What sequence to run?

dennyking

FNG
Hey guys. Just wondering what call you start with when you get on stand if there's possibility of coyotes, bobcats, and cougars? Primarily coyote hunting, but would you start with a distress or a locator call? Thanks.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
From earlier this week.

OP
dennyking

dennyking

FNG
I guess what I'm getting at is if anybody has started with coyote sounds, have you still called in a bobcat or cougar on the same stand? I'm thinking if I start with distress I may have better luck getting a bobcat or cougar to come in first!?

Beendare

WKR
I guess what I'm getting at is if anybody has started with coyote sounds, have you still called in a bobcat or cougar on the same stand? I'm thinking if I start with distress I may have better luck getting a bobcat or cougar to come in first!?

Last edited:
OP
dennyking

dennyking

FNG
Ive never had a bobcat come to a coyote howl if thats what you are asking….

If you are targeting Bobcats you might have some luck with kitten sounds but they comein to distress sounds just like coyotes, only in my experience, they come in slower and are outnumbered 10-1 by the coyotes.
We're targeting predators in general. I just don't want to scare off a bobcat or cougar by starting off with coyote howls then moving to rabbit distress etc. I'm thinking we'd have better luck calling in a cougar/bobcat if we started with distress calls, then switched to coyote howls.....but then does that lessen our chances of locating/spotting coyotes first? Am I making sense?

bucko

FNG
We're targeting predators in general. I just don't want to scare off a bobcat or cougar by starting off with coyote howls then moving to rabbit distress etc. I'm thinking we'd have better luck calling in a cougar/bobcat if we started with distress calls, then switched to coyote howls.....but then does that lessen our chances of locating/spotting coyotes first? Am I making sense?
I’d start with bird distress - play the other stuff after you think they’ve had time to show

WCB

WKR
I can count on one hand the number of times I started a sequence with a coyote sound in areas where that is basically all I am hunting. I do know a couple of those times I ended up calling in a fox after making coyote sounds so....

I would start with a rodent or bird sound first if cats are prevalent in the area. Then go to whatever other distress sounds. If nothing then maybe break into a coyote distress or pup distress sound. I've got into more shouting matches with yotes using location or challenge vocals than anything. Other guys have great luck with it...I;m not one of them.

As suggested, you can call with distress, then just start another stand after 20-30 minutes. Vocals, distress, pup distress whatever ya want to do. I have been in areas where I knew there were coyotes that could hear me and won't come in (i don't have anywhere else better to be) and went through the series multiple times. Longest it took me was 3 hours for one to come in. If you have a lot of places to call, just pick a method and go with it. You will find out pretty fast if what you are doing is working or not.

TheGDog

WKR
It takes longer for a cat to commit to approaching the decoy and caller. They'll sit, or lay down next to a bush, and watch it a lot longer. Really get a good long read of the situation, before they decide to commit to take any action.

So expect to need to continue for up to 45min if cats are part of what you're interested in.

I can't stress this enough... for bobcats make sure your sit spot has the best widest FOV possible for that location!

I’m not sure about if using coyote vocals will deter any bobcats. But I do know that guys always say bobcats take a long time. I’ve called in a few bobcats and all were quick. One was less than a minute. Another was about 5 minutes into calling. Etc