What size one man modified tipi?

Beendare

WKR
Tooss this out to the DIY braintrust;

I've been trying to decide between two designs for a one man hunting shelter.

Criteria;
strong and take the wind
Easy setup
Roomy without being up against the sides....I'm right at 6'4" 240-ish.
Light...but a few ounces either way isn't going to kill me.
I will be using it on spike in's hunting....and backpacking in the summer....so stove use is probably 50/50 or less.

I made a bigger 12 sided 3 man tipi- 13.5' in diameter that I use with 2 guys...but its heavier duty 1.6 oz fabric and 5# all in. Shooting for sub 3#.

Both of these designs will have mosquito mesh sewn on the perimeter so I can elevate it slightly off the ground for venting- so eventual height will be about 6' taller than shown. Both will take the wind well without guyouts a function of this modified tipi design. Both will have 2 upper vents and a stove jack- TBD. Both are shown with a large long Exped pad for sizing.
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 11.56.13 AM.png

This is the large one....footprint is about 11' x 7' longest dimensions.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Heres the smaller version....about 9'6" x 6' wide footprint...but only 4.5' tall....Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.34.44 AM.png

The left side tip would be cut off for a vent at the end...shown long here for patterning

___

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Heres the underside....pad is the same as in the other but the pole will need to be angled for me to fit. Fabric wise it calc's out to only 3 oz less fabric than the big one. In actuality, it will be less everything inc pole.....call it almost a pound less.
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.28.08 AM.png

I'm leaning toward the bigger one.....what do you think?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ha!
Yeah right, ya joker.......you were using one of those BA copper spur or = for awhile....these are a palace compared to that coffin.

Not with the slope of the walls they aren't. You can remove about 3' of those floor dimensions all the way around to get a better feel for the actual space.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
That Silex is a good idea for a guy that wants a small shelter with trek pole supports....reasonably priced too. I already have a Tarptent similar to that......

I want something I don't have to shimmy into....with room for a cookstove and room for my pack and bow.

_____

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is true. For example, the Cimarron has 94 square feet of space, but only 23 square feet where the walls are above 36".

Exactly, I bought a Cimarron and then immediately sold it after setting it up and realizing that there was no way I was going to get myself and another person in that thing with a stove.

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, those tipis benefit from a skirt around the perimeter....thats the way I have my big tipi set up and thats the way I would do this one. It just about doubles the actual floor space.

I had one of those SL 5's years ago where the walls swoop down to the ground and it ate up 18" of floor around the perimeter- terrible. Plus you have condensation rolling down off the walls getting everything wet.

I have a 12" -16" sil nylon wall on my 13' tipi with mesh vents......works great. I velcro'd that one which is a waste...I never not use it. This one I think I'm going with 12" about 1/2 sil, the other half mesh instead of sewing in the closing vents......making it pitch 6" to 8" off the ground on perimeter. Should be perfect for venting without being drafty.

How do guys do it with those trek pole shelters? I've been using my poles due to bad knees on downhill....do they just collapse the thing when not in it and leave it flapping around?

I want this shelter about 5 1/2'- 6' so its easy to squat or kneel in....should be worth an extra pound to me.

_______

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a 6 man Kifaru. I could not stand up in that thing and I HATED it. I got an 8man I could stand up in...LOVE it. Also now have a Sawtooth for solo. LOVE it. I really really like being able to stand up in my tent.

I had a 6 man Kifaru. I could not stand up in that thing and I HATED it. I got an 8man I could stand up in...LOVE it. Also now have a Sawtooth for solo. LOVE it. I really really like being able to stand up in my tent.
You run a Sawtooth solo? That has to feel like a palace for one guy. Sounds nice

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Beendare, sorry for derailing your thread. Yes, Sawtooth is awesome for almost all my trips. Especially Kodiak. I’m not a follow the animal Bivy guy anymore. I sold my Supertarp. I’m almost 52, I don’t want to crawl around for two weeks at a time. I want to get dressed standing up. I do this for fun so a little bit of comfort is worth it. Wherever I go, I set up a base camp and hunt from there.

getting back to the original post I would go with the taller design and if I were making my own I would make sure I could stand up in it.

0E50FF94-92BB-4EA9-B37C-329355E9C4E4.jpeg

OP
B

Beendare

WKR
Steve, I always appreciate your take...no problem.
I agree with your strategy.

In fact, thats where I'm headed with this project....to make it where I can stand upright is a little bigger and badder than I want for solo- I THINK....but thats what I've been grappling with.

I have a shelter like that Small seek version...I don't need another. Those long upside down V shelters give you max room for the weight...but they aren't as good in the wind and won't take a load as well as a modified tipi design.

The Trek pole shelters are UL and serve their purpose....but I'm thinking an extra pound isn't going to make or break me. I think I will start on the bigger one this weekend.

______

I just about finished the larger grip for my Tradtech recurve riser so i can get on this project.
That is looking awesome. That is on my to do list for one of my risers. Want a slightly thinner grip than it has, be a fun project.

Can’t wait to see how this teepee turns out. Last year I about but the bullet in a teepee build, but it got put on the back burner for now, just not a priority at this point for me.