What size Power Bank needed and is solar charging any good?

tntrker

WKR
Heading out for an 11 day guided backcountry hunt. What size powerbank would I need just for my iphone to take pics and gps locating during. Say full charge everyday..

Your phone tells you how many mAh to get to full charge so just pick a charger to fit your needs.

Anker 10KmAh/3500mAh per charge= almost 3 full charges.

Gone4Days

WKR
I went from a 10000 mah to a 26800 mah bank. The 26800 is great. Gives me a whole week of charging.

as @Gone4Days said, get yourself an anker 26800mAH. If you put your phone in airplane mode during the day when using offline MAPS and maybe turn it on at night or higher peaks to check for service, the 26800mAH will last a full week easy. Then if your still concerned about running out buy a smaller anker for backup

Gone4Days

WKR
As far as solar, i’ve never bothered. Too slow and need constant sunlight. Forget solar and get a large capacity bank.

WCB

WKR
I used a 24000mAH and went 8 days on a back pack hunt no issues and still had 1/3 left on the power bank. I also laid in my tent at night listening to podcasts or music for a couple hours while eating and just hanging out.

HOWEVER, I was on my phone almost zero through the day and if it was on it was on airplane mode. Mine has the built in solar on the back not sure how much it helped but when I stopped to glass for any period of time or lunch etc I tried to set it out to maybe gain a little juice.

In all honesty you should be able to go 3 days or so without even having to charge your phone unless you are on it all the time and filming the hunt.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
as @Gone4Days said, get yourself an anker 26800mAH. If you put your phone in airplane mode during the day when using offline MAPS and maybe turn it on at night or higher peaks to check for service, the 26800mAH will last a full week easy. Then if your still concerned about running out buy a smaller anker for backup
Done. Thanks guys!

mlgc20

WKR
Skip solar. I'm sure that technology will improve. But, its not there yet. I'd go with at least 20 mah for 11 days.

JD Jones

WKR
I carry in a Sherpa 100pd. It’s freaking heavy and overkill but it’s also never failed. I’ve had other banks just stop working on me so I am just rolling with what I got and trust

Pramo

WKR
For hunts longer than 4-5 days I use solar and a battery bank. During the day I leave my solar array charging a battery bank. At night I use the pack to charge my head lamp and phone inside my sleeping bag.

Granted I bow hunt so the days are long and plenty of sun

For hunts longer than 4-5 days I use solar and a battery bank. During the day I leave my solar array charging a battery bank. At night I use the pack to charge my head lamp and phone inside my sleeping bag.

Granted I bow hunt so the days are long and plenty of sun
what kind of headlamp do you use that you need to charge batteries during a hunt?

*zap*

WKR
Solar may be a good option but that would depend on your situation. I have a 10 year old ravpower 22,000 that holds a full charge forever, even in cold. Also have a 12,000 ravpower which is just as good. I think keeping things charged up is a very good thing to do....

I skip the solar charger. I've carried one around on two hunts now where it was maybe usable for a half day. Really depends on where you're hunting and when. Probably decent in several states, but fall time in Alaska is rain time. Looking at the 14 day forecast, the guys here that are relying on solar power in the field right now won't get a single bar from their solar chargers in the next couple of weeks.

ksaubier

FNG
I use a small lightweight solar panel to charge my battery bank in the day at camp, and then charge my phone from the battery at night. Works for me. I could live without the solar panel if I limit my phone use more, but in Sept archery for elk there’s usually been sun to charge.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a solar panel this year thinking that would be the stuff. It was a goal zero and 10 watts. It wasn't too bad as far as weight, but I don't know if I got a defective one or not, but I tried charging just my cell phone with it in the direct blazing sun for several days and it would not do anything. After talking with my son who is a genius as far as battery management and power requirements, he suggested I go with a battery bank.

I opted for this model for my backcountry hunts to charge my Apple watch, iPhone, Garmin InReach mini2, Tactacam and Garmin Rino. So far it has worked very well and is not terribly heavy compared to some.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PTNV3CF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

z987k

WKR
I just turn my phone off except for a picture or two here and there. Lasts weeks that way.