What size backpack do I need?

Planning a sheep hunt in Alaska for most likely 2021. Have started gathering equipment needed. Looking at packs now.
This will obviously be a guided hunt. Have read lots of posts about what is needed, but haven’t seen anything on what pack size I should be looking at.

Would like to hear from you guys that have gone on this type hunt and maybe even any of you that are guides on what I should look at in a pack. Especially what size.

Thanks in advance.

OP
Silvereagle50
Guessing most of the guides are out hunting already or getting ready to. So probably won't see any answers from them.
So any of yall that have gone on a guided backpack sheep hunt, tell me what you used and what you liked about the pack you used and what you would have liked different.

I used a Kifaru T1 with a lid for my sheep hunt and it worked great. They have discontinued that pack, but it is a 7,200 cuin pack and the lid was around 500 cuin. If I was heading out on a sheep hunt tomorrow, I'd take my T1 and a top lid again with out any worries.

You want a pack that can carry your gear, food, camp and enough of the sheep. Something in 7k+ range

I agree with the 7000 in.³ range. I typically take something more along the lines of a 6000+ when I’m going with a partner and a7000+ when I’m going solo. I’ve never gone on a guided hunt, so I can’t speak to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on duration I'll use anything from a 4500 up to a 7000+. I'd rather have more room than not enough room but with higher end packs coming with meat shelves these days, you can certainly get by with something a bit smaller. My advice would be this...just because you have a pack capable of carrying 7000 CI that doesn't mean you need to fill it!

OP
Silvereagle50
Thanks for those suggestions guys.
I had been thinking I didn’t want to get one any bigger than I really needed.
Have looked at packs in the size range from Exo’s new X3 4800 up to SG’s Brook which is 7400ci. Kinda like that Brook because you can run it in 4 configurations: the full 7400, 5000ci, 2400ci and 1250ci.

keller

WKR
good info from veteran sheep hunters.i went on my first sheep hunt last year guided im from wi.used my kuiu 7200 which I never filled up but it can be sucked down to a 3000 cu inch pack easily.after harvesting my sheep I put in my pack what the guide had in his pack and he put a contractors bag in his pack with the sheep as to not get 2 bags bloody.it also depends on what type of hunt you book. backapack,horses,base camp... talk to your outfitter. best of luck john

OP
Silvereagle50
good info from veteran sheep hunters.i went on my first sheep hunt last year guided im from wi.used my kuiu 7200 which I never filled up but it can be sucked down to a 3000 cu inch pack easily.after harvesting my sheep I put in my pack what the guide had in his pack and he put a contractors bag in his pack with the sheep as to not get 2 bags bloody.it also depends on what type of hunt you book. backapack,horses,base camp... talk to your outfitter. best of luck john

Have you used any other packs beside the KUIU? Asking because I'd like to know what you think about the KUIU vs. whatever else you used.
In my research, KUIU doesn't get a lot of love it seems. They look really good to me. and that 7200 is what I was looking at from them.

DennisT

FNG
Silvereagle,

It sounds like you have plenty of time to make a decision before your hunt.

The best advice I can give you is to actually try on as many packs as you can before you purchase one.

Good quality backpacks are a relatively expensive investment, and each one seems to fit a little different. It doesn't matter what size you choose if it doesn't fit you well. A pack that doesn't fit right can be a really miserable experience.

If you have the opportunity to go to one of the big trade shows. You will likely be able to try on some from several manufacturers. Also, the reps are usually really good about fitting you for a pack, showing you how to adjust it, etc.

On my next sheep hunt, I will be using a SG Sky Tallus. It fits me really well, and it is very comfortable. I have another pack that is about the same size, but it is heavier, and not quite as comfortable. A ten day sheep hunt isn't the place to find out that your pack doesn't fit you.

One last piece of advice that I can give you is to start looking for them to go on sale beginning around the first of November to around Christmas. I got a really great deal on both of my packs in early November.

Good luck,
Dennis

OP
Silvereagle50
Silvereagle,

It sounds like you have plenty of time to make a decision before your hunt.

The best advice I can give you is to actually try on as many packs as you can before you purchase one.

Good quality backpacks are a relatively expensive investment, and each one seems to fit a little different. It doesn't matter what size you choose if it doesn't fit you well. A pack that doesn't fit right can be a really miserable experience.

If you have the opportunity to go to one of the big trade shows. You will likely be able to try on some from several manufacturers. Also, the reps are usually really good about fitting you for a pack, showing you how to adjust it, etc.

On my next sheep hunt, I will be using a SG Sky Tallus. It fits me really well, and it is very comfortable. I have another pack that is about the same size, but it is heavier, and not quite as comfortable. A ten day sheep hunt isn't the place to find out that your pack doesn't fit you.

One last piece of advice that I can give you is to start looking for them to go on sale beginning around the first of November to around Christmas. I got a really great deal on both of my packs in early November.

Good luck,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Great idea on waiting for them to go on sale.
The only show that I know of near me will be the Dallas Safari Club in January. (Not great timing on the sales that happen in Nov and Dec dangit) But I know for a fact that KUIU and SG will be there. Not sure about Exo and Seek. At this time, these are my top 4 choices.

Been looking at the KUIU Pro bags today. For looks and organization, I like them the best from what I see in Youtube videos.

As far as size, I just didn't know if the bags in the 4800-5500 size would be big enough or if I'd need to look at the 6000-7000+ bags.

OP
Silvereagle50
I've only ever had the opportunity to visit with one guide. Met him at a show in OKC last March.
I've emailed him and left a phone message somewhat recently and he finally called me back today (he was coming in with a successful client and had cell service).

So we got to talk a little and nailed down a price (damn good one at that). Anyway, I asked about pack size. He felt like the bags in the 7000ci were where I needed to be. Better too much than not enough.

So now I've narrowed that down.
Looks like my top 3 choices are:
Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900
Kuiu Pro 7800
Exo K3 6400

It might be helpful to start a new thread in the backcountry hunting packs section and ask if anyone lives near you that owned the packs you are interested in and ask them if they wouldn’t mind meeting up to show you their packs. I have met up with two different guys to show them my packs and after meeting them I even offered to let them test drive. There always seems to be a lot of helpful people on here and might be some very close to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DennisT

FNG
Thanks Dennis. Great idea on waiting for them to go on sale.
The only show that I know of near me will be the Dallas Safari Club in January. (Not great timing on the sales that happen in Nov and Dec dangit) But I know for a fact that KUIU and SG will be there. Not sure about Exo and Seek. At this time, these are my top 4 choices.

Been looking at the KUIU Pro bags today. For looks and organization, I like them the best from what I see in Youtube videos.

As far as size, I just didn't know if the bags in the 4800-5500 size would be big enough or if I'd need to look at the 6000-7000+ bags.

If you want to PM me, I can give you some more information on my packs. I didn't even think about it, but Marine4Life had a pretty good suggestion.

keller

WKR
I have not tried any other high end packs. only old cabelas guide frame packs before the kuiu pack.the kuiu was way more confortable put on a lot of miles with it.only thing it seemed noisey and moved around some but I have nothing to compare it too.i bought the load hauler and 3200 bag to fit it for an elk hunt this year which is one thing I like about the kuiu packs is interchangeable bags.

I have both a Stone Glacier and a Barney's frame pack. When it comes to carrying heavy loads on backpack hunts, the Barney's pack wins every time, at least for me.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Just as important as the bag is the frame. You are going to be miserable hauling bulky,, heavy loads on steep, rough country with a frame that doesn't fit your particular body-torso and is capable of 100 lb loads. Most 5000 cu in frames aren't designed for these loads! I've been on quite a few sheep and mtn goat hunts the past few years and would definitely consider a larger bag.. As mentioned above you can always cinch a large bag but if you don't have room you are screwed with a small bag.

When I was searching I had packs narrowed down to Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I went with Kifaru because of all the rave reviews of the comfort of the belt, frame, and shoulder harness. SG didn't come in camo...which also was a deal breaker. The other thing I liked about Kifaru was it was possible to customize my bag with an assortment of lids, pockets, and assessories. The only thing I wish I could have changed was going with the longer frame for taller load lifters....which I can change. I have both EMR2 and Timberline bags. This summer I used the smaller/lighter Timberline bag to scout and switched to the EMR2 for my actual sheep hunt. It only takes me a matter of minutes to switch bags. I would also highly recommend a guide lid which is large enough for quick and easy access to raingear and other essentials.

I just packed out a bighorn ram yesterday. I could barely lift the boned out meat, life sized cape, skull/horns, spotting scope, tri[pod, rifle....althought it fit! My EMR2 is likely around 7,000 cu in and there is no way I could fit this in my 5200 Timberline bag. I'm guessing all of these without my tent, sleeping bag, and gearq weighed 80+ lbs. Obviously if you are on a guided hunt your guide will split a chunk of this but I would highly recommend a large bag. There really isn't that much weight difference between 5,000 and 7000 bags and you'll love the extra room. If you spend a lot of time scouting it may be nice having a pair of bags!

Last edited:
OP
Silvereagle50
Just as important as the bag is the frame. You are going to be miserable hauling bulky,, heavy loads on steep, rough country with a frame that doesn't fit your particular body-torso and is capable of 100 lb loads. Most 5000 cu in frames aren't designed for these loads! I've been on quite a few sheep and mtn goat hunts the past few years and would definitely consider a larger bag.. As mentioned above you can always cinch a large bag but if you don't have room you are screwed with a small bag.

When I was searching I had packs narrowed down to Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I went with Kifaru because of all the rave reviews of the comfort of the belt, frame, and shoulder harness. SG didn't come in camo...which also was a deal breaker. The other thing I liked about Kifaru was it was possible to customize my bag with an assortment of lids, pockets, and assessories. The only thing I wish I could have changed was going with the longer frame for taller load lifters....which I can change. I have both GL2 and Timberline bags. This summer I used the smaller/lighter Timberline bag to scout and switched to the GL2 for my actual sheep hunt. It only takes me a matter of minutes to switch bags. I would also highly recommend a guide lid which is large enough for quick and easy access to raingear and other essentials.

I just packed out a bighorn ram yesterday. I could barely lift the boned out meat, life sized cape, skull/horns, spotting scope, tri[pod, rifle....althought it fit! My GL2 is likely around 7,000 cu in and there is no way I could fit this in my 5200 Timberline bag. I'm guessing all of these without my tent, sleeping bag, and gearq weighed 80+ lbs. Obviously if you are on a guided hunt your guide will split a chunk of this but I would highly recommend a large bag. There really isn't that much weight difference between 5,000 and 7000 bags and you'll love the extra room. If you spend a lot of time scouting it may be nice having a pair of bags!

I was finally able to talk to the guide I’m pretty sure I’m going to use. Along with what he’s told me and all the great advice here, I’ve determined that I’ll be going with a bag in the 7000ci range.
I’ve narrowed my choice to SG Sky 6900, and the KUIU bag. Now that you’ve mentioned that particular Kifaru bag I’ll go and look at it a little closer as well.

Biggest problem for me is the same as I have with boots. Where I live, there is no place within 300 miles to put my hands on any of these.
I’d rather not wait that long, but I hope to get to see some of these (SG, KUIU, kifaro, Crispi, Lowa, etc. ) at the Dallas Safari Club convention this January.