What size one man modified tipi?

Steve, I always appreciate your take...no problem.
I agree with your strategy.

In fact, thats where I'm headed with this project....to make it where I can stand upright is a little bigger and badder than I want for solo- I THINK....but thats what I've been grappling with.

I have a shelter like that Small seek version...I don't need another. Those long upside down V shelters give you max room for the weight...but they aren't as good in the wind and won't take a load as well as a modified tipi design.

The Trek pole shelters are UL and serve their purpose....but I'm thinking an extra pound isn't going to make or break me. I think I will start on the bigger one this weekend.

______
Yea sorry didn’t mean to derail your thread. The only thing I can contribute is maybe consider the overall footprint. I don’t know where you hunt but me and a buddy last year had to seek out areas flat enough to fit his sawtooth. It was very roomy and warm for our hunts (including one at 8000 feet in November) but sometimes was difficult to find a spot big enough to set it up. Something to think about if you hunt in steep areas.

Either way that is really cool that you’re going to make your own.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I looked hard at replicating that Sawtooth design- great shelter. There is an old thread here where a member patterned his out and it looked a lot like the sawtooth.

What I found with my tipi is it doesn't need the guyouts due to the design. So a guy can do something more elongated like the Sawtooth buy it will need guyouts to keep its shape and control sagging. I doubt its a big deal either way.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are your designs based loosely on the Vertex tents that Tigoat made? Looks similar with the modified pole forward tipi design.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Are your designs based loosely on the Vertex tents that Tigoat made? Looks similar with the modified pole forward tipi design.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Its an elongated tipi for sure....I didn't base in on anything except playing with what will work for my Large/long pad.

Seems to me I've seen a Ti Goat tipi and it has that catenary cut that swoops low to the ground eating up floor space. This was how my old SL 5 tipi was....it swoops so low that I lost a lot of floor space on the outside 18" of the perimeter.

I get it; The cat cut serves to hold better tension on the tipi from the base....but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, IMO. Plus, its a lot easier to quickly fold and sew straight seams than following an arc.

Edit; I typically arc the bottom seam to help with tensioning the center sections.

___

Last edited:
OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Decision made....and thanks to SteveO for his input.......and pushing me in the taller is better direction. In the scheme of things it adds maybe 2 oz of fabric and a few ounces of pole.

JIC someone wants to build this I have dimensions...and pieces patterned, PM.

I run these about 6" off the ground and this will have a perimeter skirt of about 1/2 sil and 1/2 mesh. Its 5'8" to the ground...but will be about 6'2" finished. Not enough for me to stand completely but close. its 12' 6" at the longest and 8' at the widest.....actually plenty of room for 2 guys.

Finished my grip and larger pouch for my pack...starting this mañana...but I think I'm short fabrics I was initially planning something smaller- so might not finish it until I can get more.
Image 4-8-20 at 5.11 PM.jpg

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
:cool: Glad to be of service...I will pack that extra 4oz any time. Heck I take one of those ultralight cots. I love getting into bed in the backcountry; all comfort.