What Should I Be Doing Now?

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
We’re two months away from my archery season opening up. Aside from fitness and shooting, what should I be doing now?

I live in the unit I’ll be hunting. It’s a big unit with an average success rate.

I’ve got areas I know elk live.

To increase my odds, what can I be doing now?

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
We’re two months away from my archery season opening up. Aside from fitness and shooting, what should I be doing now?

I live in the unit I’ll be hunting. It’s a big unit with an average success rate.

I’ve got areas I know elk live.

To increase my odds, what can I be doing now?
If it was me personally I'd spend every bit of time I had in there. Not close to the elk so as to bump them. But watch them and watch patterns and see how long those patterns last and how they change as we head towards September. By opening day alot of times you can have an idea of one or 2 things they have a high probability of doing and you can insert urself into the middle of that. On the other side of that coin sometimes they just disappear and decide on something completely new and leave you sitting on the side of a hill confused haha. This is all depending on it being an area you can glass decent.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Pgohil

WKR
Practice calling. Not just making elk sounds. But create scenarios and decide how you would react. When you hear a bull answer your location bugle what is your next move going to be? Let's say you're getting in tight and you bump a cow then what? Run through every possible scenario you can and decide how you will react and how you will call.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve found that calling takes exercise too. The last couple of years I’ve gotten into yelling matches with bulls and both times I struggled to continue. They both lasted 30+ minutes. Sometimes the slow play is really slow! And before someone tells me I call too much both ended with elk in bow range, one of them about 3 feet and so pissed he could barely bugle.

cnelk

WKR
I went thru all my hunting clothes this morning. Checked for any rips/tears, inspected buttons, zippers, etc.
Then I tossed them all in the washer with baking soda and washed them with hot water.

Man, they were dirty

Pack, unpack, organize, sort and repack your gear 2-3 times a week u til the hunt. It won’t make you better but I find it cathartic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
Pack, unpack, organize, sort and repack your gear 2-3 times a week u til the hunt. It won’t make you better but I find it cathartic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly do this. I actually find myself shedding gear as I go because I play with new items or I replace old items and by the time the season rolls around I’m pretty dialed with what goes in my pack.

MJB

WKR
Put boots on new ground in your unit. You need to know the area better than the elk do.