What size pack for day pack?

Lowg08

WKR
I’m actually swapping it up a bit this year. I’ve down sized allot of gear and I’m hoping 3300 with a lid and access pocket will do me for up to 7 days

Mikenep

FNG
I prefer a 2500 size daypack. Enough room for the essentials plus some. I always like running a hip belt no matter the size.

*zap*

WKR
I have an AMR which is 8000 cubic inches and it compresses down for a great day pack.....

Lowg08

WKR
I’m actually swapping it up a bit this year. I’ve down sized allot of gear and I’m hoping 3300 with a lid and access pocket will do me for up to 7 days
I meant to also say. This seems to be a great size for a day pack small enough for early season but enough room for added late season clothes. It also doubles as a great multi day with the right gear

EdP

WKR
When hunting from a backcountry camp that I have packed in, I use my MR Beartooth 80 with the top pocket removed. It is a huge pack on a relatively small frame. I have plenty of room for cold weather clothing and the bag cinches down into a neat package. It workes well for me but it's not a daypack. I'm just not going to pack a separate daypack into my camp.

For a day hunt from the parking lot I recently purchased a Kuiu 2300. It is about the same size as the rucksack I had been using but is more long and narrow with an excellent stiffener and waist belt that makes it much easier to carry. I bought a solid color instead of camo for when i am just hiking and an Eberlestock rain cover in camo (reversable with blaze orange one side) that fits it nicely. One feature I love about this pack is the pockets incorporated into the waist belt. They are just big enough to hold my EDC 9mm keeping it handy and concealed.

I’ve done well with 1800-2200 Ci packs over the years.
I’ve done 3 days/2 nights quite a few times with a Badlands Super Day. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes not.
Getting along really well with my SG Avail, SG Kiowa and SO Uniweep 4800.

Did one day behind the dogs with a pop up 28 and dumped it.

Avail is my go to if a pack out isn’t in the equation and the Uniweep goes the rest of the time.

eberlestock f1 mainframe with two batwings which is about 1125 ci or 18.5 litres internal storage, keep variety of waterproof stuff sacks sizes from 10l to 50l on hand for some seasonal gear or even overnight gear and can compress it in the middle between/behind the batwings, supremely more versatile than a single bag set up as you can vary to the season easily yet remains small enough to qualify as a day pack/kill kit pack, the permanent hunt gear and day hunt needs mostly fills up the wings and then the seasonal clothing etc. or what not can load in the middle, on the shelf, and it opens up to haul meat which is what happens when you kill something too far to drag back to the truck, the only reason I'd want a different pack is if I hauled big loads constantly (guide or just part of a crew constantly killing elk in back country) then it would be a bigger 90+ liter type but for a mostly recreational hunter who back countries moderately and comes out empty more often than not...pretty versatile set up, it works well for late winter coyote calling as well, fox pro sets on shelf and straps down between the wings for the hikes, coyote decoy in one hand and rifle in the other (or kifaru gun bearer) on way in, drag rope to frame on way out, very handy do all, don't need more packs

Qball89

FNG
Anything in the 1800-2200 cu inch range will generally fit day pack requirements.

Then you have to decide whether you want a framed or frame-less pack. If you're going to carry out meat on your first trip out, you'll likely want a frame pack. Then you'll say, well shoot, if I'm going to get a frame pack, maybe I should get a nice one with load lifters and a bigger bag for more versatility. And before you know it, you've talked yourself into a fancy 3600-4000 cu inch "day pack". :)
I wonder how many people have done this exact thing! I know I pretty much do for everything I look into. I’ve also noticed that the bigger of a pack I have, the more things I consider to be “essentials” for a day hunt!

Tashi

FNG
I would say in the 2000-3500ci range. More if you are hunting in the winter and need the room. I would second others here who have mentioned to make a firm decision on whether you want/need a loadshelf or not when picking the pack. In the “use what you have category” I started out with. Gregory camping backpack in the beginning which mostly worked just fine. But packing meat out in the bottom of the bag was not the end of the world, but it was a pain in the neck. Having a load shelf for meat is great whether it’s 1 day or 5.

peterk123

WKR
5900 with the lid removed and cinched down to nothing. I'm cheap. I use one pack to do it all, including a daytrip fly fishing a mountain creek. No regrets. Works great.

Wymatt22

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 6000 ci pack compressed down for my day pack. Then I can pack out meat easily and not worry about room. It also doubles as my backpacking pack.

I’d honestly say it depends on what you want to carry for the day and how well you can organize it. As well as, if you kill something do you want it to be able to pack out… I’ve used a Kuiu Pro3600 for day hunts and it has more than enough space for a day hunt. I’d say around 3000 is a good size for a day hunt. If you don’t use the space you can compress it down with compression straps.

Supaphly

FNG
I use a MR guide light frame and a terraframe bag for multiple day trips and a mule bag for day hunts.

bluffview

FNG
Late to this party. Long time lurker.

My advice: take what you plan to pack to the store and put it in packs that interest you to see if it all fits and weather it's comfortable or not.