What shooting position were you in for your last shot at an elk?

What shooting position was your last shot from

• Prone

Votes: 85 31.4%
  • Sitting with bipod/tripod/fixed support

Votes: 69 25.5%
  • Sitting without support

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Standing with support

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Off hand

Votes: 63 23.2%

• Total voters

elkguide

WKR
The last two elk that I shot were a bull, off hand at 243 yards followed by a cow at 270 yards from a prone position.

As to the 12 gauge shotgun with slugs, having hunted whitetails where all that was allowed was a shotgun, I have a scoped, Remington 11-87 with a Hastings rifled barrel. It will shoot Lightfield slugs @ 1" @ 100 yards, 2" @ 200 yards but after that the slugs fall off so quickly that without putting a scope that I could dial, I haven't found any point in shooting that distance.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
my bull last year was shot from the kneeling position. Had just dropped my pack, bull showed up, circled me and gave me an 18 yard shot with the 7mm-08. Shooting position was pretty much irrelevant at this range, but I'll take it anyday

OP
B

bluumoon

WKR
For me this is really reinforcing the practice vs equipment thread started by Formidilosus. Almost 30% of votes for shots so far are from off hand.

wyosam

WKR
Last one was a cow at 430 something, prone with javelin bipod on my pack in deep snow. My bull earlier this year was offhand (technically offhand supported I guess- I leaned against a tree) at 170ish. I’d say about half my elk over the years have been taken prone, the other half a mix of standing offhand/sitting/kneeling/random support (tree etc). Practice them all, because you never know what you’ll need in the situation. Prone is first choice, and about all I’ll take anymore beyond 250 or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Standing leaning against a tree trunk, 340 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raygun15E

FNG
Standing leaning against an aspen. Cow elk at 309yds. Hit her right in the front of her chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mustang06

FNG
Last year prone over my pack. @348 yds. Before that kneeling using a tree to rest against @ 220 yds. I always try to get steady against something....but every shot presents a different challenge and you need to be ready to adapt to the moment. I try to practice prone, sitting, standing resting against something, standing with a sling wrap around the arm, etc.

WYCFM1

WKR
Seated behind two trees, pack leaning against trunk of both trees. 187 yards through timber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd be quite proud of my self if I felt like I could pull off a 225 yard shot off hand, going to take a lot more practice.
I was shooting off hand my entire life from the time I got my first BB gun at 5. I didn't even know there was any other way until I got older. I'm LH, so when I had time I'd throw my right arm through the sling and around the back of my elbow. That helps stabilize the rifle as well. My last rifle deer shot was at 375, and that was seated with my right elbow resting on my knee.