What shooting position were you in for your last shot at an elk?

What shooting position was your last shot from

• Prone

Votes: 85 31.4%
  • Sitting with bipod/tripod/fixed support

Votes: 69 25.5%
  • Sitting without support

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Standing with support

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Off hand

Votes: 63 23.2%

• Total voters

rayporter

WKR
i can think of 5 bulls and a cow that were shot offhand and under 100yd.
the last one for sure. he was sleeping in his bed when i spotted him.

RCB

WKR
I shot this year’s cow from a sitting position, rifle supported by my propped-up backpack. Was on a fairly steep slope in a draw, shooting downhill to the other side, about 280 yards or so. There was plenty of time to take the shot (two shots actually) but just wasn’t possible to get into a prone position given the terrain. But I was basically leaning back against the canyon wall, so it was pretty stable anyway. Luckily elk are big targets.

You should try to get close next time

lol funny you say that. that was Sep 2020. This year is ended up being a 15 yard shot.

Practice all year at distance, setup gear to be accurate at distance, and when they come in your lap of all things, you wish you had a bigger peep and sight housing...

Always end up shitting my pants when a 6 point gets that close. I think its a different realm than "buck fever", your brain just wants to shut off and punch the trigger in the general area of the animal when they are within 10 yds. hard to fight. can barley remember the shot but just remember telling myself "look through your f-ing sight dummy"

brushape

WKR
No one position is going to be used the most I would just focus on getting into all the positions in a timely stable manner lots of people shoot and shoot and shoot and then when an animal is in front of them on uneven ground they throw all their practice out the window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last 3 or 4 elk were shot over crossed hiking poles. Loop the wrist straps over the top of each pole and make a sling. That or over a pack from prone or low sitting.
This. Definitely a winning setup. good to have multiple uses for gear. I use this for coyotes, and i have added a loop of shock cord that attaches to the front sling swivel, then further back on the fore end over a hook. This shock cord can be looped over the handles of the poles as well and hooked back to the stock and attaches the poles to the rifle for longer sits. It will sit there all day by itself like a bipod, and if i have to move it quickly the poles come with it and set up again quickly.

Firehawk

WKR
Standing, but leaning into it with a good rest across a rimrock edge. 474 yards. Took a minute to find the right spot that was comfortable, but when I found it, I was rock solid. It was kind of like shooting from a bench.