What shooting position were you in for your last shot at an elk?

What shooting position was your last shot from

• Prone

Votes: 85 31.4%
  • Sitting with bipod/tripod/fixed support

Votes: 69 25.5%
  • Sitting without support

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Standing with support

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Off hand

Votes: 63 23.2%

• Total voters

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
Sitting, left hand on a tree, holding riffle between my thumb and index finger. have shot 3 Elk this way. One at 370+, two under 150.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
standing leaning on boulder, at 460 yards. 300 Winmag 180 gr. barnes TSX. dead in her tracks.

Elk97

WKR
Kneeling in snow, pack on, off balance, elk moving on steep hillside. Missed completely at 50? yards. Never should have pulled the trigger. The bull came charging up the hill right at me, my son shot him at full run from about 15 yards thinking he was wounded. More to the story but a really bad decision on my part.

Solby

FNG
Sitting on the side of a mountain with my rifle clamped into the tripod. Shot an elk there is no way I could have ethically without the tripod.

There are some sniper quality shots without anything more than a natural rest at 1/4 mile or close to it... I have to ask if there was any way to close the distance? Sometimes you got to do what you are presented with, but I think the question is a valid one.

As well appreciate the honesty and humility of some stories owning up that the shot should've been passed on despite success.

OP
B

bluumoon

WKR
Off hand at about 50 yds. It happened fast and I was still wearing my backpack. I've shot variations of @Formidilosus drill some over the last year some (not as much as I probably should have) and I'm kind of glad I did.....
Same. Will def be more even more creative w shooting positions for the drill this year.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Kneeling/rifle. Between spotting the first cow elk and taking the shot on my spike I had to rotate to my right about 90 degrees, so I didn't have my elbows supported. I've spent a lot of time practicing though, so I was able to make the 30 foot shot.

All of my rifle elk over 25 year span were all off hand (max about 225 yards), and all of my bow shots have been standing. And actually, a couple of those rifle shots were from off a horse.
Pretty good shooting! My first elk was about 185 yards offhand. Further than I like but got it done.

NickyD

FNG
I was on my knees and using a tripod. Prone was not an option due to the sagebrush and I didn’t want to expose myself. In my few years of hunting I’ve quickly learned that being able to quickly shoot from awkward positions is critical and you’ll never have enough practice for what the shot will actually be. I’ve had 9 different shot opportunities and none have been the same. And only one was from the prone position that dominates my target practice.

I use Quick Stix when hiking in deep where I have more time for a proper setup. It’s great to combine shooting sticks and trekking poles into a single item.

But when I’m closer to the car and/or in more pressured areas where a quick shot is critical (hunting in Colorado I’ve had seconds of opportunity before having someone else shoot) I prefer Primos Trigger stick. You feel stupid carrying it around, but it definitely gives me opportunities I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting without it.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Wife holding over her bull she dropped with her 7mm-08 at 293 yards. He made it ten feet, laid down and died. Quick-sticks and quick clip adapter on rifle to use black Diamond trekking poles as bipod. System works great for real world shooting

Attachments

• 641CADA1-E0BC-42F2-8205-20074D6131B7.jpeg
    641CADA1-E0BC-42F2-8205-20074D6131B7.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 13

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
The last 3 or 4 elk were shot over crossed hiking poles. Loop the wrist straps over the top of each pole and make a sling. That or over a pack from prone or low sitting.
We did that until we discovered quickstix and quick clip. Because attached allows off hand to hold but into shoulder and aim shot as if we are prone

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Sitting on my couch clicking my mouse on The Hunter: Call of the Wild. Laptop rested across an ottoman. Pretty tough shooting.

Yeah... I'm a bad elk hunter.