What scope would you put on this rig?

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
I am buying a Ruger SFAR 308 for hog hunting and deer hunting here in Alabama. I am looking for the best glass I can afford, but not looking to over spend if there is not a need to. I am willing to do about $1500 or maybe a touch more. I would love to sneak by at $1k or under if possible. Most of my shots will be in thick stuff, but I would like the capability to reach out to 300 yards as one of the places I hunt has a green field that far. Low light is a top concern.

Some of the options I am considering in price increments are

Trijicon Acupoint 2.5-10 X 56 for around $700

Schmidt and Bender Zenith 2.5-10 X 56 around $1700 definitely top of my budget

Schmidt and Bender Klassic 2.5-10 X 56 around 1200 Hungary assembled
This scope appears to be the best deal thus far, and I am leaning hard towards it even though its assembled in Hungary. I don't think Schmidt and Bender would stand behind them if they were having problems with assembly.

What are the thoughts of this crowd, and are there other options you would recommend? Thanks!!!

Macintosh

WKR
The S&B scope Ive used is good, certainly the equal of the trijicon scopes Ive used. Out of that bunch I’d personally choose based on best fit of magnification range and reticle.

sdupontjr

WKR
I have a SB polar, trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56, and had a 2.5-10x56 klassik. For low light, the klassik is better but is heavier that the trijicon. But the illumination on the trijicon doesn't need batteries or to be turned off. The Polar is the best but will be above your price point.

The klassik I had was the #4 reticle with illiminated dot. Mine also was from Hungary and had an issue. Bought it from camera land a while back. They sent it back and made the repair with no issues.

Also I hunt south Louisiana and low light is a must in my hard woods.

Lowhighlander

FNG
Classified Approved
I’d take a strong look at Leica Amplus 6. Low light is a top priority of mine and I’ve spent a lot of time behind a trijicon accupoint 2.5-10x56 and 3-18x56, Leupold vx6hd 3-18x50, Meopta optika6, and various others and the Leica is very nice and better in low light by a large margin

Weldor

WKR
Those are lots of scope for a SFAR, I would look for lower power 1x8 1x6 for your area. IMHO.

Fritz D

FNG
I have a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 on my 20”. SFAR? Haven’t shot it yet but I’m looking forward to it.

My first post but I’ve been lurking here in the optics threads for months.

Last edited:

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take a strong look at Leica Amplus 6. Low light is a top priority of mine and I’ve spent a lot of time behind a trijicon accupoint 2.5-10x56 and 3-18x56, Leupold vx6hd 3-18x50, Meopta optika6, and various others and the Leica is very nice and better in low light by a large margin
Another vote for Amplus, loving my 3-18.

sturner88

FNG
From my experience, DEFINITELY not an ACOG 4x32... 1.5" eye relief is a PROBLEM in my SFAR. Just asking to get scope bit