What should I buy?

CDS8034

FNG
Hey all,

I am contemplating the idea of getting into reloading my own rifle ammo. I have done some research so I believe I understand the basics, but a lot more research is needed on my part as I am completely new to this. I see there are some reloading kits available at various stores. Is this a good way to go, or would I be better off buying stuff individually. If so, does anyone have a specific kit or list of items that you would recommend to a newby?i am just trying to determine which brands and what pieces of equipment are recommended from some people with actual reloading experience. Thanks in advance

tdhanses

WKR
Kits are usually a waste, you’ll get stuff that you’ll quickly upgrade.

I got back into it a few years ago and was given a kit, I only use the press from it and am looking to upgrade that at some point.

From there you’ll get many recommendations so best to do your research and then start narrowing down the major components you want, minor stuff you’ll slowly collect as you go.

I would say it depends on what you plan to use your ammo for. You can load some great ammo with kits and I still use the kit my dad and I split 15 plus years ago. Dies I do think you get a lot more out of the higher end you go. Nothing wrong with Lee, RCBS, and Hornady but there is a difference with the dies one step up from the standard $30-40 set. Just make sure the press is not a “C” shape and instead solid metal all the way around with a ram up through. Exceptions would be Forster and Redding T7 as they are plenty strong and rigid. Standard powder measures, beam scales and powder trickler works just fine but is not fast. Get a manual for the bullets you plan to shoot and read it then watch some videos and you will start to figure out what you want and don’t want or can afford.

Why do you want to reload? Cost, precision, fun?

How much free time do you have?

How much do you plan to shoot?

I ask those questions because there is a time and cost impact.

I have a single stage for rifle ammo and a progressive for pistol and 223 ammo. Neither gets used very much right now. Neither have produced enough ammo to justify their cost. There are some good factory options at reasonable cost.

All that being said, if you want to do it, I would piece the kit together. But, that's me. I would rather put together exactly what I want as opposed to getting stuff I don't want.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
C

CDS8034

FNG
I am looking at reloading more for precision vs cost. And to be honest it is just something I am gaining more and more of an interest in for whatever reason. As far as how much I shoot, I do shoot a decent amount and really enjoy it. I figure if I begin reloading that will just give me an excuse to shoot even more. But as I said before, I still have a lot of research to do and will go from there. Thank you for all of the advice that has been given.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing to keep in mind is how much shooting you want to do. For me, I reload about 1,200 rounds of precision ammo a year.... I’m a little OCD when it comes to my reloading, and while I don’t mind reloading I’m not in love with it either. I like efficiency, and minimal time on case prep. Long story short, a few things I’ve upgraded over the years that have made my reloading process more enjoyable and efficient:
Ultrasonic cleaner:I hate cleaning primer pockets, and this does the trick (plus appeases my OCD mindset of uniformity across all cases, as they come out 100% clean)
Motorized case trimmer with 3-way head: trims case, chamfer, and deburr all in one step.
21st century neck turning lathe: I have to turn necks, and this speeds up the process quite a bit.
Auto powder dispenser: I’m running an RCBS charge master, definitely speeds things up for me.

... anyways just a couple things to consider.... an annealer is next on my list once I can scrounge up the money. I’m still doing it poor man style with a drill and a deep socket.

jd270win

FNG
Whenever I introduce someone to reloading, I’ll usually gift them a copy of the Sierra reloading manual and ask them to read the first section, which goes step-by-step through the reloading process. The internet is a great resource, but a manual like that is written by professionals and is always worth the money.

One of the keys to a good reloading setup is a good sturdy work bench that you can bolt your press to. More space=less clutter=safer, better results.

I don’t reload large amounts of ammo, but do enjoy the process, so I am happy with simple, manual equipment. I’ve been using the same RCBS Rockchucker, beam scale, and case trimmer for 25 years with no issues. I use a Lee priming tool, and wouldn’t hesitate to use any of their other equipment. I do covet an RCBS Chargemaster, but that will have to wait until life slows down and I have more time to shoot.

I agree with the comment above, quality dies are worth the investment.

Stickman

FNG
I reload about 18k rounds a year. Between precision rifle matches, 3 gun and USPSA matches and hunting. Mostly all done on 5 presses in the garage.

I’d say, the best bang for the buck for staring out and as you progress in reloading is a Dillon 550B.

This press along with dies, case cleaner, some sort of trimmer and a scale will go along way in making good straight ammo.

Another fabulous press to consider is the Forester Co-Ax.

Best of luck.

I started with the larger rcbs kit added a digital scale, a other tray and some odds and ends.

The kits are not and end of the road solution but rcbs has a promotion every year for like 75 or 100 off that makes them economical.

It will get you started and you can produce quality ammo.

This may be enough if your only loading for bolt action rifles. If your looking for pistol and AR then I would go.a different route but I dont have experience there so i wont add my thoughts

rcbs has a promotion every year for like 75 or 100 off that makes them economical.

Those rebates are nice. I got two charge masters in 2 years for less than $100 each using rebates, active junky and price matching.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I think the RCBS kits are a great way to get started (other brands are probably fine too).

If you're the type of person that enjoys spending hours and hours researching and making lists, then ordering from multiple websites, you can surely put together the best possible kit. The problem is you don't know how much reloading you're going to do since you're just starting out and you don't know what tools you'll use and won't use.

That's why I always tell people to buy a kit, decent dies (I prefer Redding most the time), a couple good reloading manuals, and start loading.

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend ordering the defensive edge DVD entitled "reloading for long range hunting". I bought it when I first started out handloading for my first custom rifle and learned tons! He also does a good job of showing you equipment that is useful.

Reloading for Long Range Hunting

cmahoney

WKR
One thing I battled with when trying to reload for precision was my optical chronograph. I was getting bad info from it which completely wastes your time. It took me a while to figure out my deviations were not off, it was the chrono.

I upgraded to a magnetospeed chrono because a lab radar was too much.

The other piece of gear on my list for more prescision is a higher end scale like maybe a gemtech. I have the Hornady autocharge which I purchased when the first came out. I would not recommend it for accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I battled with when trying to reload for precision was my optical chronograph. I was getting bad info from it which completely wastes your time. It took me a while to figure out my deviations were not off, it was the chrono.

I upgraded to a magnetospeed chrono because a lab radar was too much.

The other piece of gear on my list for more prescision is a higher end scale like maybe a gemtech. I have the Hornady autocharge which I purchased when the first came out. I would not recommend it for accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you mean a gem pro scale?

Umpcoos

FNG
To get an idea of what you need to get started, I would suggest watching the video series Randy Newberg did with nosler a year or so ago.