What size cooler

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I have flown back quite a few antelope. I bone them out freeze and wrap in butcher paper. A good size buck will fit into my yeti 40 soft side. It also fits perfectly in an overhead bin or you can gate check it too if the flight is full. A block of dry ice is cheap insurance, and legal to fly as well. Just be prepared, every time I fly through Denver they want to search the entire cooler. A bit agravating but just part of the deal.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

id450

WKR
I like that yeti bag idea. I would add a orien 45 would be perfect. Watch those yeti coolers they are not true to size.

Jardo

WKR
I live in Hawaii and hunt elk in at least 1 state every fall. Sometimes twice. I always have the meat processed before flying home and it’s usually frozen the day I pick it up. I’ve been using the cheap $20 coolers from wallymart and I’ve never had it not be frozen when I get it home.

One year my flight was delayed for 8 hours and still no problem.

Just make sure it’s frozen before you fly home.

As for size, a spike will take 3 coolers, a mature bull takes 5.

I would think one or two coolers would be plenty for antelope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hour drive to Rapid City airport, plus 2 flights with a connection, and another 1+ hr drive home. I'll find some dry ice. Just curious to what size cooler for all the meat...

I did exactly the same thing last year. Drove 2 hrs from Newcastle Wy. to Rapid City. Connected in Dallas for flight to Tampa. My meat, about 30-35 lbs, was boned and frozen in a MR Pop Up 28 pack, lined with one of those grocery store freezer bags. A 1 1/2 hour drive from Tampa and the meat was SOLID when I reached home. The pack was in the overhead bin as my carry on bag. I'll be doing the same with a muley, if all goes well, in Oct.

Last edited:

archp625

WKR
I barely fit mine last year in a Yeti 45. Mine was processed and frozen. No room for dry ice. I drove 12 hours back to NW MO and didn't mess with it until the next day. Meat was still frozen solid. If you are wanting to do dry ice I would get a 50 qt.

Shrek

WKR
Have the processor put the processed meat into the cooler and freeze the cooler along with the meat. Tape the lid shut and don’t open it and it’s good for two days at least. Cheap Walmart five day extreme about 40ish qt. Fill any remaining space in the cooler with ice. Most meat processing places have a minimum of a zero degree freezer and many a -20 freezer. Good hunting !

Jimss

WKR
I didn't look at the posts but would think you would be fine with a light weight cheap cooler. I've traveled with frozen salmon and big game from Alaska in styro-foam fish boxes. I've also used action-packers that aren't even insulated for hauling frozen capes and they worked fine. Unless it's going to take more than a day to return home you'll be fine with a cheap cooler. I'd wrap it with duct tape so their's no way it will leak or open.....possibly line what ever you use with thick plastic garbage bags.

Just remember to keep the weight of your container under 50 lbs so you don't get extra baggage charges. Obviously some airlines are cheaper than others for baggage fees...shop around!

OP
Short Track
I did buy a small cheap rectangle cooler. The bag coolers certainly look easier to carry. We'll see what happens at the butcher. I can always buy a bag cooler in Gillette at the Walmart.

If you put dry ice in a yeti type soft cooler just make sure to leave the zipper cracked to let the gas out...I almost had an incident driving home from an offshore fishing trip with hopper full of wahoo and dolphin...I was lucky and had it passengers floor board...noticed it was swelling up on me...lol

Honestly with a good cooler and frozen meat you don't need any dry ice...I drove 27hrs with 2 overnight stops last year with an elk and antelope butcher and frozen in a 110 2 days later still frozen solid when I got home.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I would not put dry ice in anything that Seals. I used a rtic 65 last year with ice and bone in and had plenty of room. I would use a cheap light cooler so weight doesn’t become an issue

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I have a yeti hopper 20, do you think that would be enough to pack a full processed Antelope? I’m going to be bringing it to a meat processor so it’ll be neatly packaged. The head I’ll sending home separately

OP
Short Track

I used this cooler. It was way too big. About 1/2 filled with meat. The other 1/2 with dry ice, wrapped in paper bags. Then the airlines wanted $150 for declaring dry ice... so the dry ice went in the garbage can.. and I only had meat in the cooler for the flight home.