Not a long range gun but good to 200-250 yds. Recoil is less than my 3006.

not sure what the diff is between a long range ML scope and a rifle scope.

204guy

WKR
There's no difference between a lr muzzy scope and a good lr rifle scope. Depending on rifle weight recoil is going to be somewhere between high and extreme. A .45, 77 or 84gr bh209 load is not comparable to a 30-06.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
They are blowing out the Bushnell Tac Ops LRS 6x24x50 atm for $565. Nice LOW made FFP scope for that kinda $$$$s.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
SHVs come out of the same LOW plant as the Tac Ops. LOW has a very solid track record for making good scopes. They make tons of nice optics.