What size generator?

TwoTikkas

WKR
What size generator would you all sugest to run an elk camp on? It would be used for a couple lights, small microwave, a large cooler, maybe a space heater. Last year we had a big Honda. I want to say 4,000 watt to handle the fridge / freezer and micro wave in the camper. Worked fine until one of our better groomed decided to crank up his HAIR DRYER! Popped the breaker. No biggie. I'd be powering a few things in a tent camp for my daughter and I. I don't have unlimited space so it makes no sense to overkill it. Just thought I'd get the skinny from those who know. Thanks all.

shaun

WKR
I would think 4000 should be plenty just dont run hair dryer with microwave going. 4000-5000 is what we run on our crew trucks and they are more than capable of running 2 concrete vibrators witch take alot of draw.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
I agree. There were 6 of us in camp last year and we powered a 32 ft camper quite well. (except for the hair dryer incident,lol). I'll be running a small tent camp for 2 or 3 of us and was wondering what the minimum wattage would be in an effort to save some space (and money). I see where folks have a lot of good things to say about the Honda 2000 portable during power outages. Everything from TVs to fridges and even deep freezers with switched circuits. I was hoping one would be enough to power a camp without the drain the camper puts on one. Our furnace ran pretty much all night every night. Propane forced air unit. We used a BUNCH of fuel,and had to top her off at 3:00 AM. If I was sure it would take care of a couple lights a large electric cooler and maybe a small space heater I'd gladly give the $900.00 for the Honda EU200i.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I have nothing to contribute but a chuckle when I imagined someone running a hair dryer in elk camp. Did he mousse his hair before heading up the mountain?
:)

6t4nova

WKR
I use a 4000 to power my 30' camper. Haven't had any problems at all. That's powering the main fridge/freeezer, and also the "beer" fridge for the outdoor kitchen. No problems at all running everything in the trailer, including the AC

Beastmode

WKR
A 4000 would be gods plenty. It would come with a pretty price too. I would consider a 2000 watt and you might have to unplug the heater to use the microwave but it would be worth the cost savings IMO.

a3dhunter

WKR
I have a smaller 2200 watt for my fifth wheel, it will run anything but the AC.

While the 4,000 is nice and will do it all, it isn't necessarily needed and will use more fuel.

loner

FNG
Like Robby I can't figure out the hair dryer in a hunting camp?? But then again you must keep the girls happy or no one is happy.
I get asked this a lot becuse I live off grid.
I all ways give the same answer buy a Honda if you can aford it or better yet if you are machanically minded buy a welder genarator combo. Even if you don't know how to weld it is very easy to learn and you will never regret it.
4000 watts should be just fine for you.

Just my thoughts,Loner

Honda 2000 watt... super quiet, super lightweight, and will run pretty much anything besides the AC. For the price of a 3000 honda, you can get 2 2000 watt ones and connect them. That way you can split them if you need them, or double up if you need that.

Joe

wapitibob

WKR
I have the 2000 and a 10' Lance. It runs everything including the air, =but=, I have a 7000 btu roof air unit, not the now std. 11,000 btu ones. You can pick up the 2000 and put it in the truck. You won't be doing that too often with a 3000 watt unit. You can also add your own 80 watt solar panel without much effort. You could actually use the 80 watt solar as a portable unit if you wanted.

2000 watt would be plenty.
Microwave draws about 1500 watts. Lights strings just add up the bulb wattage. 100 watt x 10 bulbs is 1000 watts.
Space heater should be about the same as the micro. Fridge or freezer 1000 watts or so depending on size.
We ran an elk camp in a cabin on a Honda 3500. Had an electric water heater, fridg and freezer and all the lights with no strain on the generator.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
I was thinking Honda. With the reputation they have why look anywhere else? It's going to be an expensive trip with the purchase of the tent and generator,but I believe in buying right the first time. The crew I went with last year may not apply next season,so I'll be on my own. I'm looking forward to sharing the mountains with my daughter. She wants to move to Wyoming. Hunt,fish,camp,and cyber school. She's alot like her dad. Solitude and quiet are very dear to me. I don't hate humans,but they're getting under foot TOO much.

I like the idea of the solar panel. Never thought it would be practical. I may have to do some google searching and investigate this some more. Sounds pretty cool.

Chuffness

FNG
If your considering a 2000 watt consider a Yamaha. Compared to the Honda it is Lighter, quieter and holds more fuel.

Honda or Yamaha both work well and are quiet units.

To determine what size you need just figure your energy consumption and err on the side of caution ie. microwave 1000w-1500w, space heater 1500w, coffee pot 1500w, water heater 1400w-1440w etc. etc.

If you are running an ammonia based refr. system the element should be around 350w, but you will need 12v to run the controls/circuit board unless it is a very small refr. or a Servel or Diamond.

wapitibob

WKR
The solar is for keeping the batteries charged up on a camper or trailer. It won't run a camp by itself.

I should have mentioned that.